PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the clutch master cylinder grommet

chris_h
9th August 2013, 19:09
I changed my clutch master cylinder today and I am struggling to get the grommet back into the cabin bulkhead. What is the best way from inside the car or the plenum?

I was planning to reuse the same pipe but it was stuck solid on the master cylinder so ended up taking the battery out.

Bolin
10th August 2013, 18:30
It is a nightmare.

It is much easier to get your hand in from the plenum side, bu I cannot remember how I did it.

T-Cut
10th August 2013, 20:53
It is a nightmare.
It is much easier to get your hand in from the plenum side, but I cannot remember how I did it.

Lay on roof, tie ropes around ankles and tether to tail pipe. Slither down windscreen and get arms into plenum.

TC

Bolin
11th August 2013, 15:44
Er, I meant that I couldn't remember if I started with the grommet no the inside and worked the outer lip through the hole with hands in the plenum, or if I started with the grommet on the plenum side and worked the inner lip through the hole into the interior with my hands in the plenum! Probably the latter.

T-Cut
11th August 2013, 15:56
I need to cut a 12-13mm hole in the rear bulkhead to get my remote reservoir hose from the plenum area to the master cylinder. Has anyone ever tried it? That's why I was visualising the tethered ankles (see above).

TC