PDA

View Full Version : Recirculate motor

Cybertrucker
9th August 2013, 22:50
Does anyone know if it's easy to get to the motor which moves the fresh/recirculated air flap on the heater assembly? I want to pull the wire off as it seems to be the only way to stop it constantly switching to recirculate. From what I've read on these forums and elsewhere there's no relay to pull out and the fuse which powers it also powers a bunch of other stuff, so I can't pull that either. Disconnecting the wire which supplies power to the motor seems to be the only option, unless the wire passes somewhere a bit more accessible on its way to the motor and could be cut.

SD1too
10th August 2013, 08:37
Chris,

I'm afraid that I don't know the answer to your question, and I agree that the nonsensical switching to 'recirculate' is an irritation, but the actual facility itself is useful to keep out horrible 2 stroke exhaust fumes from mopeds. I've also used mine a lot this summer manually to cool the interior as quickly as possible once the initial very hot air has been expelled.

My 'start up' routine in the winter is to switch off the pesky automatic HRW, and during the rest of the year cancel the 'recirculation'. In fact, I quite often modify the other heating & air conditioning settings manually; do you Chris?

Simon

Cybertrucker
10th August 2013, 11:05
Thanks for the reply Simon. My last car (Vauxhall Omega) had a recirculate facility, which I used very occasionally to get the car warm a bit quicker in the winter. It was under my control though, and very rarely got touched. No other car I've had in nearly 35 years of driving has had recirculate, so I can clearly live without it, but this Rover insists on inflicting it on me every time I put the key in the ignition, and at random points thereafter.

I've got all the other heater settings set to manual, and it remembers them. It remembers that I've taken control of the fan speed, and what I've got it set to, it remembers that I've taken control of the air direction, and where I've got the air pointing. It even remembers that I've turned off the aircon and makes no attempt to switch it back on. By a bit of bad programming on the part of the people who designed it though it insists on taking control of the recirculate all the time, so I'm trying to find a way of beating it into submission.

The recirculate issue is only one of many things I dislike about the car. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to do anything about the hideous dashboard, I've read on here that you can swap the backgrounds of the clocks, but apparently only to brilliant white, so it seems to be a choice between "1930's radio" and "public toilet". Making them black with illuminated numbers like a proper car doesn't seem to be possible.

In the unlikely event of me keeping the car I shall also find a way of turning off the HRW and mirror heaters until the winter. This may also involve removing fuses or cutting wires. More likely, though, is that I shall bin the car.

KWIL
10th August 2013, 11:17
Mine only goes into recirculate when a, I push that switch button or b, when I demand that the internal temperature is less than external ambient and the actual internal temprature is above that also. ie the sun has warmed it all up. It is called Automatic Temperature Control. (Actually a BMW unit forced on Rover designers). Fitted to your Club SE I believe.
Why did you buy the car if it is so awful for you?:(

Cybertrucker
10th August 2013, 11:39
Why did you buy the car if it is so awful for you?:(

I needed a car in a hurry as my Omega had just committed suicide, and I rather foolishly allowed myself to be convinced that this was a good car. (It turns out that the friend who advised me loves these things - I would never even have considered it.) I must admit it's better than walking or going on the bus, but that's about all that can be said for it. It's the most I've ever spent on a car, I've never owned a car with such low mileage or in such good condition, and I've never disliked a car so much. It's an excellent example of the model, and I hate it. It should last someone ten years - I just don't want it to be me!

KWIL
10th August 2013, 11:54
So you will be selling it then rather than vandalising it? Someone on here might love it:}

SD1too
10th August 2013, 15:20
... I've never disliked a car so much ... It should last someone ten years - I just don't want it to be me!
Fair enough Chris. Rover 75s aren't everyone's cup of tea, in fact they're a bit of a cult. It's obvious that you should put it up for sale and get a car which you like. Disconnecting equipment and cutting wires is just spiteful because it won't make you like the car, and will give the next owner problems.

This is an enthusiasts' club so I'm not sure that we can help you any further. Good luck with your search for a vehicle more to your liking though.

Simon