PDA

View Full Version : SRS ECU Wont communicate with T4

carlpenn
10th August 2013, 17:04
I have been to have my new SRS ECU T4'd to the Car today and we still couldn't establish a Communication between the T4 and the ECU. There is a live 12v feed to the ECU in question.

Does anybody have any experience of this issue, or have any idea of what I should be doing next?

I need to get this fixed :p:

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated :D

andyg2011
10th August 2013, 17:06
I have been to have my new SRS ECU T4'd to the Car today and we still couldn't establish a Communication between the T4 and the ECU. There is a live 12v feed to the ECU in question.

Does anybody have any experience of this issue, or have any idea of what I should be doing next?

I need to get this fixed :p:

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated :D

Cant the T4 guy tell you:shrug:

carlpenn
10th August 2013, 17:07
Cant the T4 guy tell you:shrug:

Nope.

Nothing shows on T4 it just says cannot communicate with SRS ECU. We have tried all the logical things, testing live feeds etc and all seems ok :shrug:

andy willi
10th August 2013, 18:53
the really early cars wont communicate sometimes seen this befour but i have a delphi system and it will communicate with it

andy

carlpenn
10th August 2013, 19:03
the really early cars wont communicate sometimes seen this befour but i have a delphi system and it will communicate with it

andy

That could explain it, mine is a 1999 Build. Just registered in 2001, as it was in Japan until then apparently. :D

I may have to make a trip to you then Andy (if that is ok), Can you PM me a rough idea of what it would cost me for you to do it.

I had thought of going to Marinabrian, but its going to be pretty much a full tank of Fuel there and back :eek:

It would be good to find out too, as it may help other members :)

pab
10th August 2013, 20:19
I take it the T4 did communicate with the car, but couldn't establish connection with the airbag module.

Can you be sure that the replacement module is working?

marinabrian
10th August 2013, 20:28
I hope you didn't connect the new SRS DCU to the car without first bolting it to the tunnel, as this causes "crash data" to be logged.
And in answer to Andy, I've never had an issue with communicating with the older cars, even the pre production models.
Brian :D
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/marinabrian/DSC02424_zps6acf9902.jpg

BigRuss
10th August 2013, 20:29
The only early cars that can have communication issues with T4 are the S reg models all production models should read no matter which market it was intended for ;)

Your new SRS ecu will need to be configured to your car of course.

What happened to the old one may I ask ?

Russ

edit as Brian says above if it wasn't bolted down before plugging it in it will log crash data ;)

carlpenn
10th August 2013, 20:55
Sorry, wasn't 100% clear.

The T4 talks to the Car perfectly, but not the SRS DCU, everything else shows up etc and can be diagnosed and so forth

I Bought a new DCU as we suspected the old one was snuffed as it wasn't communicating

We don't know what the problem is as the airbag light is on all the time, during self test it remains on instead of going off and coming back on to indicate a fault in the system

The unit wasn't bolted in no, but, if it isn't working, I doubt it will record anything will it? :shrug: If it records Crash Data what happens?

Marinabrian - What is the Piccy about :p: :D

carlpenn
10th August 2013, 20:59
The only early cars that can have communication issues with T4 are the S reg models all production models

Russ

Mine was built in 1999, I think that makes it a "T" or "V" in UK Market terms doesn't it? It was registered in 2001 in the UK but had lived in Japan prior to that as a Dealer Car apparently.

andyg2011
10th August 2013, 20:59
Marinabrian - What is the Piccy about :p: :D[/QUOTE]

Cause he a smart a@s@s :getmecoat::D

carlpenn
10th August 2013, 21:06

Cause he a smart a@s@s :getmecoat::D[/QUOTE]

<Scratching my Head> :shrug:

Mike Noc
10th August 2013, 21:15
Either Brian's on his hols..... or Newcastle has changed a fair bit since I was last there. :D

Was a fair few years ago mind.

Greeners
10th August 2013, 21:19
The unit wasn't bolted in no, but, if it isn't working, I doubt it will record anything will it? :shrug: If it records Crash Data what happens?

I think the unit is grounded when it's bolted down, so if its powered up when its loose, it spikes it. (I might be wrong !!!)

marinabrian
11th August 2013, 05:34
Sorry, wasn't 100% clear.

The T4 talks to the Car perfectly, but not the SRS DCU, everything else shows up etc and can be diagnosed and so forth

I Bought a new DCU as we suspected the old one was snuffed as it wasn't communicating

We don't know what the problem is as the airbag light is on all the time, during self test it remains on instead of going off and coming back on to indicate a fault in the system

You've answered your own question, an SRS DCU plugged in before being bolted into position automatically lags "crash data" and is now U/S.
So for your next replacement SRS DCU, ensure it's bolted to the transmission tunnel BEFORE you plug it in.
BTW I've not seen one Rover 75 on the Neapolitan Riviera yet.....
Mmm Ice cream :drool4:

carlpenn
11th August 2013, 08:54
You've answered your own question, an SRS DCU plugged in before being bolted into position automatically lags "crash data" and is now U/S.
So for your next replacement SRS DCU, ensure it's bolted to the transmission tunnel BEFORE you plug it in.
BTW I've not seen one Rover 75 on the Neapolitan Riviera yet.....
Mmm Ice cream :drool4:

Joy, oh Joy. So I gotta buy a new DCU then :(

So, going by what you say, have I got this right:

The original may have been duff and wouldn't establish comm's, we plugged in new one, but because we didn't bolt it in, that too blew and wouldn't communicate :shrug:

Sorry if I am being a bit slow :p: (and sorry to be bothering you as you are on your Hols in the Neapolitan Riviera - Is that where they make the Ice Cream :rofl: )

Lovel
11th August 2013, 09:21
New and very good value: Best offers accepted.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-MGZT-AIRBAG-ECU-GENUINE-NEW-EX-FACTORY-UNITS-YWC107090-REQ-PROGRAMING-/370851006774?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5658714936

Or for much less obtain a secondhand ecu (without crash data) from scrappy and reconfigure with T4. With the ECU bolted to chassis first before hooking up harness.

carlpenn
11th August 2013, 09:21
New and very good value:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-MGZT-AIRBAG-ECU-GENUINE-NEW-EX-FACTORY-UNITS-YWC107090-REQ-PROGRAMING-/370851006774?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5658714936

Or for much less obtain a secondhand ecu (without crash data) from scrappy and reconfigure with T4.

Thanks, that is where I bought my new one from to start with :D Good to see they have some left :D