PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder head gasket

Rover joe
11th August 2013, 20:25
I'm thinking on buying an 04 plate 2.5 v6 with 55,000 miles. Are these cars liable to the gaskets blowing like other models ? Thanks

Grumpy1
11th August 2013, 20:33
I'm thinking on buying an 04 plate 2.5 v6 with 55,000 miles. Are these cars liable to the gaskets blowing like other models ? Thanks

:welcome: to this great club Liam. You'll find it extremely helpful in all sorts of ways. The 2.5's and 2.0's very rarely suffer from head gasket problems. 55,000 is quite a low mileage for the 2.5's, so could be a good buy, depending on service history and price. There are some good threads on what to look for when buying one of these fabulous cars. This one for instance http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=75282

Chad. :}

thomas 75 connie
11th August 2013, 20:53
Hi welcome to the forum, The v6s are very robust.

Also have a look at vw,bmw,ford etc forums and see how many of them suffer hgf you will be surprised. Im on a vw forum and the cars pop the headgaskets quite regularly on there

chrissyboy
11th August 2013, 21:05
Hi welcome to the forum, The v6s are very robust.

Also have a look at vw,bmw,ford etc forums and see how many of them suffer hgf you will be surprised. Im on a vw forum and the cars pop the headgaskets quite regularly on there

really ?????? only ever known the passat to suffer hgf but that is not the engine but the stat housing going and people just topping it up instead of getting it fixed.all cars can suffer hgf but the 2.5 seems to sufer the block cracking instead of the head gasket going .seen 4 myself with overheating problems and all had cracked blocks.. i have had lots and lots of fords and not one has had hgf,so dont know what the peeps on the forums are doing to them .got a focus at the moment along with a ka ,both run like new and very very smooth ...

thomas 75 connie
11th August 2013, 21:10
really ?????? only ever known the passat to suffer hgf but that is not the engine but the stat housing going and people just topping it up instead of getting it fixed.all cars can suffer hgf but the 2.5 seems to sufer the block cracking instead of the head gasket going .seen 4 myself with overheating problems and all had cracked blocks.. i have had lots and lots of fords and not one has had hgf,so dont know what the peeps on the forums are doing to them .got a focus at the moment along with a ka ,both run like new and very very smooth ...

Have a look on the forums Chris.

Its nearly a post everyday about it.
I had a golf vr6 (hgf) so its not just rovers it seems every other manufacturer has it aswell

kaiser
11th August 2013, 21:12

They do not blow head gaskets.
They have problems with cracked plastic bits mainly, and need belts replaced which is expensive.

the engines are generally reliable apart from that.

The head gasket problems are chiefly relating to the 1.8 engine, which is a different construction.

NigelOBB
11th August 2013, 21:17

Just check when the belts were done.. a lot of cars are sold when the owners find out the cost of a belt change.. Its a good leverage point when it come to the price.. Im sure there will be someone in your area how would check it over for you, a second pair of eye is always good..

Welcome to the club