PDA

View Full Version : Rickety parking sensors - a mild warning

Blue Straggler
12th August 2013, 11:50
I've mentioned elsewhere that I had clutch problems which turned out to be the master cylinder, and I am getting discs and pads replaced all round too.

Thought I'd share some comedic mishaps on a lighter note, with a little warning embedded :}

1) I clouted a pothole on a dirt track near Buxton, which dislodged the exhaust heat shield on one side (apparently these things are held on by faith and goodwill rather than a proper fixing)

2) Jacked Humphrey up and propped him on an axle stand so I could get underneath and improve the heat shield fixing with two short bits of string

3) Lowered him down, took him out to put some air in his tyres, came home, reverse parked, thought momentarily "that steel post looks closer than normal, but the parking sensors haven't even started beeping yet so I will just continue reversing"

4) "CRRRRUUUUUUSH" goes one corner of my rear bumper

How we laughed...

It seems that the simple act of raising and lowering the car with a jack must have sent some vibrations down the chassis as one of the four sensors was dangling loose, which obviously confused the whole 4-beam sensor system. I am not sure what the fixing is meant to be but as it is all just plastic-on-plastic I simply superglued it back in place.

However the (as yet unfixed) dent in one corner of the bumper also contains a parking sensor which is now pointing in the wrong direction, so they are haywire. Removed the fuse for now (which also loses me the rain sensor and the green dimming on the rear view mirror). Tried to remove bumper so I could attempt to push the dent back out but one screw has a rounded off head and no screwdriver will shift it. Probably need to drill it out. Not urgent.

The irony is that if I'd never had parking sensors in the first place, I would not have been subconsicously conditioned to merrily keep reversing if there is no bleeping!

So it's one to watch for every time you jack the car up - go back and check the sensors!

Cheers

johnny t
12th August 2013, 14:20
Usually if there is a fault with the parking sensors you get a continuous beep instead of the single beep you get when you select reverse. So don't know what happened there

VMax1000
12th August 2013, 20:27
If I see something close I brake and get out to check.
Relying on an electric bleeb drives up insurance prices :)