PDA

View Full Version : What A Pain.

ardvark
12th August 2013, 11:59
Got the tools. Got the time. What happened? Can't undo a bolt. What job I'm talking about is the top front suspention bearings. The bolt I can't undo is the pinch type bolt under the hub. I undid the nut but the bolt is rounding off and won't budge. WHAT A PAIN :mad:
Local garage charges £45 an hour labour and quoted about two hours for both bearings.
What is frustrating is I did all the prep work. WD40 of the bolts every day over the w/end.
Any one any suggestions to shift this bolt. I'm guessing it's one that screws thru' the hub and then the nut goes on?

berkshirelad
12th August 2013, 12:16
Firstly, you need penetrating oil to free rusted bolts, not WD-40.

Secondly, this particular bolt is a known problem. If you do a search of the forum, you will find hoe otters have overcome the issue. You will need new bolts...

Number 6
12th August 2013, 12:19

Secondly, this particular bolt is a known problem. If you do a search of the forum, you will find hoe otters have overcome the issue. You will need new bolts...

Definetly need penetrating oil like Plus-Gas if you can still get it. WD is only a contact cleaner

dattrike
12th August 2013, 12:21

Did you soak the head end as that's the bit that usually seizes?
Try warming with a blow lamp as well to break the corrosion.
When I got mine out, I copper slipped the non threaded part on the new bolts
in the hope that if I had to do it again they might come undone more easily :shrug:

ardvark
12th August 2013, 12:47
Does the bolt screw into the hub where the nut is? If it does'nt then I can just knock it thru'.

Dashiel
12th August 2013, 13:01
For suspension bolts such as these:
Releasing or freeze / cracking spray
Blow torch camping gaz from diy store
6 point wall drive sockets
Stop what you are doing if you dont have all 3 of the above

Andydote
12th August 2013, 13:02
I'm doing this job at the weekend...

Hope it's easily done because the previous owner had them changed 1 year ago so the bolts should be easy to shift.

FrenchMike
12th August 2013, 13:06
Does the bolt screw into the hub where the nut is? If it does'nt then I can just knock it thru'.

Hi,

Simply bolt and nut:

A little scheme:

Good luck

Mike

sof007
12th August 2013, 13:15
I had this problem as well. Ended up banging an old 12mm (I think) socket onto the bolt after it was rounded which gave me enough grip to get a turn on the bolt.

ardvark
12th August 2013, 14:15
Mike,
I can take the nut off but the bolt is stuck. If I could take the bolt out as well then I'd be able to carry on with the job.

Billy1mate
12th August 2013, 14:20

So other forum members are hoe otters! :D:D:D:D