PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Bolt Remover

ardvark
12th August 2013, 14:41
I've been looking in the net about removing a rounded bolt. There seem to be these socket type tools that twist and lock onto the offending boltheads.

Are there any members who have any of these sockets?

Are they any good?

If so what make are they?

hbcmike
12th August 2013, 14:57
What kind of bolt do you mean? There's lots of bolt extractors on the market and it depends on size and location which will work best.

catmandu
12th August 2013, 14:58
Depends on what stud you need to remove, if you are refering to a locking wheel stud the sockets are a bit hit and miss, I had a set from halfords but they were useless so took nthem back and had my money back. The only one that I have seen work properly is the Dynomec kit, but I believe they cost an arm and a leg. If it is a "normal" stud or bolt, the best thing I find is the standard left hand threaded stud remover as long as you use the right size, remover needs to be about 75% dia of stud.

nathan
12th August 2013, 14:59
I've been looking in the net about removing a rounded bolt. There seem to be these socket type tools that twist and lock onto the offending boltheads.

Are there any members who have any of these sockets?

Are they any good?

If so what make are they?

my locking wheel nuts have rounded off need to remove them any help with this issue would be great

ardvark
12th August 2013, 15:36
The bolt I'm talking about is the one under the front hub. It's and pinch style one. I've undone the nut but the bolt is getting rounded off.

FrenchMike
12th August 2013, 15:44
The bolt I'm talking about is the one under the front hub. It's and pinch style one. I've undone the nut but the bolt is getting rounded off.

Now ,nut removed ,have you tried pushing the bolt with a hammer ?

hbcmike
12th August 2013, 15:49
Re Dynomec - some tyre places have the kit, I had four bolts removed, one quite damaged, for £20.

Re the front hub bolt. Hmm, I had this too, both sides rounded off and seized in. Was trying to take off for a clutch change, ended up taking off the wishbones from the other end to enable the drive shafts to come out.

I've no experience of this but a bolt extractor may work, you may need to heat the area to help free the bolt, you may be able to drill the bolt out, or I'd find a good local engineering firm and ask them to do it for you. I'll try most things, but a pro might be cheaper and easier in the long run.

I'm sure other forum members may be able to give another view.

Goodtimegaz
12th August 2013, 16:43

Heat and hammer or drill it out, don't waste your money on extractors for that particular application.

ardvark
12th August 2013, 18:16
I'm still a little concerned wether the bolt screws thru the pinch part of the hub or not before having the nut on.
Can any member confirm this or not?
It's no good me trying to knock the bolt out if it's screwed thru' the hub.

FrenchMike
12th August 2013, 18:29
No worries:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001544

Heddy
12th August 2013, 18:34
I don't know the bolt you are talking of but can you get a small pair of Stilsons on the head? These will bite into the metal the more you try to undo the bolt. Stilsons are serrated jaw adjustable pliers. Apologies if you already knew this :D Ah, just seen the pic. The bolt doesn't screw into anything other than the nut so yes, try and biff it out after using WD 40. Or maybe push it out using a G clamp :shrug:

tourer
12th August 2013, 18:46
I don't know the bolt you are talking of but can you get a small pair of Stilsons on the head? These will bite into the metal the more you try to undo the bolt. Stilsons are serrated jaw adjustable pliers. Apologies if you already knew this :D Ah, just seen the pic. The bolt doesn't screw into anything other than the nut so yes, try and biff it out after using WD 40. Or maybe push it out using a G clamp :shrug:

It's been said many times..........WD40 is not penetrating fluid.
Use proper penetrating fluid.

RPWC
12th August 2013, 18:53
hammer and punch,or drift , will knock it out.

chris75
12th August 2013, 18:55
As said before , it is not threaded in the hub . It has a plain shank and is tightened in place by the nut ,locating in a groove on the ball joint pin , so it will drift out :}
They can become bent in use , often due to overtightening around the ball joint pin. A gentle spreading of the clamping arms which the pinch bolt tightens onto , using a small chisel or similar , can help loosen it.