PDA

View Full Version : In tank fuel pump question

Mickyboy
12th August 2013, 17:04
Hi everyone

I have a question that I hope someone might be able to answer, I have a 53 plate cdti with 160 thousand on the clock 2 owners full service history, however I noticed today when the fuel was at 1/4 of a tank and I spun round quick the car started to run lumpy, I then parked it up for a few minutes and it was difficult to start, (more difficult normally in the morning) however once started again it appeared ok, I then went and put 20 quids worth of diesel in it and it has seemed ok again, obviously starting up ok while warm,( haven't tried it cold since)

So my question is does this sound like in tank fuel pump problem?
Oh have listened for pumps priming on startup and can hear the under bonnet buzzing/humming I think from the drivers seat unsure as to in tank pump?

Has anyone replaced there's and if so how many hrs labour is it

Kindest thanks michael

T-Cut
12th August 2013, 18:28
- - - I noticed today when the fuel was at 1/4 of a tank and I spun round quick the car started to run lumpy, I then parked it up for a few minutes and it was difficult to start, (more difficult normally in the morning) however once started again it appeared ok, I then went and put 20 quids worth of diesel in it and it has seemed ok again, obviously starting up ok while warm,( haven't tried it cold since)

So my question is does this sound like in tank fuel pump problem?

It's a classic sign of a failing ITP. It will eventually stop pumping and the engine will never start with less than a quarter tank of fuel. If you never allow the tank to get this low, the UBP may well cope for thousands of miles. On the other hand it may expire pretty quick.

TC

Mike Noc
12th August 2013, 18:44
As TC says sounds like ITP failure. To check unplug the UBP then with key to position two you should be able to hear a faint hum from the open fuel filler pipe for up to a minute. If you can't hear anything then likely your ITP has had it.

If you let the tank run lower than a quarter full you risk the engine cutting out and not restarting. If that happens you may well need more than a single 5 litre can of fuel to get going again.

Mickyboy
12th August 2013, 21:48
I take it that with about half a tank it should be safe for a while, could the ITP be causing the difficulty in starting from cold as well, as sometimes it needs some throttle to get going, any ideas of labour cost/hours?
Thank you for your help
Michael

Mike Noc
12th August 2013, 23:49
With half a tank of fuel the car will start and run perfectly if everything else is working correctly even with a failed ITP.

Other common causes of difficulty in starting are a failing cam sensor or injector leakback, but if your ITP has failed and the UBP is worn then that may also cause it.

First thing to do is check that your ITP is working.

Doesn't take long to change the ITP - I'm not in the trade but if a garage took more than half an hour I'd be surprised.