PDA

View Full Version : Rear springs

trimani
12th August 2013, 21:25
Whilst having my brakes checked, I was told BOTH of my rear springs were broken.

I was very surprised as MOT only 2 months and hardly any miles since ! Car seems to ride and corner ok !

Car is '75 Connie SE Auto 2ltr 2001. Can any one help with type of rear springs required. I believe some have different colours on them.

Any advice ?

thank you

trimani (Alf)

Grumpy1
12th August 2013, 21:45
Whilst having my brakes checked, I was told BOTH of my rear springs were broken.

I was very surprised as MOT only 2 months and hardly any miles since ! Car seems to ride and corner ok !

Car is '75 Connie SE Auto 2ltr 2001. Can any one help with type of rear springs required. I believe some have different colours on them.

Any advice ?

thank you

trimani (Alf)
Apparently the colour codes are somewhere under the rear seat. Whoever thought that was a good idea for goodness sake?!

Chad.

Charles
12th August 2013, 22:02
I have had to replace all four of my springs this year. Not sure whether this is due to age or City of York Council's obsession with speed-bumps (of which there are umpteen around here, including a pair outside my neighbour's house - our house shakes every time a bus goes past!). Cost to replace, including parts and labour, was approx. £90 each if that's any help.

Grumpy1
12th August 2013, 22:09
There are traders on here I believe who will fit springs supplied by yourself for £30 per spring. I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!

Chad. :}

Charles
12th August 2013, 22:27
Wish I'd known that a few months ago! How much are the springs?

Grumpy1
12th August 2013, 22:34
Wish I'd known that a few months ago! How much are the springs?

These are advertised as OE quality. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230952592948?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

crofts
16th August 2013, 01:37
Best of British Rover had O/E springs at a fair price. ECParts had a good make
at, I think, about £56 each IIRC.
Don't feel bad about broken springs, seems most Rover 75/ZT owners have had the problem..........and it's not just Rover, other makes have the same problem.

Clacksman
20th August 2013, 22:28
I have a broken spring on my 2004 ZT-T 1.8 T Estate. My local garage cannot locate a replacement. Also there is no code under the rear seat - there is a label but it is blank.

Has any one any idea what spec spring I should be looking for and where I might find one?

Grumpy1
21st August 2013, 09:07
:welcome: to this great club Clacksman. Go onto 'Euro Car Parts' or 'Car parts 4 less' website, type in your reg no in the box top left, that will then show your model. Then enter rear spring in the search box and it should come up with a selection of different makes /prices. Tell your local garage that they can't have tried very hard! :shrug:

PS There are always plenty on Ebay as well.

PPS You will probably notice that the web sites are very similar and that the prices on 'Car Parts 4 Less' are cheaper for the same item. Funny that isn't it! ;) :D

Clacksman
21st August 2013, 10:51
Thanks for your help Grumpy1 but I guess my local garage may have tried quite hard after all. Those two sites list only Front springs - no rear!

I have found that Rimmers list rear springs as "in stock" but there are two part numbers listed - RKB000890SLP and RKB000920SLP, substitutes for the Orange,RG and Grey,RF coded springs respectively.

In the absence of a code label under the rear seat which should I choose? Maybe Rimmers will be able to tell me?

Ebay ads all seem to say "Not suitable for Estates" even though the title may say ZT-T

Grumpy1
21st August 2013, 12:17
Thanks for your help Grumpy1 but I guess my local garage may have tried quite hard after all. Those two sites list only Front springs - no rear!

I have found that Rimmers list rear springs as "in stock" but there are two part numbers listed - RKB000890SLP and RKB000920SLP, substitutes for the Orange,RG and Grey,RF coded springs respectively.

In the absence of a code label under the rear seat which should I choose? Maybe Rimmers will be able to tell me?

Ebay ads all seem to say "Not suitable for Estates" even though the title may say ZT-T
Ooops. Sorry about that. Mine being a saloon, I was unaware of the problems with the tourers.

Chad.

Rob Bell
21st August 2013, 17:07

I've seen that exact same advert. It's as clear as mud. Probably the thing to do is either go somewhere else (if they can't get the advert right, what chance of them sending the correct spring?) or mail them.

I am tempted to do the former to be honest, but first need to confirm whether or not my springs are actually broken (I strongly suspect that they are, sadly)

suzublu
21st August 2013, 17:33
Have a read through here for colours & codes for springs... http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=82676&highlight=spring+label+colours

SD1too
21st August 2013, 17:50
I've seen that exact same advert.
Tautology Rob. :D Try to resist copying the Americans. They have their own language. ;)

Simon

Billy1mate
21st August 2013, 17:53
Lift the rear seat cushion base, on the left hand side should be a label with spring colour codes on it.

psmith
22nd August 2013, 14:01
I have just replaced the rear spings on my tourer. I bought them from euro car parts and they were in stock. I did remove the reat seat to check what springs / dampers were fitted - although on dismantling the springs and looking at the dampers on the vehicle they were clearly marked. Mine had the self levelling option which uses a slightly different spring but euro car parts stocked both types.

kraanc
22nd August 2013, 14:34
I have ZT-T 190 original spring set for sale if anybody needs these. I bought comfort set right here in forum, and have my original "too harsh for me" set left :). Used, but in good condition. all 4 springs, front and rear. Color codes as follows:
Front springs:
KV6 Sport suspension RH Brown/Brown QJ 275.59mm 16.25mm 37 N/mm RND 000340
KV6 Sport suspension LH Brown/Brown PD 275.59mm 16.25mm 37 N/mm RND 000350
Rear springs:
ZT-Tourer 190 early standart set Grey RF RKB000250
Location - Latvia, so delivery will cost approx 20-25pounds.

crofts
24th August 2013, 03:11
:welcome: to this great club Clacksman. Go onto 'Euro Car Parts' or 'Car parts 4 less' website, type in your reg no in the box top left, that will then show your model. Then enter rear spring in the search box and it should come up with a selection of different makes /prices. Tell your local garage that they can't have tried very hard! :shrug:

PS There are always plenty on Ebay as well.

PPS You will probably notice that the web sites are very similar and that the prices on 'Car Parts 4 Less' are cheaper for the same item. Funny that isn't it! ;) :D

CP4Less told me yesterday they are not the same Company.....only that they buy the spares from ECP ! ! ! ! !

crofts
24th August 2013, 03:36
I have just replaced the rear spings on my tourer. I bought them from euro car parts and they were in stock. I did remove the reat seat to check what springs / dampers were fitted - although on dismantling the springs and looking at the dampers on the vehicle they were clearly marked. Mine had the self levelling option which uses a slightly different spring but euro car parts stocked both types.

They list 2 Sachs rear springs. Lighter one at £79.08/pair & Heavy Duty at £91.80/pair. Which did you fit ? ?
No one here could tell me. Phoned Sachs, Germany who asked me to speak to tech support in UK. When i spoke to them they said couldn't help as they sell them as Boge and ECP buy direct from them in Germany as Sachs.
Car Parts 4 Less first supplied me the lighter spring. (ECP only had 1 spring in stock) Got cold feet and ordered the heavy duty. However after lots of enquiring the consensus was that the heavy duty were if pulling a caravan etc.
My tourer is never heavily loaded (also no hitch) so will fit the lighter springs I think

psmith
24th August 2013, 08:18
They list 2 Sachs rear springs. Lighter one at £79.08/pair & Heavy Duty at £91.80/pair. Which did you fit ? ?
No one here could tell me. Phoned Sachs, Germany who asked me to speak to tech support in UK. When i spoke to them they said couldn't help as they sell them as Boge and ECP buy direct from them in Germany as Sachs.
Car Parts 4 Less first supplied me the lighter spring. (ECP only had 1 spring in stock) Got cold feet and ordered the heavy duty. However after lots of enquiring the consensus was that the heavy duty were if pulling a caravan etc.
My tourer is never heavily loaded (also no hitch) so will fit the lighter springs I think

EURO CAR PARTS list 3 types of SACHS rear coil springs for the rover 75 tourer
My damper identification was "J" and my spring identification was "RH" which details Self Levelling Option
The part number for this is 627750610 (Coil Spring - self levelling type)

They also stock 2 other types for standard type dampers
627750600 (Coil spring standard duty - non self levelling)
627750730 (Coil spring heavy duty -non self levelling )

Remember to retain the top and bottom rubber mountings as I found it difficult to find replacements for these so fitted the old ones to the new springs.

E_T_V
26th August 2013, 21:54
I have a broken spring on my 2004 ZT-T 1.8 T Estate. My local garage cannot locate a replacement. Also there is no code under the rear seat - there is a label but it is blank.

Has any one any idea what spec spring I should be looking for and where I might find one?

I've recently had this issue and sourcing springs was a pain in the bum.

Check what code is on the spring. It is probably RQ (Brown) I think. If so then you can either buy aftermarket Suplex springs (which are supplied by Rimmers although not listed on their site), or do as I did and fit a pair of springs for the diesel model (white colour code possibly) - They are the only other springs listed for the MG tourer anyhow.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1329964#post1329964