PDA

View Full Version : Airbag light, with a strange twist

boson
13th August 2013, 11:49
Hi all,

I've got a very nice 75 Tourer (perfect in every way!) with a strange airbag light problem. Like everyone else, it is intermittent, but very predictable, so it will come on (and stay on) every second turn of the key, which means it goes off every other start.

Presumably that's enough for it to fail it's MOT. I had a T4 session at a garage and was told the airbag ECU was not responding to any commands to clear or reset the system so the recommendation was to replace it.

There were a few other error codes on the system, mainly to do with the drivers side impact sensor, so I dug out the sensor and had a look. There's no sign of corrosion, it looks in perfect condition. Is there any way to check whether it is faulty? No issues with the connectors under the seat.

Has anyone else had the reliably intermittent airbag light problem? And does it actually sound like an ecu problem? I've got a new airbag ecu which I'm thinking of fitting but will need a T4 session I guess - is there anyone with a T4 in the London area able to give me a hand? I'd rather give the money to a member than a garage!

Thanks!

beinet1
13th August 2013, 11:55
In my case, it was the cable under the seat, and not the connector that was the issue. Take a look here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=148595

Replacing the cable is at least worth a try if nothing else works...

david2000
13th August 2013, 19:08
hi
i had the same problem,it is morethan likely the connector under the seat,dissconect the battery and leave for 10 minutes then disconnect the air bag connector and spray inside the connector with wd40 you can do the same to the side impact sensor
good luck and hope this info helps

boson
13th August 2013, 21:02
Hi david2000, I've done that, pretty sure they aren't the issue...diagnostics didn't show any of those sensors as troublesome.

Beinet1, I'll have a look at the cable, but so far the cables look in pretty good shape. I have gutted the car out and just about to replace the ECU. Does anyone know of a member with a T4 in/near London?

Trophy Blue Tourer
14th August 2013, 08:35
You need PhilT4 a member on here!

He's in Olney near Milton Keynes

Try a P.M or P.M me for his mobile!

Andy