PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish handling and rattles and knocks

Mark2000cc
13th August 2013, 12:48
Hi everyone, my car is booked into the garage as I think I have a front suspension issue...
The symptoms are a knocking sound that can be felt through the steering wheel a little bit when turning a corner in either direction, braking, and acceleration.
The only way I can describe it is it sounds like there is a marble rolling about and hitting something under the steering wheel.
I have new springs and shocks fitted all round and have checked the springs and they are fine.

Also the steering wheel wobbles a lot when I go over bumps such as speed humps and the car seems to want to go in all directions :(

Does anyone know what the problem could be, I just don't want the garage to try and rip me off as I don't fully trust them (cynical I know).

Also at the same time I have asked them to perform a gearbox oil flush and change, also sort out a annoying rattle with the rear exhaust bracket and replace my useless red powerflex lower engine mount.
Anny advice is appreciated :}

Mark2000cc
13th August 2013, 14:15
no ideas anyone:shrug::)

Godfer
13th August 2013, 14:21
no ideas anyone:shrug::)

Mark,

I've had broken springs and top bearing mounts, knackered drop links and track rod ends replaced in the past. Just this last week or so, my n/s top bearing has given up the ghost - since then a terrible knocking has manifested and I am convinced a spring has broken again! I am awaiting a mechanic friend of mine to swap the bearing and investigate!

I'd be inclined to check carefully the springs...mine had to be removed to confirm a break as they 'snapped' in such a place as to not appear with a visual inspection.

It is very frustrating and hope you can quickly\easily resolve it. Keep us in the loop as to progress.

rovexCDTi
13th August 2013, 14:23
Inner tie rod? Grab the steering rods and try to move them manually, they shouldnt knock or wobble at all. Loose rack mounting bolts maybe?

Canonite
13th August 2013, 14:24
Main culprit for knocking are the drop links and rear lower arm bushes.
I wasn't that fortunate and needed to replace both lower arms.

When pulling off a roundabout onto a road I couldn't let the wheel slide through my hands as it wouldn't point in the right direction, it would go wherever it wanted to.
Lower arms solved it.

Mark2000cc
13th August 2013, 14:26
Mark,

I've had broken springs and top bearing mounts, knackered drop links and track rod ends replaced in the past. Just this last week or so, my n/s top bearing has given up the ghost - since then a terrible knocking has manifested and I am convinced a spring has broken again! I am awaiting a mechanic friend of mine to swap the bearing and investigate!

I'd be inclined to check carefully the springs...mine had to be removed to confirm a break as they 'snapped' in such a place as to not appear with a visual inspection.

it is very frustrating and hope you can quickly\easily resolve it. Keep us in the loop as to progress.Will do godfer,im almost sure the springs are fine ,but there does seem to be a little play in the cv joint is this normal? It is not much as all but if I push and pull to the centre of the car and out again it moves about 2 or 3 mm and a little clunk when it hits,could this be it?
My garage thinks not by describing it as he says it would make a clicking noise on full lock and it doesnt:shrug:

Mark2000cc
13th August 2013, 14:29
Inner tie rod? Grab the steering rods and try to move them manually, they shouldnt knock or wobble at all. Loose rack mounting bolts maybe?

Main culprit for knocking are the drop links and rear lower arm bushes.
I wasn't that fortunate and needed to replace both lower arms.

When pulling off a roundabout onto a road I couldn't let the wheel slide through my hands as it wouldn't point in the right direction, it would go wherever it wanted to.
Lower arms solved it.
Wow,now you may as well be talking Chinese to me:D lol ,why are there so many components to suspension:shrug:?

Thanks guys I will mention all of the things to the mechanic and will try and check the info you have given me.

patrolman pete
13th August 2013, 14:54
When my lower arm rear mount failed i was able to push the wheel backwards and forwards in the wheelarch. This caused the car to knock and wander about on the road. Worth a quick look.