PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel troubles!

zero2
14th August 2013, 09:34
Hello all.

I've just been out to try and straighten my steering wheel, it's been driving me mad for a while. I loosened the first torx bolt easily, then I tried to loosen the second and the bolt is threaded :eek::eek::eek:

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ben

Rev Jules
14th August 2013, 09:44
Hello all.

I've just been out to try and straighten my steering wheel, it's been driving me mad for a while. I loosened the first torx bolt easily, then I tried to loosen the second and the bolt is threaded :eek::eek::eek:

Many thanks

Ben

Hi Ben.
I have the same problem have asked on numerous occasions on here but no definite answers,

Julien

zero2
14th August 2013, 09:54
Have you given anything a go Julien? I was hoping to swap it for a wooden one too :(

Mike Noc
14th August 2013, 10:24
Hello all.

Many thanks

Ben

You don't straighten the steering wheel this way on these cars. Get the tracking done and they will straighten the steering wheel at the same time, which is the correct way to do it.

zero2
14th August 2013, 10:30
You don't straighten the steering wheel this way on these cars. Get the tracking done and they will straighten the steering wheel at the same time, which is the correct way to do it.

I'm having the four wheel laser tracking done at the end of the month. But I still want to swap the wheel at some point. :(

Mike Noc
14th August 2013, 10:37
Hello all.

I've just been out to try and straighten my steering wheel.......

Sorry mate you didn't mention anything about swapping the steering wheel.

Am sure there is a how to somewhere if you do a search.

Arctic will have a photo or two. :D

zero2
14th August 2013, 10:57
Sorry mate you didn't mention anything about swapping the steering wheel.

Am sure there is a how to somewhere if you do a search.

Arctic will have a photo or two. :D

That's ok mate. I was only trying to straighten the wheel for now and hopefully swapping the wheel at a later date. But as it stands that's out of the window.

dissy1810
14th August 2013, 11:06
You can't move the steering wheel anyway as it's splined to only go in one position

RugbyRover
14th August 2013, 11:08
Try this http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=184

Adie

BIG LEK
14th August 2013, 11:10
You can't move the steering wheel anyway as it's splined to only go in one positionI agree both the splined shaft and the wheel itself have locating marks on them so they both have to line up

RugbyRover
14th August 2013, 11:12
So if you take one off, the other should go on in the same Position.

Ade

zero2
14th August 2013, 11:14
You can't move the steering wheel anyway as it's splined to only go in one position

Try this http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=184

Adie

This is the how to I tried to follow. But I can't get the bolt out now to move or swap the steering wheel.

Rev Jules
14th August 2013, 11:14
Have you given anything a go Julien? I was hoping to swap it for a wooden one too :(

Yep tried ramming a screwdriver up there as suggested, had changed it over from a nomal wheel to a wooden one.I thought I had it right but it must be several splines out, the last thread on here about how to is all well and good always assuming you can the ****** thing off to start with,

zero2
14th August 2013, 11:25
Yep tried ramming a screwdriver up there as suggested, had changed it over from a nomal wheel to a wooden one.I thought I had it right but it must be several splines out, the last thread on here about how to is all well and good always assuming you can the ****** thing off to start with,

I've tried the screwdriver but It's in a bit of a mess.

Avulon
14th August 2013, 12:24
Hello all.

Many thanks

Ben

Not entirely sure what you mean by 'threaded', do you mean the bolt thread has stripped, or that the head of the bolt is damaged too badly for the torx bit to get a grip? If it's the former then try just pulling the airbag off of it with a bit of a jiggle, but it's probably jammed solid as far as that is concerned, leaving the only option to drill it off which is going to be very awkward, in that case it'll probably help to remove the steering column cowl and move the wheel as far extended as possible: then using a small drill with a long bit carefully drill the head off of the bolt.

If it's the head of the bolt that's mangled then try to find something to fit it firmly, which will probably involve hammers, it may be best to see if the column with wheel can be removed from the car in that case.

To the poster that said the wheel can only fit in one position, the wheel fits on splines and can fit in many positions - (I don't know how many splines) yes there is a line and punch mark to line up, but it's not always easy getting it right as theres only the one set of marks, if taking a wheel off for the first time to put the same back I'd suggest making two more sets of marks approx a third around the wheel in each direction from the original. It's then quite easy to see if you're out by a spline when refitting even if two of the marks appear to line up ok the third will be obviously wrong.

Good luck.

PS. I should add that you could also drill the head off of the bolt in the case that it's too mangled to get anything to fit.

dissy1810
14th August 2013, 12:44
To the poster that said the wheel can only fit in one position, the wheel fits on splines and can fit in many positions - (I don't know how many splines) yes there is a line and punch mark to line up, but it's not always easy getting it right as theres only the one set of marks, if taking a wheel off for the first time to put the same back I'd suggest making two more sets of marks approx a third around the wheel in each direction from the original. It's then quite easy to see if you're out by a spline when refitting even if two of the marks appear to line up ok the third will be obviously wrong.

There is a bit on the splined shaft that has not been cut and the same on the wheel and it can only be lined up in one position if you have managed to force a wheel on in a different position good luck getting it off again in the future

zero2
14th August 2013, 13:05
It looks like I'll be sticking to the all leather wheel because I don't fancy trying to drill the head off.

Arctic
14th August 2013, 21:48
It looks like I'll be sticking to the all leather wheel because I don't fancy trying to drill the head off.

Wait until the nano in September we will get it fitted for you Arctic ;)

zero2
14th August 2013, 22:30
Wait until the nano in September we will get it fitted for you Arctic ;)

Cheers Steve. :)