PDA

View Full Version : Clutch help....another post.... :(

Blackwatch
14th August 2013, 18:07
I went out in the car today and everything was fine and hunky dory until I go home. As I did I pushed the clutch in only for it to stay flat to the floor. :shrug::mad:

I tried to raise the pedal back up again as the car did the exact same thing a few days ago, and lifting the pedal up slowly did the trick and she was driveable again. Alas this time no cigar :mad:

So the next thing I did was hit the forums and found out about checking the master cylinder res. I popped the lid off stuck my finger in and BONE DRY!!!!

So using a combination of starting the car in 1st gear and timing the revs right to change up I went to get some DOT 4 fluid and fill up the res. I have tried to bleed the system...

1. Top up the res ( easy with a roll on deodorant bottle top and small hands :) )
2. Undo the bleed nipple
3. Press down on the pedal
4. Watch some black nasty fluid come out
5. nip up the nipple
6. slowly lift the pedal
7. Rinse and repeat topping up the resevoir until fressh fluid comes out.

Despite trying this for the last few hours and using nearly all the fluid the pedal still stays down.

I think the master is leaking when I press down. However that could be a bit of fluid that missed the res the first time I tried to top it up. Could it be the master cylinder O ring has gone or could it be worse and a very short ownership of an MG :(:eek:

Mike Noc
14th August 2013, 18:38
With the undertray removed have a look under the engine where it mates up against the gearbox. If fluid is leaking there then I'm afraid your slave cylinder has bought the farm. :getmecoat:

Blackwatch
14th August 2013, 18:39
With the undertray removed have a look under the engine where it mates up against the gearbox. If fluid is leaking there then I'm afraid your slave cylinder has bought the farm. :getmecoat:

OH **** @@###''&^$ and other nefarious words.....if it has is it expensive, DIY job or fleabay the car? If not could it be the master Cylinder collapsing as there is not spring on the pedal at all. Strangest thin is the car was driving spot on.

RPWC
14th August 2013, 18:45
They just go like that without warning, I would suspect that Mike is correct and you have slave cyl failure. Its not an easy job, suggest you contact Andy Willi in Doncaster, he's a member here and clutches are his speciality, check out his services http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=138490

FrenchMike
14th August 2013, 18:48
I confirm "without warning."
The weak point of the hydraulic clutch....
How many miles ?