PDA

View Full Version : To mod, or not to mod, that is the question?

just-john
14th August 2013, 21:46
My ’03 131 diesel tourer has never been great on fuel since purchase four years ago, the OBC never shows more than 35mpg. She runs ok in every respect except this and as I have now got the health and ability back, to start bringing her up to scratch, have decided that a MAF change is now needed. I’ve done some extensive reading here on the forum about the options and have decided that it will be simpler to go for a replacement rather than a replacement + tuning box.

I can get a new genuine Bosch replacement of the entire unit from Europarts (part no: 4347504000 for £210.00, or a Pierburg sensor only from the same source (part no; 434770060) for £144.00. I can only assume, at this stage, that the Pierburg is correctly specced for a ’75, Europarts are selling it as a replacement for the car after all!!! My questions are; (1) Is there any reason why the complete assembly might need to be changed rather than just the sensor? (2) Does anyone have any experience of the Pierburg sensor from Europarts, or any other reliable replacement which doesn’t need a tuning box? Your comments will be appreciated.

I should add that my only objection to a Ronbox is from the insurance point of view, it’s complicated enough already without listing modifications.

Andydote
14th August 2013, 21:51
First thing to try - buy a can of electrical contact cleaner spray from halfords. Remove MAF and give it a very good spray, leave a few mins, spray again and leave to dry.

It has worked for me in the past and saves a fortune on a new MAF!

Secondly, I don't think many of us declare a Ron box to insurance. Have it wired up and tuck it away out of sight!

Dragrad
14th August 2013, 22:50
Secondly, I don't think many of us declare a Ron box to insurance. Have it wired up and tuck it away out of sight!

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk.

Well I had to post that ;):D:D :getmecoat:

Jakg
14th August 2013, 23:07
You can pick up a new genuine Bosch unit on eBay from Germany for £120 odd - just make sure if its Bosch its the complete unit as they dont sell the sensor seperate.

James.uk
15th August 2013, 01:56
Get the proper Bosch unit, in my experience if you buy cheap, you end up paying twice... :o

Andydote
15th August 2013, 05:37
Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk.

Well I had to post that ;):D:D :getmecoat:

Agreed! I was just being honest.

marinabrian
16th August 2013, 05:49
First thing to try - buy a can of electrical contact cleaner spray from halfords. Remove MAF and give it a very good spray, leave a few mins, spray again and leave to dry.

First thing an insurance assessor did under the bonnet of a customer of mine, was to look at the MAF and HP rail sensors to see what was wired to them.

I know this as they had a claim reduced on this very basis recently and the remaining 4 months of policy cancelled with no refund.

What makes this worse, they had been rear ended by anther car while stationary, and they had bought the car with the Synergy fitted, and had no idea what it was for.

Needless to say they weren't particularly pleased by this turn of events, and their CDT (i) is now totally standard, and by all accounts much better for it ;)

Brian :D

Astraeus
16th August 2013, 06:34
First thing an insurance assessor did under the bonnet of a customer of mine, was to look at the MAF and HP rail sensors to see what was wired to them.

I know this as they had a claim reduced on this very basis recently and the remaining 4 months of policy cancelled with no refund.

What makes this worse, they had been rear ended by anther car while stationary, and they had bought the car with the Synergy fitted, and had no idea what it was for.

Needless to say they weren't particularly pleased by this turn of events, and their CDT (i) is now totally standard, and by all accounts much better for it ;)

Quite right Brian. Insurance companies do not need to be given reasons to refuse or reduce claims. If you are going to mod declare it. If you don't....it may be a very expensive mistake. My mate has declared his Box on his TD4 and it didn't cost that much more. Find out before doing.

Other opinions are available......:smilie_re:
Chris

marinabrian
16th August 2013, 07:21

First thing an insurance assessor did under the bonnet of a customer of mine was to look at the MAF and HP rail sensors to see what was wired to them.

Greeners
16th August 2013, 07:53
the OBC never shows more than 35mpg.

My ZT auto never managed an average of more then 34mpg. Short trips and auto are a real killer to consumption

just-john
16th August 2013, 10:18
ANDYDOTE:

Thanks for the tip, I will try it first.

JAKG:

I have seen this, do you (or anyone else) have any idea as to how I can tell whether or not it’s a genuine Bosch unit?

JAMES:

Thanks for the good advice; see the above. I do believe that if it looks too good to be true then it usually is, there are, however, some good bargains to be had, especially when turnover is tight.

DRAGRAD, BRIAN, ASTRAEUS:

Thanks for the warning, I believe in being absolutely frank with an insurance company, I seem to be one of those unlucky people who always get caught out, I never get away with anything.

GREENERS:

This could be the case here, I rarely stray more than 30 miles or so away from home and it’s either town or country driving with little trunking. So maybe there isn’t a fault after all. Others seem to achieve much better mileage though?

Anyhow, thanks for your input everybody, I’ll go away and play. Maybe an assessment after disconnection should be the first port of call.

James.uk
16th August 2013, 11:06
My most recent brim to brim test came out at 28 mpg. Nothing wrong with my car, just not been outside of a 30 mph speed limit much lately. which means not been in any gear above 3rd.. :shrug: