PDA

View Full Version : Retro fit cruise to a CDTi

TriumphStag
15th August 2013, 13:40
Hi all, just wondering how difficult it would be to retro fit cruise to a CDTi mk1.

What bits would I need and would the wrong all be there and would a T4 session be needed?

Billy1mate
15th August 2013, 13:43
Try this;
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=154443&highlight=Cdti+cruise

cardaft
15th August 2013, 13:47
I did this to my CDTi about a month ago. You need: Steering wheel cruise control buttons, Cruise control ECU and dash button and an extra holed wooden trim.

Check for the wiring behind the glovebox and behind the wooden switch panel first. With the switch panel removed you should see a wired plug ready to take the cruise control switch. Behind the glovebox you should also see a wire which is for the extra ECU.

Mine took me about 45 minutes to fit, with the longest part being cutting the slot in the steering wheel for the new switches. Be sure to disconnect your battery for about 30 minutes before removing the airbag unit.

Once fitted it will work, you'll have to press the button on the dash and then press resume - at this point the cruise light will appear on the dash and you can use cruise. However, resume itself wont work as it need programming with T4. After that you no longer have to press resume to start the cruise and the light only appears once you are using cruise.

See my thread here for wheel pics:
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1351228&postcount=8

I wouldn't be without it!

marinabrian
15th August 2013, 16:53
Hi all, just wondering how difficult it would be to retro fit cruise to a CDTi mk1.

What bits would I need and would the wrong all be there and would a T4 session be needed?

If the wiring is there, then cruise master switch, cruise ecu, and steering wheel controls.
Than a quick visit to Olney to see Phil-T4 to have the fifth digit of your SA string changed to an "8".
Hey presto, factory fit cruise control ;)
Brian :D

TriumphStag
15th August 2013, 17:01
Cool, thanks everyone. Will need to get in there and see if the wiring exists....

sworks
15th August 2013, 19:13
Best mod I've carried out :D

marinabrian
15th August 2013, 20:32
Best mod I've carried out :D

One of the very few compensations for having one of those unreliable rattly BMW things under the bonnet Mark ;)

sworks
15th August 2013, 21:04
Very true Brian, we did the girly thing and bought on colour choice :D I do have an A series and a K series car to make up for it though :drool4:

sof007
15th August 2013, 22:00
Would love this mod but don't appear to have the wiring.....how hard would it be to fit without the wiring???

marinabrian
16th August 2013, 05:26
Would love this mod but don't appear to have the wiring.....how hard would it be to fit without the wiring???

The easiest way to determine if the wiring is there, is to remove the switch panel over the ashtray, if there is a cluster of plugs wrapped in grey plastizote foam, then you have the wiring.
This cluster will include wiring for traction, heated seats, rear sunblind etc.
I say this as the ECU wiring is quite often taped up into the harness behind the glovebox well out of view.
Happy hunting

sof007
16th August 2013, 09:23
Brian,

I've already had a good look around above the ashtray and the only spare plug I have is the green one for the rear electric blind. :mad:

So.....how hard would it be if the wiring loom isn't there?

Seosamh

trikey
16th August 2013, 09:30
Brian,

I've already had a good look around above the ashtray and the only spare plug I have is the green one for the rear electric blind. :mad:

Seosamh

Or remove steering cowl, see if the white plug has any wires missing, if none missing you have the wiring in place.

sof007
16th August 2013, 11:01
I'll have a look some evening next week. Where abouts is the white plug located?

Auto-TaT
16th August 2013, 19:25
Ooh, glad I found this post, off to look at mine now....

Auto-TaT
16th August 2013, 19:40
Nothing there, bottom boils! I'm guessing that the ever evolving cost cutting had done away with surplus looms by the time my car was built (03 plate).

Rob Bell
19th August 2013, 16:52
Brian,

Seosamh

Ah - now there's a question. I wanted to do this mod years and years ago - even have all the right bits to do it... BUT I don't have the correct loom! Darn and blast MG Rover! Why didn't they just standardise on one wiring loom for all cars??? Argh.

Yes, you can still do it, although to date I haven't. You'll need to fabricate your own wiring loom. I've been searching for a suitable donor car, but I have never been in the right place at the right time to salvage one - or people are asking too much for a chunk of wiring.

If you can get to a scrappy and salvage a cruise loom, that is probably your best bet - and bear in mind you'll need to trace one of the wires all the way to the ECU.

If you can't find a diesel but can find a petrol with cruise, then you can harvest the plugs for the switches and cruise ECU - as curiously they're all the same (albeit with different pins on the cruise ECU plug).

It'd be a bit of a project, but do-able I think.

If you don't fancy it, then Nick at Austin Garages tells me that he's made a cruise loom before - and can certainly do it again. No idea what he'd charge for this though.

This page that I put together to explain the process some while ago may (or may not!) help a bit: http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/ZTT/cruise_control/index.htm

Once you're up and running, it seems you get much of the functionality as plug-and-play - but for full functioning, you'll need a T4 programming session to get the ZCS codes updated for cruise control functionality.

So there you go: clear as mud. :(