PDA

View Full Version : Master Cylinder.....are they the same?

Blackwatch
15th August 2013, 15:27
My clutch has gone to the carpet and when checking the master cylinder for fluid it was empty. I did try to bleed it and the gunk that came through was nasty. I have tried to bleed the system but it is still not working properly. So today I took the master cylinder off ( suprisingly easy for once lol ). I noticed it was a scrap yard jobbie due to the yellow paint markings here and there....so obviously it has been replaced at some point in time.

My question is are the master cylinders the same across the range or do they differ from model to model.

T-Cut
15th August 2013, 16:04
The master cylinders for each engine has a different part number, though I suspect the physical differences are basically cosmetic (shape of pipe, etc). This is supported by the fact that the latest aftermarket development is an alloy master said to fit all models.

eBay:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-MG-ZT-master-clutch-cylinder-All-models-aluminum-not-plastic-/171103324113?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d68d87d1

I believe the developer is now a member on the forum and there are threads on the topic.

TC

steve811
15th August 2013, 18:40
I put a master from a V6 in mine, you have to change the pipe though, which can be done lying in the footwell! You need to catch the fluid in lots of rags or newspapers though.

Blackwatch
15th August 2013, 18:45
I've already got the master cylinder and the pipe out of the car. Just got to drive to get the new one now....thats going to be fun lol.

T-Cut
15th August 2013, 19:36
There's a How To video in the link i gave you.

TC