PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Thermostat

Auto-TaT
15th August 2013, 20:56
I need to replace the thermostat on my diesel, I have found two from the same supplier on ebay, one for £30 and one for £40. I am guessing that the cheaper is a pattern part. Has anyone had any experiences of pattern parts? I know that genuine should be better but as the genuine version has a reputation for failing...

Just thought I'd ask the question.

spyder
15th August 2013, 22:39
I got mine from Sean, good quality and works well at 88/90 deg. I think Jules sells them with the o-ring which is very important. They are a bit of a job to change 2-4 hrs, Jules has a how to on here. Rather get a good one, you do not want it to fail or change it twice.

Craig

If you need any help changing it give me a shout, I see you are nearby.

kdowson
16th August 2013, 07:27
Have fitted Renault 5 one in top hose, its cheap, easy to do and more importantly works really well.
Its worth considering.

hbcmike
16th August 2013, 08:31
Have fitted Renault 5 one in top hose, its cheap, easy to do and more importantly works really well.
Its worth considering.

I did this too - though I think it might have been an astra one from Halfords for about £4 with trade card. Can use a triangular file to remove the upper hose retaining band and some lock wire / jubilee clip to refit. No temp problems during recent hot running and prob less than 1 hr to do. Runs at 84-86C according to OBD and opens at 88, dropping the temp by 5-6 degrees within seconds.

T-Cut
16th August 2013, 10:30
I have found two from the same supplier on ebay, one for £30 and one for £40. I am guessing that the cheaper is a pattern part.

Could you post a link to these stats? I'm surprised a pattern match alternative is available. The Freelander stat is cheaper though.

TC

spyder
16th August 2013, 10:49
I also fitted the reno stat with fair to good results, however the o-ring on the OEM stat leaking so I had no choice. I have removed the reno after running with both working and saw temp of 103 last week in extreme conditions, but it comes down to 88 slowly and stays in the 88-91 range. For the price and the amount of effort I would still stick to the OEM one every time.

Craig

Auto-TaT
16th August 2013, 19:18
Thanks for the replies. Assuming I'm not breaching any forum rules, here are the two links:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140936998039?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130842152141?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I am aware of the R5 mod but am going to replace the original. It's just deciding which one to get. Genuine I suppose would be nice but my Scimitar is also demanding some of my hard earned with, funnily enough, a thermostat! Oh, and an overdrive solenoid.

T-Cut
16th August 2013, 20:24
In my opinion, both these eBay stats are genuine MGR ones. I have one (MGR) in my hand right now and the cheaper one is identical, down to the small moulding pips.

Having said that, the inline version is as popular and there's no history to tell how long new MGR stats (of this later design) will last. Many diesel stats slowly deteriorate so they open earlier and earlier. This eventually leads to very low running temperatures.

TC

Auto-TaT
16th August 2013, 20:46
Thanks for that, cheaper stat now purchased.