PDA

View Full Version : Auto gearbox solenoid

blman
16th August 2013, 16:34
Hi, having problems with autobox on a v6, have diagnosed as 2-3 faulty solenoids, been advised to replace all 9' quoted £450 plus vat plus fitting, any other options?

mh007
16th August 2013, 16:44
You shouldn't have to replace all 9 !
I would be surprised if you have more than one gone wrong to be honest.
What are your issues ?
How were they tested ? (with a multimeter - resistance test or scantool - fault codes)
The most common failure I come across is the 2/4 Brake Duty solenoid which causes harsh/aggressive gear changes.
Perhaps posting more details with your problem may help.

blman
16th August 2013, 16:51
This is the report, symptoms are gears banging between shifts

SD1too
16th August 2013, 17:25
... been advised to replace all 9' ...
That's ridiculous. Your garage is taking the common 'scatter gun' approach: they don't know exactly what the fault is, so they're replacing everything at the customer's expense.
... quoted £450 plus vat plus fitting, any other options?
Yes. Find someone who can use a multimeter to identify the faulty solenoid, and who has experience of the JATCo gearbox. Buy a replacement from a transmission supplies company not MG Rover.

Simon

mh007
16th August 2013, 19:53
This is the report, symptoms are gears banging between shifts

Banging between gears or harsh/aggressive gears changes is usualy down to the 2/4 Brake Duty solenoid as I said earlier.

You should however, get it properly checked out & not by the garage you've already been to !

Incidently, all solenoids can be accessed & changed without gearbox removal.

Looking at the 'report' I notice they haven't put the actual resistance's found.