PDA

View Full Version : non starting

Number 6
16th August 2013, 18:02
Cant do a search,keeps saying "Sever Error" so here goes

So the problem is My CDT has run perfectly for the last 6 years,However today driving fine stopped and started several times but now it refuses to start!!
All pumps working fine,fuel coming out of the pipe.So could it be the camshaft sensor?If not what else should I be looking at?

Any suggestions please

Number 6

John

bl52krz
16th August 2013, 18:11
Two things to try.(1) take the electrical plug off the top of the ubp and put a smear of Vaseline on the tags on top of the pump, and put the plug back on and pull it off again 2/3 times. (2) could be your camshaft sensor. Had the first one happen to me, so i know it works. Have not had any probs for 3 years since.

Number 6
16th August 2013, 19:25
Two things to try.(1) take the electrical plug off the top of the ubp and put a smear of Vaseline on the tags on top of the pump, and put the plug back on and pull it off again 2/3 times. (2) could be your camshaft sensor. Had the first one happen to me, so i know it works. Have not had any probs for 3 years since.

Hi that was the first thing I tried both, pumps are working.So next step is the Cam sensor:shrug:It wont start with easy start either

chrissyboy
16th August 2013, 20:10
the pumps might be working but what is the fuel pressure.if the pressure is low it just wont start

Number 6
16th August 2013, 21:09
the pumps might be working but what is the fuel pressure.if the pressure is low it just wont start

Hi Chrissy,The car was running perfectly i had been stopping and starting all day with out a problem called in to a shop came out and it wont start.Disconnected the fuel pipe turned it on and fuel peed out:shrug:

As I said it wont start with easy start :shrug:

Thomas
16th August 2013, 21:11
Moved to technical help forum

Number 6
16th August 2013, 21:28
Moved to technical help forum

Thanks Thomas

Thomas
16th August 2013, 21:29
Your welcome :}

FrenchMike
17th August 2013, 06:58
Hi that was the first thing I tried both, pumps are working.So next step is the Cam sensor:shrug:It wont start with easy start either

Hi,
Have a look here: hoping it helps :)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=109615

Good luck

Mike

Number 6
17th August 2013, 07:12
Hi,
Have a look here: hoping it helps :)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=109615

Good luck

Mike

Thanks for that Mike,will go and fabricate some croccadile clips to suite:bowdown:

FrenchMike
17th August 2013, 09:41
Thanks for that Mike,will go and fabricate some croccadile clips to suite:bowdown:

OK,please , report back with the outcome...:}

spyder
17th August 2013, 10:34
Try the plug on the end of the fuel rail, the clip can be very fragile and it can come adrift. I have cable tied mine.

Craig

Number 6
17th August 2013, 10:43

Just an update,Went to it first thing this morning,It still would not start,bearing in mind it would not start at all yesterday I sprayed Easy start in to it and it started straight away,left it running turned it off restarted ok,But it does turn over for slightly longer before starting than it did before.Could this indicate a leak back situation??? Any one

Mike Noc
17th August 2013, 16:44
Yep. Worth doing a leakback test.

Number 6
17th August 2013, 18:09

Hello Mike,

Done a test and with the ignition on the reading is 12.03,Is this with in spec or not do you think?

The funny thing is now it starts and drives fine went for a drive left it 10 mins and then it started OK

FrenchMike
17th August 2013, 19:31
Hello Mike,

Done a test and with the ignition on the reading is 12.03,Is this with in spec or not do you think?

The funny thing is now it starts and drives fine went for a drive left it 10 mins and then it started OK

Well John,

As the engine runs (from time to time),do the measurement and you'll get
about 9 volts.

If you get this value while CRANKING ATTEMPT ,then the sensor is good !

http://rovermg1.free.fr/rovermg/thumbnails/PPSuXYGhGMqfb5KBwmxA.jpg (http://rovermg1.free.fr/rovermg/images/PPSuXYGhGMqfb5KBwmxA.jpg)

Mike

Number 6
18th August 2013, 09:56
Well John,

As the engine runs (from time to time),do the measurement and you'll get
about 9 volts.

If you get this value while CRANKING ATTEMPT ,then the sensor is good !

http://rovermg1.free.fr/rovermg/thumbnails/PPSuXYGhGMqfb5KBwmxA.jpg (http://rovermg1.free.fr/rovermg/images/PPSuXYGhGMqfb5KBwmxA.jpg)

Mike

Mike,Done the same test as before but this time I cranked the engine and the few seconds before it started the volt meter showed 9 volts.So I assume that this is OK?

The only things I have done is 1 remove and clean the Cam Sensor and 2 changed the fuel filter.The car now appears to be as it was before,before I had the problem:shrug:
So will now see how it goes.

Thanks to all for the info and help.

FrenchMike
18th August 2013, 11:46
Mike,Done the same test as before but this time I cranked the engine and the few seconds before it started the volt meter showed 9 volts.So I assume that this is OK?

The only things I have done is 1 remove and clean the Cam Sensor and 2 changed the fuel filter.The car now appears to be as it was before,before I had the problem:shrug:
So will now see how it goes.

Thanks to all for the info and help.

Forget the fuel filter effect ;but If i remember well,somebody has already had the same thing after cleaning the
Camsensor.:shrug:

Anyways ,if it happens again,you know how to test it....

Mike

spyder
18th August 2013, 13:42
Info like this is always helpful, thanks for the reminder Mike.

Was there not a case/emergency fix on here a while ago by putting a washer under the cam sensor to get mobile. Or something to that effect anyway ?

FrenchMike
18th August 2013, 14:49
Info like this is always helpful, thanks for the reminder Mike.

Was there not a case/emergency fix on here a while ago by putting a washer under the cam sensor to get mobile. Or something to that effect anyway ?

Effectively Craig,

But only two people confirm it .
i now wonder if it was'nt simply a cleaning prob.:shrug:

JJ75
25th April 2014, 11:16
Whilst on idle,my readings from the yellow wire fluctuate from around 9v to around 14v,should the reading be constant? also my yellow wire is in the middle of three,not on the left(as in pic),does it matter?
Also fluctuates when the ignition is on and car not running:shrug:

Cheers
Jay

Number 6
25th April 2014, 17:21
Contact Frenchmike he will be able to tell you:}

FrenchMike
1st May 2014, 18:00
Whilst on idle,my readings from the yellow wire fluctuate from around 9v to around 14v,should the reading be constant? also my yellow wire is in the middle of three,not on the left(as in pic),does it matter?
Also fluctuates when the ignition is on and car not running:shrug:

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay,

Ideally a oscilloscope would be usefull as the signal looks like this:

But as said in my how to ,you may detect an "average " 9 volts voltage.

When cranking,the battery voltage is rather 10 volts than 14 :shrug:

to me the earth is the Brown one and the signal yellow the middle one.

It is possible to take the measurement engine started ;
In that i guess, you'll get around 10/11 volts .

Generally the fault appears while hot.

Could be a injector issue ?

Good luck

Mike

JJ75
1st May 2014, 18:40
Thanks Mike,can't understand why the voltage is fluctuating even without the engine running? Faulty sensor?
Injectors seem fine- http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=182076

FrenchMike
1st May 2014, 19:02
Thanks Mike,can't understand why the voltage is fluctuating even without the engine running? Faulty sensor?
Injectors seem fine- http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=182076

Check your connexions :shrug:
is the supply voltage (red/white) stable ?

JJ75
1st May 2014, 19:08
Will test tomorrow. Thanks for the advice,i really appreciate it.

JJ75
2nd May 2014, 20:23
Readings on cam sensor are fine today,cant have had the earth probed properly?:shrug:
Definitely looking at injectors now..........