PDA

View Full Version : Water Leak

DAS68
16th August 2013, 20:03
As I lay under my car day in day out working on dropping the gearbox for the slave cylinder change I notice more and more issues that need addressing. on the drivers side as I look up from underneath and also visible from the front wheel arch there is rusty water all down the side of the engine, crank pulley, alternator, water has been dripping on me while I am under there as I have toped it up recently. When I look straight up on the off side I can see what I am guessing is the water pump which is covered in the said brown water. is that where the water pump is? and can I do any tests to check if its the pump that is faulty or just a leaking pipe?

SD1too
17th August 2013, 08:09
.. I can see what I am guessing is the water pump ... is that where the water pump is?
Dave,

The answer to your question is on page 3●7 of your Haynes manual. Please don't tell me that you're dropping your gearbox without one.

Simon

DAS68
17th August 2013, 09:05
Thanks- I do have a Haynes but to be honest the help I have recived from forum members either over the phone, how too's or private messages has been more useful.

DAS68
17th August 2013, 18:08
The Haynes is only useful if I know what the component is I am looking at! So can anyone tell me what I am looking at? from under the bonnet on the left hand side just above a pully, is this the water pump or thromostat or somerthing else?

thanks

SD1too
17th August 2013, 18:23
... on the left hand side just above a pully, is this the water pump or thromostat or somerthing else?
I don't have any practical experience of the diesel engine but from the photograph in the MGR manual my guess is that you're looking at the thermostat housing. This is mounted on top of the water pump (which of course has a pulley).

Does that help?

Simon

DAS68
18th August 2013, 10:58
Thanks Simon- very helpful indeed, I have add that to my list of growing jobs.

regards

Dave