PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Judder

First_damned
16th August 2013, 21:12
I have just got myself a Rover 75 Cdt bmw engine, it's a 2002 club model with 79k miles on the clock.

I have noticed that on hill starts when pulling off in first gear if you don't carefully bring the clutch up or rev too much I get a kind of judder, is this the clutch slipping?

The biting point is low, changes gear fine and when put the hand brake on and try to pull away all seems solid.

Is this normal for these cars? Is it just me getting used to the clutch?

Thanks

Canonite
16th August 2013, 21:17
Clutch judder can be more noticable if you're new to the car.
Maybe the lower engine mount needs sorting.

First_damned
16th August 2013, 21:26
Is the mount easy to replace?

Mike Noc
16th August 2013, 22:10
Yep. Undertray off then two bolts and its out. :D

nomzamo999
16th August 2013, 22:17
Clutch judder is a known factor with this engine.
I have a CDTi and have noticed a little judder since the clutch was changed.
LUK make a clutch damper that fits into the hydraulic system between the master & slave cylinders.
Not sure what it does exactly, bt it's supposed to significantly reduce the judder.
I haven't fitted one on my car, as the judder is only slight and really doesn't bother me.
They're available on eBay for £10-£50 and i expect Rimmer bros have them too.
Martin

dissy1810
16th August 2013, 22:27
Clutch judder is a known factor with this engine.
I have a CDTi and have noticed a little judder since the clutch was changed.
LUK make a clutch damper that fits into the hydraulic system between the master & slave cylinders.
Not sure what it does exactly, bt it's supposed to significantly reduce the judder.
I haven't fitted one on my car, as the judder is only slight and really doesn't bother me.
They're available on eBay for £10-£50 and i expect Rimmer bros have them too.
Martin

Don't try to fit the damper it doesn't work all it did when I fitted it was lower the biting point making the gears difficult to engage, it did nothing for the judder, judder can be a sign of wear on the dmf

nomzamo999
16th August 2013, 22:31
Don't try to fit the damper it doesn't work all it did when I fitted it was lower the biting point making the gears difficult to engage, it did nothing for the judder, judder can be a sign of wear on the dmf

God I hope it's not DMF wear; mine's brand new!
Whatever the cause is, I don't think I'll be fitting one.

First_damned
16th August 2013, 22:39
It's kind of nice to know it's a known issue then, but a shame at the same time but still love the car. Thank you for all the replies

andy willi
17th August 2013, 06:04
wont be the dmf there good for 150000 thousand miles

andy

First_damned
17th August 2013, 06:35
wont be the dmf there good for 150000 thousand miles

andy

Good news then.

Lasts longer than the one in my mondeo did then

First_damned
28th August 2013, 07:17
I'm still sometimes getting like clutch slip when starting off in first gear only. Is this the known issue?