PDA

View Full Version : Sudden clutch pedal vibration and rattle noise?

Andydote
17th August 2013, 10:49
Morning all.

Just been to the shops and as I was waiting at a junction, clutch down, there was a sudden rattle/knocking sound and heavy vibration in the pedal.

I still was able to pull off normally and the noise stopped. A few mins later it happened again.

Any ideas?

Mike Noc
17th August 2013, 12:04
Hate to say it Andy but thrust release bearing? It is built into the slave cylinder. :getmecoat:

Andydote
17th August 2013, 12:21
:(:(:(:(:(

andy willi
17th August 2013, 15:05
dmf on its way out dose it rattle on tickover with clutch up

andy

VMax1000
17th August 2013, 15:16
Doesn't the release bearing noise normally disappear when you press the pedal as the bearing at that point presses firmly against the diaphram springs?

Release bearing normally rattles in neutral with foot off the clutch.

Wouldn't rule it out but it might be some diaphram spring fingers are damaged

Andydote
17th August 2013, 21:29
I'll explain exactly what happened:

All was fine, until I was waiting at a junction with my foot down on the clutch and first gear selected. Suddenly, in this exact position, there was a loud vibrating/rattle noise and I could feel it in the clutch peddle. I lifted the peddle and pulled off as normal. The rattle stopped once the clutch was lifted.

Then about 5 minutes later, same position of 1st gear selected and clutch down, it happened again. Once clutch was lifted it stopped.

The rest of the journey home (3 miles) the clutch engaged fine, but the car did seem to lag a little, although the clutch bite was normal..

VMax1000
17th August 2013, 22:57
Makes me wonder if the pressure plate (diaphram) lost some spring fingers...