PDA

View Full Version : MAF cleaner.

muey
17th August 2013, 14:44
Hi all,
My cdt lost power coming home from work yesterday. Had a quick search on here and the Maf sensor soon became the chief suspect . I unplugged it and "bingo" ! All was fine again.
Whilst doing the search, cleaning the Maf could be on option rather than buying a new one, provided I use the correct cleaner. I couldn't find what the "correct " cleaner is. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what cleaner I should try ? Hope someone can Help.:shrug:

Regards Mark

VMax1000
17th August 2013, 14:52
Hi all,
My cdt lost power coming home from work yesterday. Had a quick search on here and the Maf sensor soon became the chief suspect . I unplugged it and "bingo" ! All was fine again.
Whilst doing the search, cleaning the Maf could be on option rather than buying a new one, provided I use the correct cleaner. I couldn't find what the "correct " cleaner is. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what cleaner I should try ? Hope someone can Help.:shrug:

Regards Mark

Either something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRC-AIR-SENSOR-CLEAN-MASS-AIR-FLOW-METER-CLEANER-MAF-200ml-/121127190586#vi-content

or a good contact cleaner http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 5717_langId_-1_categoryId_255223

Just stay away from carb cleaner as it will leave a residu and rather than cleaning the MAF you'll make it worse

muey
17th August 2013, 15:16
Thanks Vmax. A trip to Halfords tomorrow for me then. Thanks for the swift reply. Watch this space and will post up the results of cleaning the Maf . Polly (my car) is running fine with the maf unplugged but will give cleaning it a go.

Regards Mark.

spyder
17th August 2013, 16:20
IPA 170 from Maplins worked for me, standard electrical cleaner did not.:shrug:

RPWC
17th August 2013, 16:58
IPA 170 from Maplins worked for me, standard electrical cleaner did not.:shrug:
you beat me to it, I was just going to suggest that, a litre tin from Maplins will cost you about a fiver. IPA = Isopranol Alcohol.

VMax1000
17th August 2013, 17:02
Weird, as the cleaner from Halfords contains the same amount of Isopranol Alcohol as IPA 170 :shrug:

spyder
17th August 2013, 17:10
The one I used was a cheap contact cleaner, if it contains Isopranol Alcohol in the same amounts it must work.

Just to add these will only work on a dirty MAF as apposed to a damaged one.

muey
17th August 2013, 17:14
Thanks Spyder & RPWC. We use ipa at work in an ultrasonic tank. If Halfords spray doesn't work, will try the ultrasonic tank. Worst case scenario is a new Maf so willing to try all suggestions.

Regards Mark

muey
18th August 2013, 16:30
Hi VMax, spder, rpwc.
I havn't had chance to do anything today. On Our hols to Turkey in 2 weeks and weather here this morning ruled out a visit to Halfords because I don't have a garage ! Spent today sorting suitcases out etc and calculating funds, My wife ,Joanna , at short notice was in Australia for 2 weeks for her sister's graduation as a Doctor of summat or other. She was in Brisbane and did all the whale watching trips and basically fitted a month into a fortnight........ then missed her flight home ! As a a result and £875 ish later, funds are also tight. When she got home, she got a 3 minute telling off swiftly followed by a big hug !
Reading advice on here, Polly will be fine for a couple of weeks with an unplugged Maf. Our hol is all inc so will have some spare pennies when we come home.
Once again, Thanks for your help and advice and I will post up results of the cleaning attempts and/or replacement results.

Regards Mark

jonathan63
18th August 2013, 16:52
Your car will be fine for more than a few weeks. I have run mine with the MAF unplugged for about 10k miles now. It runs fine and pulls well. Average mpg = 47.

muey
18th August 2013, 17:34
Thanks Jonathon,
I am a regular visitor to the forums. I dislike when people post a problem and get the advice which may or may not sort the problem, and disappear. Did they sort the problem ? Who knows ?
I am not a regular poster as such, and have been here for a while reading and learning loads. This maf problem will go down the list, but when I find out if cleaning my maf works or doesn't work, I will post it up.
Not being a regular poster didn't stop people coming forward with advice for which I am always gratefull. Knowledge is , and always will be free. Its what you do with knowledge that is dangerous ! (one of my Dads bits of advice, now I am older , I understand he was right ! )

Regards Mark

RPWC
18th August 2013, 17:42
No problem mate, if the MAF is shot, don't be tempted by cheap alternatives, get the genuine Bosch maf, if you need to replace it.

Rob Bell
19th August 2013, 16:18
Spotted a cheap MAF on fleabay - about 26 quid as I recall. For that money you would be tempted! So what happens with them? Work and fail quickly, or never work properly in the first place?

I've got a Pierburg at the moment with a MAFAM - but I am now very tempted to convert back to standard with a Bosch...

MrDoodles
19th August 2013, 19:39
Spotted a cheap MAF on fleabay - about 26 quid as I recall. For that money you would be tempted! So what happens with them? Work and fail quickly, or never work properly in the first place?

I've got a Pierburg at the moment with a MAFAM - but I am now very tempted to convert back to standard with a Bosch...

You may as well get £26, take it outside and set fire to it! :(

muey
22nd October 2013, 09:25
Hi all,
Finally got round to cleaning the MAF at work with a negative result. Looks like its died :( ! Polly is still running fine with the MAF unplugged so looks like a new one some time soon.
Sorry for the delay in posting up results but my mum hasn't been too well lately so sorta been busy.

Many thanks for the replies,
Regards Mark

Dashiel
22nd October 2013, 15:27
You need to let the alcohol dry for a few hours before trying btw if you spray the cleaner over it.

muey
22nd October 2013, 22:42
Hi Dashiel,
The sensor had been left overnight after a spell in the ultrasonic tank at work. If an ultrasonic tank with isopropranol in it hasn't cleaned it, I think I can safely assume I need a replacement :D. Thanks for the reply,

Regards Mark