PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Civil Parking Enforcement

davediamond
9th February 2008, 19:51
A bit of interesting reading
----------------------------------------------
What are the main changes?

Parking Attendants become Civil Enforcement Officers. On street they will look little different as most are unlikely to have new uniforms.

There will be two levels of penalty – a 'lesser offence' for example, overstaying briefly at a parking meter, or a 'serious offence' for example, parking on a double yellow line. The penalty amounts charged will be different.

A penalty notice can be served by post if the enforcement officer has started, but not finished, issuing it.

Penalties can be issued for parking alongside 'dropped kerbs' or for 'double' parking – being half a metre out from the kerb.

The 50% discount period should be extended to 28 days if an informal representation is unsuccessful.

Parking adjudicators given power to 'send cases back' to local authorities.

Wheel clamping is to be reserved largely for persistent offenders. If it is used in other circumstances, clamping cannot take place for 30 minutes after the penalty is incurred.

Local authorities should produce annual transparent reports on their parking activities.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I particularly like this one:

Penalties can be issued for parking alongside 'dropped kerbs'

PARK ACROSS MY DRIVEWAY NOW WILL YOU........ MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Although the postal penalties could be abused by over zealous Enforcement Officers...

Dave

ragitty
9th February 2008, 20:16
It has always been an offence to park alongside a dropped kerb, the driver can be charged with obstruction by the police. also different area may come under different authorities, so may be your local coucil have power to act.

Chris Russell
9th February 2008, 20:25
on the dropped kerb issue i didn't know it was an offence what if i parked in the drive and my wife parked at the dropped kerb could she be done for it if she can i'm going to call the police on her

ragitty
9th February 2008, 20:32
on the dropped kerb issue i didn't know it was an offence what if i parked in the drive and my wife parked at the dropped kerb could she be done for it if she can i'm going to call the police on her

Basically if you have a dropped kerb which allows entry to and from your property, and someone blocks your entry/exit and refuse to move they can be charged with obstruction, having said that if you parked alongside a dropped kerb and no-one complained you should be ok.

Dragrad
9th February 2008, 20:34

I know a good divorce lawyer!! ;)

Chris Russell
9th February 2008, 20:35
i'm going to complain about her she's getting in my wick today "make my tea woman or i'm calling the rozzers"

ragitty
9th February 2008, 20:37
Chris you and your wife could have a question and answer thread which I am sure would keep us all amused.:getmecoat:

Villa Villan
9th February 2008, 20:37
A parking attendant in Brighton stepped into the road yesterday forcing me to swerve a couple of times, I eventually got him:D.

Cheers
Tony

ragitty
9th February 2008, 20:46
A parking attendant in Brighton stepped into the road yesterday forcing me to swerve a couple of times, I eventually got him:D.

Cheers
Tony

Quality :laughing2::laughing2::laughing2:

AndyJ
9th February 2008, 21:04
Basically if you have a dropped kerb which allows entry to and from your property, and someone blocks your entry/exit and refuse to move they can be charged with obstruction, having said that if you parked alongside a dropped kerb and no-one complained you should be ok.

My very limited understanding was/is that it is only an offence to block a driveway (i.e. dropped kerb) if there is a vehicle on it. If the driveway is empty, nothing is being blocked. Well thats what I heard years ago, though it's not something I've tried!!!

Dragrad
9th February 2008, 21:14
My very limited understanding was/is that it is only an offence to block a driveway (i.e. dropped kerb) if there is a vehicle on it. If the driveway is empty, nothing is being blocked. Well thats what I heard years ago, though it's not something I've tried!!!

I don't think that is quite right, the owner may come home....... The offence is black and white. Same as blocking a road junction whilst in a queue of traffic. Something I never do. Left a gap one time and the car behind shot round me and blocked the side junction, just as another car wanted to turn. All traffic was held up until everybody inched closer to each other to allow free movement. Some people are most inconsiderate!! :mad:

Petrow
9th February 2008, 21:26

It has always been an offence to block a dropped kerb driveway, whether or not there is a vehicle in it, and even if it is your own driveway.

AndyJ
9th February 2008, 22:57
Glad I haven't tried it then

davediamond
9th February 2008, 23:12
It may 'Already of Been an Offense' to block a dropped kerb but I think the point I was trying to make was that it will probably be MUCH easier to get the council to issue tickets/clamp than it is at the moment using PC Rozzer. :flog:

The best they do is hang around the offending vehicle until word of mouth reaches the owner and they return and move it. although they have been known to telephone the owner and ask politely if they would mind awfully moving their car. lol

So to all the retards who inconsiderately block my drive (I mean, come on, there is a SIGN...lol) BRING IT ON !!!!!!

With the Council now in charge of filling their own Coffers perhaps they will deal with offenders a little more harshly. :box:

(I'm not bitter) (Oh! actually I am) :getmecoat:

Dave

kevin
10th February 2008, 11:19
I know a good divorce lawyer!! ;)

YES PLEASE

nisfo
10th February 2008, 11:35
I see they have to wait 30 minutes before clamping, does this law apply to private clamping firms?? Does it apply to towing away?

I don't have a problem with neighbours parking across my dropped kerb, but our street (cul-de-sac) is very narrow, and it's a pain in the rear when someone parks opposite, and are a good 12 inches from the kerb. Forcing me to drop my 75 awkwardly off the raised kerb. Not doing my alloys any favours......I have have naughty thoughts of stuffing my tow-bar through the passenger door....lol

Pete
10th February 2008, 11:38
Occasionally people park across my parents driveway to put letters in the post box nearby. Even though it is only a brief stop they simply don't realise their selfish behaviour. Well, they do if it happens while I'm there. :mad:

nick nick
10th February 2008, 14:47
At the moment local authorities are going through change regarding
parking regulations there will be 10 offences which will vary in penalty (fines)
All officers will ware the same uniform and use the same equipment
this is happening in the north east and since its come from
a government directive i assume the whole country will be doing
the same .
In addition to enforcing parking regulations others area that will
be covered by the enforcement officers will be littering/ fly posting/
dog fouling and maybe the moving on of vagrants and skate boarders etc
The latest date for implementation is October this year (08)
regards
NICK NICK
:driving:

nick nick
11th February 2008, 12:16
on the dropped kerb issue i didn't know it was an offence what if i parked in the drive and my wife parked at the dropped kerb could she be done for it if she can I'm going to call the police on her

I think what you will find is if you live in the suburbs and off the main
drag you would have to report any obstruction but in the city/town
centers it will be part of an officers beat so unless you are going
to report your wife you wont have anything to worry about
regards
NICK NICK

JohnDotCom
11th February 2008, 16:06
The Idea of not parking across Dropped Kerbs is because they were intended in most Towns etc now as a Disabled feature to allow wheelchairs etc to cross.
A lot of new ones were introduced after the Disabled Access Act came in last Summer.

If someone gets a Ticket for being parked to far away from the Kerb,
let me know as the Original Act of not Parking within 36" of the Pavement edge has never been repealed and is still on the Books.
This goes back to times when rubbish was thrown from upper levels into edge of road if I remember reading it correctly.

If the Ticket comes from a Policeman though he would alter offence to obstruction! :D

Raistlin
11th February 2008, 16:13
let me know as the Original Act of not Parking within 36" of the Pavement edge has never been repealed and is still on the Books.

One of many oddities still in Statute.

nick nick
11th February 2008, 18:07
This goes back to times when rubbish was thrown from upper levels into edge of road if I remember reading it correctly.

Since most bye laws are made by local authorities would they not just
create another to bypass the original act
regards
NICK NICK
:driving: