PDA

View Full Version : Busy couple of days

Tatts
10th February 2008, 13:52
Inbetween shopping and the usual houshold 'stuff' that always needs doing, I got to play with my new toys; inparticularly the Megs Detailing Machine and the Snow Foam attachment for the Karcher.

Unfortunately I neglected to take any photos of the process. Just the results.

Saturday:

Gave the car a blast with the pressure washer to get rid of the worst of the muck.

Mixed a solution for the snow foam attachment of 1cm snow foam solution, 1cm of Auto Glym car wash, filled the container with water. Problem, the snow foam attachment is made for the Karcher brand, but I could not get it to fit properly. Something is too bog/small - whatever the case is. Managed to get it working though, and covered the car with a thick layer of suds. Looked like shaving foam! Kids in the street were fascinated by it!

Left it to dwell for 5 mins while I had a coffee & smoke.

Went over the car with a lambswool mit, rinsing regularly in clear water.

Once the car was washed, rinsed off & dried with a Sonus drying towel.

The car doesn't need claying, and is pretty much swirl free.

Onto the Megs Detailing Machine.

I used a plain white pad as I didn't want any 'cutting' to take place, and used Sonus SFX-2 Enhance Polish. The machine is nice to use, balanced and not too much vibration, even at higher speed. I started on a slow speed & worked my way up as my confidence grew.

Once the polish was worked, left to cure for a while, buffed it off. I was pleased with the results so far.

Then worked on the inside of the car, glass cleaned with AG Glass Cleaner (blue stuff), all surfaces polished & carpets thoroughly vacuumed.

Sunday.

Gave the car a quick rinse down & dry to remove overnight dust & other crud.

Decided to use the Megs machine again to apply Poor Boys Blue wax. So on with another white pad. Car duly covered in a nice thin, even layer of wax. What I like about using the Megs to apply the wax if I can really work it - so much better (and easier) than by hand.

Left it to cure for an hour. During that time I cleaned all exterior glass using AG Glass Cleaner, tyres dressed.

Removed the wax using terry-towel cloths, and then a final buff with micro-fible cloths, and spent 20 mins trying to get the polish & wax residue that collects in all the little nooks & crannies!

Next week, I'm going to hit the door, bonnet & boot jams. The car looks fantastic, until you open them, and see the grot!

Anyway, results below of my efforts. BRG looks fantastic, and cars always look better in photographs than real life, but on this case, real life is almost as good as the photos!

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/9747af0f4bcb9be.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/9747af0f4c81669.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/9747af0f4d36377.jpg

carlpenn
10th February 2008, 14:04
Lovely Job Tatts - I just love a Shiny 75..........:D

Got mine looking all shiny, so much so, that you have to squint to look at it !! :p:

Going to be doing the Door and Boot jams later myself, SWMBO is already moaning at the amount of attention I have poured over the 75 this weekend :p:

Tatts
10th February 2008, 14:11
Heh, tell me about it Carl!

Women just don't understand!

SWMBO is wondering why I asked where the wallpaper stripper is. Little does she know it's for me to use on the jams etc. Steam seems to cut through the grime nicely!

If my drive wasn't on such an angle, I'd have the wheels off too, and sort the wheel arches out.

Raistlin
10th February 2008, 14:17
Dazzling :D

I'm seriously contemplating one of those snow foam adaptors for my pressure washer.

GreyGhost
10th February 2008, 14:17
Bit of a stunner you have there Tatts, just done mine all by hand and no fancy tricks. It really does need a machine polish now as try as I might the swirl marks just won't disappear. :(
Pity you live up North or I'd be harrasing you for a go. :) (Pity for me not you. :laughing2: )

Tatts
10th February 2008, 14:28
Dazzling :D

I'm seriously contemplating one of those snow foam adaptors for my pressure washer.

Go for it! £44 for it, you'll need some solution too, but it's really enjoyable and fun to use. Unless it's me being childish & immature. Probably. :)

Raistlin
10th February 2008, 14:32
Tatts,

I was hoping the solution would work in a genuine Karcher foam lance.

Our local motor factors has the Karcher foam lance on offer at £9.99.

Enjoyable and fun to use is something I can cope with but I believe the stuff actually does a top quality job as well :)

Tatts
10th February 2008, 14:44
Tatts,

I was hoping the solution would work in a genuine Karcher foam lance.

Our local motor factors has the Karcher foam lance on offer at £9.99.

Enjoyable and fun to use is something I can cope with but I believe the stuff actually does a top quality job as well :)

I know the one you mean, I've seen them in Halfords. Whether they compare to the one I have (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-amp-drying/foam-lance-karcher-fitting/prod_371.html) I don't know. As I recall, they have a very small container for the solution, so I'm guessing it doesn't lay down a layer quite as thick. But it's quite a bit cheaper!

It certainly helped lift the road film, and the wheels clean up easier. I hope it makes the removal of dead insects easier come the summer too.

Raistlin
10th February 2008, 14:49
Well - I suppose for less than a tenner, it's worth a punt.

I can always get the better one if not satisfied :)

Thanks for your help Tatts :)

Tatts
10th February 2008, 14:53
Well - I suppose for less than a tenner, it's worth a punt.

I can always get the better one if not satisfied :)

Thanks for your help Tatts :)

This is the one (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_21 7894_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varien t__categoryId_31457_crumb_33958-33974_parentcategoryrn_31457) I've seen in Halfords.

Raistlin
10th February 2008, 14:56
This is the one (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_21 7894_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varien t__categoryId_31457_crumb_33958-33974_parentcategoryrn_31457) I've seen in Halfords.

Yes

That's the beast

MrBitsy
10th February 2008, 20:31
Lovely deep gloss there :drool4: - nice job indeed :luvya:

trebor
11th February 2008, 10:59
Great job. I also had my UDM out at the weekend and having upgraded to a Sonus Orange pad and a different cutting polish, my swirl marks are disappearing which is great news as i cant wait to get the whole car done now i am on the right track.