PDA

View Full Version : Shreaded tyre

Jay
29th August 2013, 20:58
I got a puncture last night within 1/4 mile from home.
Decided to carry on but this morning it is a right mess.
Holes a ripped tyre.
I tried to change it for the spare today but the wheel nuts would not budge even with the four pointed nut wrench.

What do I do? Phone up the place near me that put the wheel on (Havers Norwich) and call them of even drive it down there for them to fit my spare or phone the AA as I have home start and see if they can sort it out....... I just don't want my premiums going up with the AA next year.

The tyre is shot to bits so If I did go to Havers its only 1/4 mile away.

What do you think? The alloy is curbed anyway:shrug:

Ps its the front passenger side and possibly drivable to Havers

pab
29th August 2013, 21:04
If the wheel bolts have been and probably will have been overtightened with a power tool, you have little chance of loosening bolts with the supplied wheel brace. The alternative is a decent 17mm socket with a decent bar to get the correct leverage.

The tyre shop as you say is local, give them a ring and explain the predicament that you are in.

VMax1000
29th August 2013, 21:07
Four pointed wrench will not work on over tightened nuts.
Get a piece of steel tube on it to get leverage and try again :)

I bought myself one of these from Draper

http://www.coopersdirect.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/9/69661.jpg

E_T_V
29th August 2013, 21:09
Don't drive it on the road. It is too hazardous to you and to others in the local vicinity.

Ask the tyre place to borrow their big breaker bar for such eventualities.

Aren't the wheel nuts 18mm?

Jay
29th August 2013, 21:09

I think if they over tightened by the company I would have been in a worse mess had I have miles away:(

pab
29th August 2013, 21:12
Get a piece of steel tube on it to get leverage and try again :) One slip and it's damage to the wheel bolt area of the alloy, they will not sit far enough square onto the bolt under pressure..

It's a decent socket and a big bar to do the job right.

Jay
29th August 2013, 21:12
Cant I get the AA to do it for me. I pay enough but don't want to get screwed on the renewal:shrug:

VMax1000
29th August 2013, 21:17
One slip and it's damage to the wheel bolt area of the alloy, they will not sit far enough square onto the bolt under pressure..

It's a decent socket and a big bar to do the job right.

Good thing with a four pointed wrench is you can hold the thing level to the bolt and put your foot on the bar :) Even with scaffolding extension :)

See the pic in my previous post of the Draper tool I bought.

MangoMan
29th August 2013, 21:44

I bought myself one of these from Draper

http://www.coopersdirect.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/9/69661.jpg

I bought one of these, certainly does the job and about a fiver at Tescos...

vindaloo
30th August 2013, 07:58
Cant I get the AA to do it for me. I pay enough but don't want to get screwed on the renewal:shrug:

What's the point in paying each year if you are frightened of using them:shrug:

pab
30th August 2013, 08:15
What's the point in paying each year if you are frightened of using them:shrug:
It's all down to the rise in the premium. Times are hard and if you can rectify a problem like this without their assistance, perhaps a saving will be made in the long run.

marinabrian
30th August 2013, 08:36
It's all down to the rise in the premium. Times are hard and if you can rectify a problem like this without their assistance, perhaps a saving will be made in the long run.

There is no rise in the AA prices if you stick to "fair usage".
In any event do what I do, play off the AA against the RAC if they decide to hike the premium.
HTH
Brian :D

MangoMan
30th August 2013, 08:49
As you are at home it will only be worth calling the AA if you have 'Home-Start'...

tourer
30th August 2013, 09:54
I always find that the wheel brace supplied by MG-ROVER can be stood on without slipping off the nut. Never had a problem that way. Applies a lot of leverage.
Mind you,, I am of a "good" weight.

yzf600r
30th August 2013, 10:34
Phone the AA. You are allowed so many call outs with out any penalty, its why you pay the premium for home start

Heddy
30th August 2013, 20:34
Get the AA to do it. On renewal go for the RAC online deal, it will always be cheaper than the renewal because you would be a new customer so it will be discounted. I alternate every year, loyalty costs you dearly, it's the same as insurance, mainly because it IS insurance :shrug:

Jay
30th August 2013, 21:06
Got the AA to sort out the tyre in the end. Thanks for your responses.
The guy was very easy going and even toped up my tyre pressures on the rest of the wheels. Sorted:)

I just now need £110 to replace the old punctured tyre that looked brand new with grip:(;)