PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean the black window trim

telboy
12th February 2008, 02:23
Hi
Some of the black trim around the windows of my Rover 75 Tourer are becoming worse for wear.Any ideas how to clean them or can I get replacements (where from )
Also the car is in Wedgewood blue and the bonnet appears a very slight shade lighter than the rest of the bodywork but have been told that it's just the way the light catches it.Does anyone else have this with this colour.
Thanks from telboy

ikorodu
12th February 2008, 05:12
Hi there telboy and welcome to the club!:welcome:

I too would be interested to see what is available for cleaning the black bits on a tourer, as mine needs a bit of freshening up in that area. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along shortly. We're a friendly bunch round here!

Rob

robwijnstok
12th February 2008, 06:35
Welcome to the club Telboy!

Wash your car. Pay special attention to the window trims. Dry the car especially the window trims. Then apply a thin film of good old Vaseline on the trims, and after two weeks they will be much better, when you wash the car again, and have removed the Vaseline!

When you do this regular, the trims stay good.

Hope this helps,

Rob.

Raistlin
12th February 2008, 08:11
I've never heard of that one before Rob - I'll have to give it a try.

"Back to black" is also useful for bringing black trim back up to standard.

telboy
12th February 2008, 11:59
Thanks Rob
I have just applied some vaseline to the trim and can see that it's going to work
Regards Terry

telboy
12th February 2008, 12:01
Hi Paul
Also going to try some back to black as you suggest but the vaseline does make a difference even tho I've only just used it today.
Regards Terry

telboy
12th February 2008, 12:03
Hi Rob
Thanks for the friendly post
See my replies to the other Rob and Paul
Regards Terry

empsburna
12th February 2008, 12:52
peanut butter/peanut oil should stain them enough to give a fairly long lasting finish.

nairda
12th February 2008, 13:39
Presumably the window trims referred to are the actual window rubbers rather than the black finishers?

SWMBO will definitely think I've lost the plot when I start smearing the car with Vaseline/peanut oil....

empsburna
12th February 2008, 13:50
Presumably the window trims referred to are the actual window rubbers rather than the black finishers?

SWMBO will definitely think I've lost the plot when I start smearing the car with Vaseline/peanut oil....
I thought the window finishers were painted on the tourer?

nairda
12th February 2008, 13:53
Ah, in that case the Vaseline/peanut oil is for the rubbers then. Yes, the finishers are painted. Just wanted clarification. Thought it a little odd smearing the above on painted surfaces....

empsburna
12th February 2008, 13:54
Ah, in that case the Vaseline/peanut oil is for the rubbers then. Yes, the finishers are painted. Just wanted clarification. Thought it a little odd smearing the above on painted surfaces....
Sorry, I wasn't very clear either. IIRC the ZT's are painted black but chrome underneath.

Anyway - are we talking about the same thing?! lol

nairda
12th February 2008, 14:17
Sorry, I wasn't very clear either. IIRC the ZT's are painted black but chrome underneath.

Anyway - are we talking about the same thing?! lol

If you look at my sig pic, the black finishers are the vertical bits between driver/passenger side windows. Those are the bits I was referring to. The rubber strips edging the windows are the areas I assumed were the Vaseline/peanut oil is to be applied. Confusing to say the least!

telboy
12th February 2008, 14:41
Hi Rob
We liked your 'Guardian Angel 'quote so much that we sent it to my brother, whose car (THE ROVER ) we bought .He still regrets selling it to me ,so much that I have to tell him almost everyday how he/she is ;Sad really but they are a lovely car and I'm starting to feel the same.
Regards
Terry

robwijnstok
12th February 2008, 17:24
Hi Rob
We liked your 'Guardian Angel 'quote so much that we sent it to my brother, whose car (THE ROVER ) we bought .He still regrets selling it to me ,so much that I have to tell him almost everyday how he/she is ;Sad really but they are a lovely car and I'm starting to feel the same.
Regards
Terry

That's OK Terry,

I will not take any legal steps to you or your poor (75 less?) brother :D.

Concerning the 75, that's what I have to. The 75 has a soul. Last Sunday I had a 75 treat day for her. Extra good washing, cleaned the inside, gave the dashboard a good rub (walnut shines better than new!), and gave the windows a extra good clean job (it is like driving without windows all week now). And on the Monday she treated me back with a extra smooth ride to work and back. Even today I loved it more than ever! :drool4::drool4::drool4:

I love the 75... and understand when others feel the same.

Rob

TimO
17th February 2008, 21:57
I find that a good wax like P21 or collinite brings the painted pillars up beautifully .

Graham1961
21st February 2008, 19:58
Try Autoglym bumper care, but i do believe vaseline makes a difference.

johnnyallan
18th May 2008, 15:37
Today I cleaned my black trim with PVC Cleaner and polished after, they have come up like new

SD1too
18th May 2008, 20:27
Also the car is in Wedgewood blue and the bonnet appears a very slight shade lighter than the rest of the bodywork but have been told that it's just the way the light catches it.

I hate to say it, but when one panel appears slightly lighter or darker than another it usually means a dodgy re-spray.:o

Simon.

empsburna
19th May 2008, 07:33
I hate to say it, but when one panel appears slightly lighter or darker than another it usually means a dodgy re-spray.:o

Simon.
Ah, I am convinced that they have the bonnets sprayed elsewhere/differently - only the facelift cars seem to have the same kind of even paint - every other 75/ZT I have done had had some problems with just the bonnet - i'm going to get a few readings with a paint thickness gauge to see what happens!

carlpenn
20th May 2008, 23:40
I use Auto Glym Vinyl and Rubber Care on mine - Works a treat.