PDA

View Full Version : Firefox

Ken
16th December 2006, 17:45
I have just installed Firefox and have a problem. On most sites the writing size is fine but on about 3 out of 10 the writing is very very small, google is one of them. If I make the text larger by 'view, textsize and increase' its fine on google but then go to other sites where its normally ok and its way too large. How do I make it show the same size on all sites or to put another way what button do I change it with?

All the sites are fine with IE and Netscape but not Firefox :confused:

Cheers

Ken

GreyGhost
16th December 2006, 17:59
In the preferences, wherever that is on a PC version. Content / Default font. should be 16 change it to whatever suits you. Or go further into the advanced settings and change the Monospace font to something other than the default 13 as well.

Hope this helps :rofl:

Mike
16th December 2006, 18:06
Go to:

tools/options/content

Select your desired font and point size and that should sort it. Go advanced if you want to do more

hth

M

GreyGhost
16th December 2006, 18:13
Go to:

tools/options/content

Select your desired font and point size and that should sort it. Go advanced if you want to do more

hth

M

Thanks Mike, they change the names to protect the innocent on Macs, Once you get to content it is all the same. :)

Ken
16th December 2006, 18:21
All sorted with your help thanks very much. Now you know why I am happy not to have access to the admin control. I can just imagine Christopher and Pete having a few choice words :D

Ghost what does the Monospace font do?

Cheers

Ken

GreyGhost
16th December 2006, 18:43
All sorted with your help thanks very much. Now you know why I am happy not to have access to the admin control. I can just imagine Christopher and Pete having a few choice words :D

Ghost what does the Monospace font do?

Cheers

Ken

If a fixed width font is used on a web page (rare AFAICT) then it will display at the size chosen in the settings.

I tried to locate a page using this type of font by setting it to 144 point, then cruising around for a bit. I couldn't locate a site that uses it.

So short answer is (don't really know) :) some clever clogs will be along in a mo' with the right answer.

Old style bulletin boards and the like used courier fixed width.

BMC123
16th December 2006, 20:53
For a quick way to adjust font size on webpages, just hold down the CTRL key and move your mouse scroll wheel up or down :D No scrollwheel? hold down CTRL and use the plus & Minus keys instead

Ken
16th December 2006, 21:49
For a quick way to adjust font size on webpages, just hold down the CTRL key and move your mouse scroll wheel up or down :D No scrollwheel? hold down CTRL and use the plus & Minus keys instead

Thanks so much BMC that works very well. I must get a list of all the things that you can do with the keys.

Cheers :lol:

Ken

GreyGhost
16th December 2006, 22:11
You'll see all the keyboard commands listed to the right of all the items in your menus, usually ctrl and a key or 2.

BMC123
17th December 2006, 01:11
And those that are not listed can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301583

:D

I must admit to using a lot of keyboard shortcuts, comes i suppose as I "cut my teeth" on 086 and 286 PC's :D all we had back then was DOS or GEM

Ken
17th December 2006, 18:26
Thanks gg and BMC for those

Still having huge problems with this Firefox, I have now got the font size sorted but now its sending lots of other sites I use in a right mess. There is writing all over the place in some websites like photobucket for instance. You got the pictures but instead of the writing being under the piccy its below it but to the right or left and its not in boxes anymore. Its the same with the BBC main website

Any idea's anyone or shall I just go back to IE?

Ken

BMC123
17th December 2006, 19:17
what version of FF are you using? I have ver 2.0 and all sites have been working fine for me (including the BBC) I use both anyway, for a while the older versions of FF had a few problems with some sites, and vice versa so i just keep both just in case :lol: I could get opera but I don't see a need for 3 browsers (4 if you include flock)

Ken
17th December 2006, 20:39
I am using version 2.0 as well. Its annoying having to keep adjusting it to work properly. Think its going to have to be IE for me as I have never had any problems with that.

Thanks all :lol:

Ken