PDA

View Full Version : Need to identify MG ZT rear springs...

paulonsite
9th October 2013, 13:51
Hi :}

Sorry to manually bump a thread, but I really do need help finding which rear springs my ZT M47R saloon is sposed to have and I can't emphasise enough that there is no information anywhere on/in/under the car or springs to identify them - nothing at all, anywhere. I promise. "That" label is not there and that's something that the previous owner (DAR2221) confirmed.

Has anyone fitted some replacements to their ZT M47R saloon? What did you fit? I've found the correct front springs, and correct dampers all round, can't find the correct rears.

Thanks,

Paul...

Captain Leisure
9th October 2013, 17:02
TRy Rimmer Bros.

THey have a chart thingy somewhere on their site.

Are you sure there are no dabs of coloured paint anywhere on the springs?

All the different springs have a colour denomination too.

Number 6
9th October 2013, 17:14
TRy Rimmer Bros.

THey have a chart thingy somewhere on their site.

Are you sure there are no dabs of coloured paint anywhere on the springs?

All the different springs have a colour denomination too.

Not sure but is there not a number or something under the rear seat,seem to remember something about it:shrug:

MrDoodles
9th October 2013, 20:52
Here you go, the parts from Rimmers, http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RKB000580SLP or the cheapest on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-MG-MG-ZT-1999-Onwards-Anschler-Suspension-Rear-Coil-Spring-/300848876337?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AMG+ZT&hash=item460bfd8b31 ;)

SD1too
10th October 2013, 06:49
Here you go, the parts from Rimmers, http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RKB000580SLP
According to a list compiled by T-Cut there are a total of twelve different rear springs for the 75/ZT/ZT-T range. The part number, colour code and 'CI' code are given, but no indication of which model has which spring.

I would therefore be interested to know how Rimmer Bros. has reached it's conclusion. Bear in mind that some tourers were fitted with Boge Nivomat self-levelling rear suspension and that system requires a special 'soft' spring which cannot be used on cars with the conventional set-up. To complicate matters further the ZT/ZT-T was also available with standard or sports suspension.

Paul; you'll notice from Rimmer's photograph that there is a paint code on the spring. I appreciate that you don't have the data label under the rear seat, but have you removed all the road grime from one of your existing springs to look for it? It's not a very pleasant task I agree, and you might even have to take a spring off the car to see it properly, but I fear that it's your only chance unless a club member with the same spec. car comes forward with the data from their label. Alternatively you could PM XPart02 with your VIN number so that he could check the Electronic Parts Catalogue.

Good luck with this.

Simon

MrDoodles
10th October 2013, 06:55
According to a list compiled by T-Cut there are a total of twelve different rear springs for the 75/ZT/ZT-T range. The part number, colour code and 'CI' code are given, but no indication of which model has which spring.

I would therefore be interested to know how Rimmer Bros. has reached it's conclusion. Bear in mind that some tourers were fitted with Boge Nivomat self-levelling rear suspension and that system requires a special 'soft' spring which cannot be used on cars with the conventional set-up. To complicate matters further the ZT/ZT-T was also available with standard or sports suspension.

Paul; you'll notice from Rimmer's photograph that there is a paint code on the spring. I appreciate that you don't have the data label under the rear seat, but have you removed all the road grime from one of your existing springs to look for it? It's not a very pleasant task I agree, and you might even have to take a spring off the car to see it properly, but I fear that it's your only chance unless a club member with the same spec. car comes forward with the data from their label. Alternatively you could PM XPart02 with your VIN number so that he could check the Electronic Parts Catalogue.

Good luck with this.

Simon

To be fair, it doesn't matter how many variations of spring there was originally, it's what is available now for the OP to buy for his car, and that was the choice of two that I gave him!

Now, if he wants to find out the original code for his springs, that's great, but if you then find out that, that exact spring is no longer available, what difference does it make?

SD1too
10th October 2013, 09:05
... it's what is available now for the OP to buy for his car, and that was the choice of two that I gave him!
Did you research every possible source of springs? There are more than one e-bay seller and Rimmer Bros. Another member had a pair of springs made to order for a very reasonable price, so that's another option.

Now, if he wants to find out the original code for his springs, that's great, but if you then find out that, that exact spring is no longer available, what difference does it make?
If you know what you have got, then you can judge the suitability of any replacements offered. For example, if 'sports' suspension matters to you, then you'd probably be dissatisfied with 'standard' springs. In my view, buying something simply because one seller says it fits, when you know that there are a dozen variations, is a gamble.

Simon

MrDoodles
10th October 2013, 09:10
Did you research every possible source of springs? There are more than one e-bay seller and Rimmer Bros. Another member had a pair of springs made to order for a very reasonable price, so that's another option.

No of course I didn't, I was just trying to help a member with links to a couple of sources of replacement springs!

I'm missing the links that you've posted to try and help the member out, can you point them out to me please?

Heddy
10th October 2013, 10:03
Posted earlier this week. I too am baffled by the codes and things. Just bought from Midland Car Spares (ebay) for 40 quid. they list the car, say they're suitable and have certain specifications for quality etc. Will post when fitted to say if they're any good or not. They're Anschler.

paulonsite
15th October 2013, 13:02
Thanks for all the posts guys!

To say again, no labels anywhere, no colours on springs, even when cleaned to the max :mad: and no Xpart record on my VIN (:shrug: Friday afternoon car??) - only a parts label on the rear shocks to go by. Some painstaking research and a looooong conversation with Colliers (0121 382 1010 (they don't deliver (and it's cash in advance!))) has shown the following to be as-close-as-it's-gonna-get:-

Front Springs:- REB000890 (2 off) £48 each
Rear Springs:- RKB000910SLP (1 off, come as a pair) £96 pair
Front dampers:- RH side - RNB001040 (1 off) £75
LH side – RNB001050 (1 off) £75
Rear dampers:- RPD00151 (2 off) £75 each
I'll post this elsewhere to help others, but even if one of the starting points was wrong, my engineer has confirmed they all match. Good job too, near side rear collapsed this morning :hurt:
Thanks again everyone!

Paul