PDA

View Full Version : passengerside cupholder removal

olliesgrandad
9th October 2013, 19:37
passenger side cupholderin a facelift zt .its a ****** to get out dosnt work like it should at all.a friends 75 it gracefully slides out at the lightest touch ! mine dont do anything unless i open the ashtray and pull ! hows it work is it a spring ? thanks in advance

Dragrad
9th October 2013, 22:12
I know that the following refers to the driver's side,

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=645

But the principle would probably be the same :shrug:

May help;)

mikesmith2
10th October 2013, 04:33
It uses a spring with plastic cogs on a type of dog leg fitting.

When you push in slightly it moves a small cam over to unlock allowing it to slide out.

BigJacko
10th October 2013, 14:39
Why not remove the whole cupholder unit and examine the mechanism? It might just be a case of a lack of grease, or a plastic part having jumped across another and snagging up.

They're easily removed, without removing the whole ashtray/cigar/console unit.

Open the passenger cupholder (if you can). Looking at the front of the orifice that it fits in, you'll see it's a square. Look at the bottom right corner of that square... you should see a tiny little hole. Stick a small screwdriver in there - you'll find a little catch. Lift that up, and then gently pull the whole cupholder system out. Then have a play with it indoors in the warm... any faults will soon be obvious, as will the way it actually functions. It can sometimes, if treated roughly, overlap itself, and won't go back in quite smoothly (which would also affect it coming out next time). You'll be able to jiggle it about better when it's fully out and in your hands, and I'm sure you'll work it out then!

Cheers
Neil

J1MBO
10th October 2013, 15:38
:iagree::wot: best way to diagnose what the problem is, for example lack of grease or a faulty mechanism.

olliesgrandad
10th October 2013, 18:49
thanks for the replies , ill have a go at the week end cheers all