PDA

View Full Version : changed abs sensor cable but abs comes on. .

HughB67
10th October 2013, 05:50
If anyone can help this would be appreciated! I went over a pothole and lost speedo and abs light came on so I have changed the os abs sensor cable. The abs light is out and the speedo works but the speedo now "wanders" like an old mini-if sat at 70 it ranges between 68-72 and checking it against the sat nav its at least 10% out. Also the osf wheel abs keeps kicking in all the time.

Have been told to change the hub???? Any ideas will be gratefully received thanks

Astraeus
10th October 2013, 06:21
If anyone can help this would be appreciated! I went over a pothole and lost speedo and abs light came on so I have changed the os abs sensor cable. The abs light is out and the speedo works but the speedo now "wanders" like an old mini-if sat at 70 it ranges between 68-72 and checking it against the sat nav its at least 10% out. Also the osf wheel abs keeps kicking in all the time.

Have been told to change the hub???? Any ideas will be gratefully received thanks

Hi there

I had an issue like this a couple of years ago. I had to drill out old one as it was stuck. In doing this upset things. The new sensor which I bought off fleabay gave exactly the same fault. I replaced it for a second hand genuine part...problem solved for me. You may have to replace hub if damaged. The inductor ring is in this. ( actually in wheel bearing) if this is damaged or has metal bits stuck in it you would also get same fault. Also check the connection home properly. It has also been suggested that that taking a very small amount off the sensor where it sits on the hub. This allows it to sit a little closer to the ring. But be careful not to over do it and let it touch.

Should be an easy fix.

Chris

HughB67
10th October 2013, 07:09
Cheers Chris. So you think changing the hub is last resort then?

Mike Noc
10th October 2013, 07:46
I had the same problem with a rear ABS sensor. Found that the sensor wasn't near enough to the magnetic reluctor so it was missing sensing the odd segment.

Nothing was blocking it so ended up filing a couple of mm off the bracket to move it nearer. Put it down to both sensor and bearing being aftermarket.

You may have damaged the reluctor ring getting the old one out, but check that the new sensor is correctly seated.

Use French Mike's test - connect a meter to the sensor cables and it should change between 0.7 volts and 1.7 volts as each segment is picked up.

Mark a line on the wheel and then slowly rotate it and see if there are any dead spots and if there are always in the same place?