PDA

View Full Version : Rain-sensor Wiper fault - permamently wiping

steveharvey2001
11th October 2013, 14:32
My 2004 R75 Tourer Mk2 has been working impeccably for the last year but has just started showing a problem.

I have a rain sensor on the windscreen and I have always had the wipers working intermitently with the rain intensity as intended (when on the first click of the wiper switch position) with the sensitivity set by the twist knob.

Recently however, the first position makes the wiper operate almost continuously however wet or dry the windsceen is ... . or whatever position the twist knob is set to.

Has anyone had this fault before? Is it more likely to be a sensor unit problem or a problem with the actual glass screen? The car has done over 220,000 miles so the screen has seen some wear & tear over the last 9 years.

I presume it would be costly to fix if I needed a new screen.

Is there an option that I can have, via T4, to make the car think it does not have rain sensors so that the first position is intermittent wipe with the twist knob setting the interval?

Steve

Mark2000cc
11th October 2013, 14:54
sounds like a canbus error to me? im sure more people will be on there way to give there view.

NigelOBB
11th October 2013, 16:01
My 2004 R75 Tourer Mk2 has been working impeccably for the last year but has just started showing a problem.

I have a rain sensor on the windscreen and I have always had the wipers working intermitently with the rain intensity as intended (when on the first click of the wiper switch position) with the sensitivity set by the twist knob.

Recently however, the first position makes the wiper operate almost continuously however wet or dry the windsceen is ... . or whatever position the twist knob is set to.

Has anyone had this fault before? Is it more likely to be a sensor unit problem or a problem with the actual glass screen? The car has done over 220,000 miles so the screen has seen some wear & tear over the last 9 years.

I presume it would be costly to fix if I needed a new screen.

Is there an option that I can have, via T4, to make the car think it does not have rain sensors so that the first position is intermittent wipe with the twist knob setting the interval?

Steve

Mine has started doing it every now and again on a morning when the windscreen is fogged up.. I just switch off and seems to be fine after that.. I think it's something to do with light bat as Mark says some one else will be along shortly 😄

JonMs
11th October 2013, 19:11
Mine did the same thing. Replacing the module that clips to the screen sorted it.

JonMs
11th October 2013, 19:13
Just to add. If its faulty you can just disconnect it and normal intermittent variable wipe will be available without the need for t4.

steveharvey2001
11th October 2013, 19:53
Thanks. I will try pulling the plug in the morning and report back the results.

Steve

marinabrian
11th October 2013, 20:58
Just to add. If its faulty you can just disconnect it and normal intermittent variable wipe will be available without the need for t4.

No it can't, with the rain sensor disconnected, the intermittent wipe does not work at all if the coding is in the car for rain sensing screen.

Brian :D

steveharvey2001
12th October 2013, 10:54
I have just unplugged it and the intermittent wipe is now wiping at about one wipe per 30 seconds when in the first position, but the twist knob has no effect on the wiping frequency.

I have not driven it yet so have not discovered if there is any speed influence on the wiping frequency.

Steve

JonMs
14th October 2013, 17:35
Brian,
Although you say 'no it can't', mine categorically does! I might add that others have found the same. Maybe some cars are different but it works perfectly on my 2003 tourer.

marinabrian
14th October 2013, 22:14
Brian,
Although you say 'no it can't', mine categorically does! I might add that others have found the same. Maybe some cars are different but it works perfectly on my 2003 tourer.

Ok, you win :getmecoat:

The BCU if instructed via ZCS coding that a car has rain sensing wipers, will inhibit intermittent wipe if the rain sensor ecu is defective.

So it may "work", but certainly not perfectly ;)

Brian :D