PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Convertor

Christopher
31st October 2006, 10:38
My first 'problem question' :clap:

R70 is at the local garage outside uni (NOT ex-MGR) as she had a horrible vibrating sound at about 2000 rpm near the exhaust manifold/pipe which was getting louder this week - thought (hoped) it might be a loose exhaust.

They have diagnosed a dead cat convertor and have quoted cost for a 'pattern part' replacement. I've asked them to go away and find an MGR part - he said he will try (but doubted they were available) - availability aside - is it OK to use an off the shelf item? or will I pay through the nose for the same part with MGR stamped on it??

thoughts?

Keith
31st October 2006, 10:49
Good question I would like to think cats must be made to some sort of standard but chances are they are not and although a third party one should (must?) meet emission requirements you probably have no idea if it is strangling the engine to do so

I had one in the manifold go pop on my Mondeo V6, the hit on performance was so bad I got it trailered to the dealer I bought it from that cost me £1200 as all three had to be replaced

as it happens this link might be useful and at £75 plus P+P probably worth a try
http://www.cats4less.co.uk/product_details.php?id=2138&pr_pc_id=&pr_man_id=32&pr_mod_id=293&searchtype=simple&startpos=0&max=10

In fact £75 is amazingly low as on the EPC you a re looking at £380 upwards :eek:

Christopher
31st October 2006, 10:50
Answering my own question - 'pattern part' + fitting = £108, MGR Part + fitting = 2 day wait and £580!!!

I'm going with the pattern part!!

Keith
31st October 2006, 10:53
Actually thinking about it a Cat needs the right flow through it to operate at the correct temperature so if it was strangling the engine it probably would not work or would not last long.
I would say fit a third party one get the emissions checked at the same time then compare to your last MOT and double check performance is ok if not happy get them to take it off.

Christopher
31st October 2006, 10:57
Actually thinking about it a Cat needs the right flow through it to operate at the correct temperature so if it was strangling the engine it probably would not work or would not last long.
I would say fit a third party one get the emissions checked at the same time then compare to your last MOT and double check performance is ok if not happy get them to take it off.

Good - I've more or less just said the above to them! :) I also have a 2 year warranty, so if I am not happy I will be going back!!

Cheers

Kandyman
31st October 2006, 14:19
For the difference in cost it has to be worth a try.

Pete
31st October 2006, 20:49
2 months after the warranty had gone on the Freelander I got for the old dear the cat went walkies (which always happens to me when I buy a car!). The local garage sorted out a pattern repalcement for £110 and it sailed through the MoT recently. I do think that sometimes there is a hefty markup on certain parts and it's chiefly down to the badge on the box so to speak.

robt2379
5th November 2006, 12:04
Hi

I had to replace the cat on my 2 year old ZT cdti 135 after a "spirited" drive home from Gatwick in the middle of the night. Turned out that the flexipipe had cracked on the original, so I sourced a replacement from http://www.catman.co.uk for about £200 and fitted for £50. Local Rover MG dealer quoted me nearly £600 for a replacement!
After 3 months, no problems and certainly no detectable change in performance. Came with a 2 year warranty too.
Regards

Rob

Keith
5th November 2006, 12:07
Thanks and welcome Rob

Christopher
5th November 2006, 12:08
Thanks Rob - good to know. After a few weeks all appears to be well on mine too.

BTW - Welcome, too ;)

Phil
5th November 2006, 14:43
My 75 1.8turbo is having a cat soon, the warranty company want to inspect it, it rattles at about 2,000 rpm, the car has done about 48,000 miles. I'm sure I was told by soomeone that all cats have to be made to a standard and have to last 50,000 miles?!

Christopher
5th November 2006, 15:32
My 75 1.8turbo is having a cat soon, the warranty company want to inspect it, it rattles at about 2,000 rpm, the car has done about 48,000 miles. I'm sure I was told by soomeone that all cats have to be made to a standard and have to last 50,000 miles?!

Mines done 34,000 - and it rattled like crazy at about 2000rpm too :(

Dave Goody
5th November 2006, 20:48
My cat rattles too but has just passed MOT with no problem with emissions, I think I will put up with the rattle for a while Dave

Alex30013k
6th November 2006, 19:00
What a shame.

I have a brand new Rover one just sitting in my garadge,

Me thinks this will be going on Ebay!

:(

Christopher
6th November 2006, 19:02
What a shame.

If only I had known! Thanks for the offer though - go for it on Ebay if it is the genuine Rover part it will be worth it!

All the best

Z135T
6th November 2006, 19:08
cat on old cavalier diesel I had from nigh on new lasted 110000m,put this down to fact that every night before it went to bed, I drove it around till the engine was at normal operating temp then straight into the garage it went.I am doing same with diesel ZT,I believe cats fail due to not being warmed up when placed in garage at night, as it won't do it any good to start and stop in few minutes when parking for the night.

thoughts anyone

Dave Goody
6th November 2006, 23:04
Answering my own question - 'pattern part' + fitting = £108, MGR Part + fitting = 2 day wait and £580!!!

I'm going with the pattern part!!

Can you tell me where the pattern Cat + fitting can be obtained at that price I have the evil rattle too, strangely it passed MOT last week so emissions ok
Thanks Dave

crofts
9th November 2006, 01:18
Pretty sure SMC have these listed.though for which model/s I'm not sure. Bound to be cheaper than Xpart. Pretty sure they said O/E too.

Also saw Co. "The Fitting Bay" on ebay today. They make most exhaust parts for the R75 with 2 yr warranty (back box was £35+£12.50 delivery.Centre £37.99+£12.50 delivery.) Say they can custom make exit pipe/s. They also refurbish the cat if the o/s is in sound condition. Location : Atherston, Warwickshie but have new branch in Birmingham. No web address, John & Dean on 0121 359 1016

Alex30013k
9th November 2006, 05:11
Pretty sure SMC have these listed.though for which model/s I'm not sure. Bound to be cheaper than Xpart. Pretty sure they said O/E too.

Also saw Co. "The Fitting Bay" on ebay today. They make most exhaust parts for the R75 with 2 yr warranty (back box was £35+£12.50 delivery.Centre £37.99+£12.50 delivery.) Say they can custom make exit pipe/s. They also refurbish the cat if the o/s is in sound condition. Location : Atherston, Warwickshie but have new branch in Birmingham. No web address, John & Dean on 0121 359 1016

Well done that might be just want i need.

crofts
9th November 2006, 12:42
My first 'problem question' :clap:

R70 is at the local garage outside uni (NOT ex-MGR) as she had a horrible vibrating sound at about 2000 rpm near the exhaust manifold/pipe which was getting louder this week - thought (hoped) it might be a loose exhaust.

They have diagnosed a dead cat convertor and have quoted cost for a 'pattern part' replacement. I've asked them to go away and find an MGR part - he said he will try (but doubted they were available) - availability aside - is it OK to use an off the shelf item? or will I pay through the nose for the same part with MGR stamped on it??

thoughts?

Hi Christopher and Alex
Havent read right through posts and not sure which lead Alex followed up. Just to say on my ebay alerts SMC are offering O/E cats with bid at £99
Good price if you get it for that. Good luck

Commodore
11th November 2006, 19:00
Mines done 34,000 - and it rattled like crazy at about 2000rpm too :(
Exactly what mine was doing, though it used to settle down once the car had warmed up. Everyone thought it was the inlet manifold on the way out, but had the cat replaced under warranty and no more rattle, plus performance and fuel consumption has improved - getting an extra 50 miles per tank of fuel out of it.

Commodore
11th November 2006, 19:02
What a shame.

Proper brand new Rover ones seem to be selling on eBay for 200-250 quid depending on whether they are for the 1.8 or the V6.

crofts
12th November 2006, 03:05
Proper brand new Rover ones seem to be selling on eBay for 200-250 quid depending on whether they are for the 1.8 or the V6.

SMC must be worth a call then. Did anyone buy from them after I posted their offer ?
Did anyone try 'The Fitting Bay ? Could be a good contact for members wanting reasonably priced exhaust components or their cat refubished

huggy444
16th December 2008, 13:44
I needed a new cat for my MOT, usual thing the flexi pipe had gone. Official price is laughable.... but I got mine from autobits.co.uk for £104 including a fitting kit with the bolts hangers etc. Arrived next day at the garage, they fitted it in 45 minutes. MOT'd.. job done. They liked the Cat as well, said it was good quality, and it sounds so much better now( without the split in the flexi hose )

baxlin
16th December 2008, 14:06
I needed a new cat for my MOT, usual thing the flexi pipe had gone. Official price is laughable.... but I got mine from autobits.co.uk for £104 including a fitting kit with the bolts hangers etc. Arrived next day at the garage, they fitted it in 45 minutes. MOT'd.. job done. They liked the Cat as well, said it was good quality, and it sounds so much better now( without the split in the flexi hose )

Huggy - most of this thread's been about petrol variants - I think if mine went on the diesel (done 137000 miles so it must have a limited life, methinks) I will be going for a decat, which I understand will be a lot cheaper, and probably improve performance?

Can anyone confirm I'm not barking up the wrong tree?
Thanks

Malcolm

tony g
16th December 2008, 19:16
well im still running without a cat on mine, it did pass its m.o.t last month without it so it will stay that way till it fails !!!!!!!

JohnDotCom
16th December 2008, 20:42
Diesels will run fine with no CAT fitted. (Bypassed)
They also pass through the MOT without problems.
Several members on here have de-cat their diesel cars.
It can be slightly noisier in car but not to noticeable.

I cannot comment on Petrol Cars as they have a more complex system.
Tony does it effect your performance at all without the sensors giving correct readings?

tony g
16th December 2008, 21:33
I cannot comment on Petrol Cars as they have a more complex system.
Tony does it effect your performance at all without the sensors giving correct readings?

no John but it does go slightly better without it.