PDA

View Full Version : what are these things

KLM
27th October 2013, 11:04
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5189/c2ko.jpg

Hi, My R75 is missing these two end stopper things on the ends of the rubber strip running across the firewall. what are they called and who has a pair to spare.
thanks in advance.
kevin.

rich17865
27th October 2013, 11:42
No idea what they are called, no doubt a trader can help you out.

But, what happens to them is they soak up loads of water, and in the winter they freeze to the bonnet. When you open the bonnet it rips them off. Obviously you never notice until it has gone :(

KLM
27th October 2013, 12:26
Thanks for your reply rich, Hmm, why did Rover put two sponges on end of the rubber strip. :confused:
Seems like I'm better off without them.

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/1184/ekon.jpg
However, I must obtain a pair out of curiosity.

kevin.

Bolin
27th October 2013, 12:58
Some cars didn't have them.

Early cars didn't have them, then they were introduced, then they disappeared for a while (probably your car fits in here) and then they came back later on.

At least that appears to be what happened.

KLM
27th October 2013, 14:39
Some cars didn't have them.

Early cars didn't have them, then they were introduced, then they disappeared for a while (probably your car fits in here) and then they came back later on..

Thanks Bollin, thats very interesting, I've never heard of these buffer/ stops or whatever they are called being mentioned before on the forum.
Perhaps someone else will chip in with even more info.

I've looked on Rimmers site, but can't locate anything there, I can't find the original bolts for the slam panel there either.:shrug:
Anymore comments on these two items will be welcome.
Learning more all the while. :D
Kevin.

raykay
27th October 2013, 14:58
www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001774

Item 5, but sadly, NLA.

Moonshine Mark
27th October 2013, 15:25
The other problem with them soaking up water is they start to rust the metal underneath them :(

KLM
27th October 2013, 15:27
Thanks Ray, there's the item "plenum end seals".
........Now you see 'um now you don't. :shrug:

Another small discovery into the insight of the preocupations of the Rover bead counters.

Kevin.

Nev The Bear
27th October 2013, 15:29
My car had one missing when I bought it.

It looked like the sponge is stuck on with a double sided tape.

I was able to locate buy the missing piece of sponge at a breakers yard, I think I was only charged a £1 for the sponge.

I then stuck this in place with a suitable adhesive.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/NevTheBear3/20131012_113054_zpseb4a449c.jpg

The sponge has stayed in place fine with the adhesive.

Heddy
27th October 2013, 19:38
I haven't got any of the bungs/sponges, dunno if I want them to be honest. Slam panel bolts are nothing special, the majority of them anyway. (hex heads) I've replaced mine with stainless steel ones c/w stainless washers, found them in a hardware store, £1 for 6. Just remove one and compare, something like M6 x 20mm. The bonnet locks are around 30-40mm long though, can be cut down and filed up, after all, they wont rust on the cut end :shrug: