PDA

View Full Version : S525OVP No Progress?

AGAs
3rd November 2013, 07:46
I don't tend to need to post much but I have enjoyed reading the technical section and about people's projects since even before I joined :-). But looking at this project I have been puzzling for a while about this. I have read all the threads on this car now. This looked a really great project. It seemed to have started so well. But literally four years on almost to the day and it isn't finished? There is putting things on the backburner and then there is this project! Looks pretty pointless really. It isn't down to a lack of offers of help from members and traders either judging by the many offers in these threads! Club members must have the patience of saints or they have forgotten all about the car or have they just given up on this potentially great project?

Why after four years, isn't this finished and proudly showcased by the club? Or if that is beyond the Club and owners abilities then why have this section on the car running in the first place? Is it just a really good example of how not to project manage a car restoration? Or is it just a great example of bangernomics in action now? What has stopped the progress?

Not really having a go, just mystified by what it is all for?:shrug:

DaveyC
3rd November 2013, 08:22
I think its been accepted that the project has stalled and folk have just lost interest.......... Sad really, as its such an early example.

Le Mans 190
4th November 2013, 08:26
What stage is the car at nowadays??

AGAs
5th November 2013, 21:06
I can see what you mean about people having lost interest:shrug:

suzublu
5th November 2013, 21:33
The car owner,& the forum owner,Christopher,is too busy involved in his career,i have no idea on the progress of the car,it's not even the oldest known,as that used to belong to to roverowner,(Dr Alan Cranston) who sadly passed away earlier this year,& the car is still,as far as i know,in Sweden.:shrug:

Gate Keeper
7th November 2013, 16:09
The car owner,& the forum owner,Christopher,is too busy involved in his career,i have no idea on the progress of the car,it's not even the oldest known,as that used to belong to to roverowner,(Dr Alan Cranston) who sadly passed away earlier this year,& the car is still,as far as i know,in Sweden.:shrug:

There was another 75 which turned up a few months ago which was even older than OVP and mine. It was sold on ebay. What became of it is open to speculation: did it end up being broken up for parts or did it go abroad or into storage? In regards to Alan, he had been an authority on the early pre-launch cars whilst never being elitist about his 75 being the oldest one in the club. I believe his car remains in Sweden.

I had not seen the latest post about OVP until just now. By coincidence, I was thinking about OVP yesterday and wondered how the old lady was getting on, as we had not heard any recent reports from Christopher about her progress.

The last report of when he saw it would be enough for me ;)

I am writing from Nairobi and understand the difficulties involved in talking about a car which is thousands of miles away. If you do get the chance of logging on Christopher can you please let us know how OVP is doing?

RPWC
18th November 2013, 16:02
I was in Christopher's company on Saturday at the NEC , it was nice to finally meet the man himself , and someone broached the subject of OVP, and Christopher said that the next step was to get it resprayed as it was just standing on his drive. But as usual, unfortunately his work commitments mean he has little time to get this organised.
We were lucky to have his presence at the NEC show, so when he will have time to sort out the next step for OVP who knows.:shrug:

Woof25
18th November 2013, 18:14
Well far be it from me to cause a ruckus but isnt it possible with all the members who have offered their services and help over the last 4 years, that the job over getting the car sprayed could be delegated to a member to oversee, with the adequate funds after a suitable garage or person is found to carry out the work at a reasonable price so it would be sparkling when christopher returns :D wedgewood blue I assume to the cowley JEL code not Longbridge !!! As I said its just a thought.

AGAs
18th November 2013, 21:48
Well the next step was being talked about by Pab in 2011!?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=87666

And it looked like the work back then was being sorted by Andy Willi.

It doesn't look promising really :-(

andy willi
21st November 2013, 07:35
we had to put this on hold as i closed down the garage so not the clubs fault
the problem with doing a car up with no real money and needing some spent on it is a problem i am sure its going to happen but think of this most of us work and dont get allot of time to spare so progress will be slow

andy

Lates
21st November 2013, 10:37
It needs more than painting. There are a few mishaped metal parts and corrosion to deal with. The site security stripes were trimmed with a stanley blade down to the metal in more than one place.

Gate Keeper
21st November 2013, 19:00
It needs more than painting. There are a few mishaped metal parts and corrosion to deal with. The site security stripes were trimmed with a stanley blade down to the metal in more than one place.

Thanks for updates Andy, Lates and Richard as it all helps in building up a picture about the car.

seancar
21st November 2013, 21:28
i supplied loads and loads of parts for the car i had a long list that was needed for it i gave Christopher everything on the list apart from a few bits that i did not have. redfive even dropped them down to reebs. i agreed to do the paint work and never heard back. :shrug:

Mark2000cc
21st November 2013, 22:11
To be honest, the whole thing is a little embarrassing and should never have been started in the first place, it makes the club look a little silly to new (and old) members and could do with this thread deleting tbh.
Not a go at any one, as life gets in the way Sometimes.

AGAs
21st November 2013, 22:35
Who are you to say the thread needs deleting? It was started because having read all the background I wanted to know what the state of play was! Tha nks to various replies we all have a better idea now. The thread doesn't need deleting, the car needs finishing - which would be really nice to see.

Jay
21st November 2013, 22:55
Every time I see the letters OVP on this site now I think 'Only Vague Progress' or 'Over Valued Project'. Shame really because a lot of members have given their time end effort to this car:(

seancar
21st November 2013, 23:06
Every time I see the letters OVP on this site now I think 'Only Vague Progress' or 'Over Valued Project'. Shame really because a lot of members have given their time end effort to this car:(

jay its not worth worrying about now :flog: springs to mind now.its a shame :shrug:

Mark2000cc
22nd November 2013, 07:13
Who are you to say the thread needs deleting? It was started because having read all the background I wanted to know what the state of play was! Tha nks to various replies we all have a better idea now. The thread doesn't need deleting, the car needs finishing - which would be really nice to see.

I'm no one to say the thread should be deleted, and I know it won't be, I'm just pointing out that it's a little embarrassing for the club... The car will never be finished by the way so this thread will run and run forever, going round in circles.

Woof25
22nd November 2013, 11:28
I concur with the views generally held by other members, it was a good idea in the beginning and many people helped to get it started, but in my view its now down to the person who actually owns the car to decide as to and when or if anything else happens, after all isnt this how the rest of us have to cope with our own cars needs, and yes we are often luccky enough to get help either with parts or knowledge from the many kind members on here who help out because they want to help keep our cars on the road. To the unsung modest and not so modest 'angels' out there
Thank You:D:D

TR75
22nd November 2013, 21:38
In my mind there was nothing ever holding this project back...There have been members flocking in their droves to help out; in parts, labour and assistance with even moving the car from place to place.

If the owner really wanted to have the car in showroom condition, it probably could have been achieved by now time and time again with all the support. Even if the issue was money - this could have been publicised and maybe even a fundraiser held but I don't think the club suffers from financial issues. :shrug:

I think the biggest factor has been time - my impression is the Owner has a very hectic career which leaves little time for him to arrange/negotiate restoration of OVP. Something we all juggle with across our busy lives, but actually there are plenty of people at the moment that would love nothing else but to offer their help in such a worthwhile project for the benefit of the club, knowing they've given something back.

What would have been the sensible thing to do was arrange for someone else to oversee the project - back to my first point about how many have offered their support. I think unless this happens, OVP will remain in the condition she is currently in which unfortunately is likely to be the condition she enters the scrapyard in, in a couple of years time :(

Jay
24th November 2013, 19:04
In my mind there was nothing ever holding this project back...There have been members flocking in their droves to help out; in parts, labour and assistance with even moving the car from place to place.

If the owner really wanted to have the car in showroom condition, it probably could have been achieved by now time and time again with all the support. Even if the issue was money - this could have been publicised and maybe even a fundraiser held but I don't think the club suffers from financial issues. :shrug:

I think the biggest factor has been time - my impression is the Owner has a very hectic career which leaves little time for him to arrange/negotiate restoration of OVP. Something we all juggle with across our busy lives, but actually there are plenty of people at the moment that would love nothing else but to offer their help in such a worthwhile project for the benefit of the club, knowing they've given something back.

What would have been the sensible thing to do was arrange for someone else to oversee the project - back to my first point about how many have offered their support. I think unless this happens, OVP will remain in the condition she is currently in which unfortunately is likely to be the condition she enters the scrapyard in, in a couple of years time :(

Totally agree Tom. Well put.:cool:

sworks
24th November 2013, 20:34
I believe OVP will be sorted and painted in due time. Another way of looking at it is that the car needs a full respray which will be possibly around the 2k area?? Obviously you can get resprays cheaper and also pay more, so which way do you go? Cheap job which won't last or an expensive job that looks fantastic and promotes the club in the way intended. So, who is entrusted to spend the clubs money in the right way :) Christopher is extremely busy with his career and I'm sure he will sort the car as and when he can and spend what's needed?

Gate Keeper
24th November 2013, 23:57
Fair enough :) thanks for the update.

sworks
25th November 2013, 05:36
Fair enough :) thanks for the update.

Just my own opinion of course :)

Gate Keeper
25th November 2013, 05:46
When I made my last comment it was in the early hours of the morning (a hot night). I noticed that Christopher was on the thread at the same time. I had hoped he would join the discussion about OVP, but as he was not 'on' for long I am guessing he had to rush. No pressure :)

seancar
25th November 2013, 22:00
I believe OVP will be sorted and painted in due time. Another way of looking at it is that the car needs a full respray which will be possibly around the 2k area?? Obviously you can get resprays cheaper and also pay more, so which way do you go? Cheap job which won't last or an expensive job that looks fantastic and promotes the club in the way intended. So, who is entrusted to spend the clubs money in the right way :) Christopher is extremely busy with his career and I'm sure he will sort the car as and when he can and spend what's needed?

mark can i just say one thing that i agreed to do all the body work and a total respray for the price of the paint. reebs know how i work i have done work on his cars. ovp could have been stripped down to a bare shell and totally rebuilt twice in the time it has taken to get this far. nobody can say its funds so may members have offered to do work and supply parts free. lets face it how long has that car sat about how many months at lates {and thats not a knock at late like i said before you cant flog a dead horse} we have all tried with ovp and we have all given up. :shrug:

Woof25
26th November 2013, 17:17
I think its time we stopped giving this rather pointless topic oxygen of publicity to be honest the person whose name is on the V5 is responsible for whether or not the 'project' gets completed and the rest of us have plenty of other projects or members in need of help to continue to worry about something that should have been completed within 15 months.
So let it R.I.P. and dissolve into the ether

Fin

bmcman
26th November 2013, 23:00

I think the car is in the system that's the main thing so hopefully it will not end up in the scrap bin

MonstersV6
11th February 2014, 18:14
Hi all,

Last night I was watching an recorded episode of Silent Witness on Drama (sad I know, but there was nothing else on and I am a sucker for British dramas), to my surprise there was S525 OVP! The car was 'dressed' in police uniform and I even paused the program to check I had not imagined it. I hadn't realised that the car had been used for TV purposes :eek:

Tim_Burgess
13th March 2014, 21:06
Hi all,

Last night I was watching an recorded episode of Silent Witness on Drama (sad I know, but there was nothing else on and I am a sucker for British dramas), to my surprise there was S525 OVP! The car was 'dressed' in police uniform and I even paused the program to check I had not imagined it. I hadn't realised that the car had been used for TV purposes :eek:

I was watching an old episode of New Tricks on Drama a couple of weeks ago and it turned up in police livery on that as well.

seancar
13th March 2014, 21:28
Sure it wasnt one of these magic shows lol.

Woof25
20th March 2014, 14:53
or too many magic mushrooms lol :D

ViT
20th March 2014, 21:07
I'd love to see some update on this!

TR75
23rd March 2014, 22:27
I'd love to see some update on this!

I may be very pessimistic in saying 'don't hold your breath!'

Robson Rover Repair
8th May 2014, 23:23
Even ive managed to put two cars on the road since the last announcement lol!

Poggit
12th May 2014, 22:44
Iv'e lost all interest in this project -and I suspect a few others have too.The vehicle seemed a bit of a hotch potch of a job with quite a low spec.
I'd have more enthusiasm for restoring a 75 with as many extras as possible-as a shining example of just how good these cars can be. It would even have a drivers side cup holder.
Of course there could be quite a lot of debate over just exactly which engine/ paint spec to choose-everyone has their loyalties:}.
My choice would be.... a duotone 2.5 v6 MK1 automatic. Which I suppose is odd from some one who owns a Mk2 1.8 manual LOL

Woof25
13th May 2014, 07:34
You have excellent taste but am based owning a duotone auto diesel the only improvement I can think of would be a v6 on lpg:D

sworks
13th May 2014, 19:26
Iv'e lost all interest in this project -and I suspect a few others have too.The vehicle seemed a bit of a hotch potch of a job with quite a low spec.
I'd have more enthusiasm for restoring a 75 with as many extras as possible-as a shining example of just how good these cars can be.

I'm quite the opposite, I love the cars history and the fact it isn't a high spec car. There are probably 5 or 6 cars within the club that I would love to own and OVP is one of them!

seancar
14th May 2014, 08:50
I'm quite the opposite, I love the cars history and the fact it isn't a high spec car. There are probably 5 or 6 cars within the club that I would love to own and OVP is one of them!
if you owned it we would have threads like this running. car would be all done showroom condition and for all to see :getmecoat: OVP is not a club car its someones run around, i feel that this is now a sore point, OVP should be forgotten and the whole section removed from the boards. :mad:

Robson Rover Repair
14th May 2014, 18:01
[QUOTE=seancar;1674621]if you owned it we would have threads like this running. car would be all done showroom condition and for all to see :getmecoat: OVP is not a club car its someones run around, i feel that this is now a sore point, OVP should be forgotten and the whole section removed from the boards. :mad:[/QUOT

Have to admit I agree here

Scouse1958
15th May 2014, 21:06
I have just got a Dealers Launch Car which at the moment looks in a very bad
way at the moment but with Seans help i hope to have most of it done in months if that and i am not working but i have a lot of respect for the car and want to see it done. Seems OVP is different as someone said its someones everyday car there has even been offers to spray it for the cost of the paint. Maybe the owner should let people know why its taked so long when a lot of people have offered to get it done long time ago.

Paul