PDA

View Full Version : Metal clutch slave cylinders - Not long to wait... finally!

DMGRS
15th November 2013, 18:28
Hello guys,
Just a quick one for you manual drivers - I've had confirmation that a metal slave cylinder WILL be available shortly, and I'll be stocking them.

I hope you're all as excited as I am...!

Moodster020
15th November 2013, 18:31
Hello guys,
Just a quick one for you manual drivers - I've had confirmation that a metal slave cylinder WILL be available shortly, and I'll be stocking them.

Oooh goody! :D:D

I was hoping mine will last till one becomes available, looks like i hedged my bets just right!

DMGRS
15th November 2013, 18:33
Indeed, I'm actually really excited. I think I may have to test one in a ZT190...!

Jim W
15th November 2013, 18:39
Just changed my clutch as well as master and slave last month but used the metal freelander slave :)

DMGRS
15th November 2013, 18:41
Just changed my clutch as well as master and slave last month but used the metal freelander slave :)

This is different to the Freelander slave - the housing of this is entirely metal. No plastic parts are used at all, rather than just the metal pipes.

The Freelander slave (as long as it's a decent brand) will likely give you many years of reliable service. :)

lovema75
15th November 2013, 19:02
This looks like a tremendous advance - we will watch with interest!:)

DAS68
15th November 2013, 20:14
Hello guys,

Thank The Lord!!!

gazza190
15th November 2013, 20:21
This is different to the Freelander slave - the housing of this is entirely metal. No plastic parts are used at all, rather than just the metal pipes.

The Freelander slave (as long as it's a decent brand) will likely give you many years of reliable service. :)

Superb work mate. I know my uncle is in imminent need of a clutch and slave. Fitted new tazu master cylinder for him a few weeks back but biting point on the floor again.

I will also be wanting one for garage for when my clutch wears out.

So 2 customers here. Any idea on an eta. My uncle needs his asap.. hiis a 1.8 turbo and my car is a 190

mark d3
15th November 2013, 20:52
having owned my 75 for a long time and after putting 3 slaves in her this is excellent news

DMGRS
15th November 2013, 20:52
This looks like a tremendous advance - we will watch with interest!:)
Thank you - as will I! :)
As soon as I know more, you will do too.

Thank The Lord!!!
You and me both :D

Superb work mate. I know my uncle is in imminent need of a clutch and slave. Fitted new tazu master cylinder for him a few weeks back but biting point on the floor again.

I will also be wanting one for garage for when my clutch wears out.

So 2 customers here. Any idea on an eta. My uncle needs his asap.. hiis a 1.8 turbo and my car is a 190
I'd be inclined to change the 1.8T before these arrive - it'll likely be a good few weeks away yet.
I've got a 100% success rate with the Borg kits I have, and I've (finally) got a kit for the 1.8T in stock:
http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/clutch-transmission-parts/products/rover-75-v6-2-5-mg-zt-v6-2-5-clutch-kit-with-slave-3pc-rp1068-uub100193

DMGRS
15th November 2013, 20:53
having owned my 75 for a long time and after putting 3 slaves in her this is excellent news

I agree - half the reason I have an Auto is that I just don't have the time to change a Slave or Master cylinder these days... :)

brianw
16th November 2013, 05:38
Brilliant news!:):):)

Is this the one Tazu said was in development?

I hope not to need one yet, but with my CDT approaching 190,000 of which I have done the last 40K I feel my luck may run out soon.

The clutch situation with some slaves failing suddenly and prematurely has been my only real concern about the 75 and it must have caused many to be scrapped.

This metal slave could be a huge step towards securing the long term future of our cars.

rashi_g_h
16th November 2013, 07:32
I changed my Master and Slave not long ago.
but would like to keep one in stock for the next time ill need it :D

T-Cut
16th November 2013, 10:10

I'd guess so. There surely can't be a second company developing new parts for the 75/ZT clutch?

TC

DMGRS
16th November 2013, 10:11
Brilliant news!:):):)

I hope not to need one yet, but with my CDT approaching 190,000 of which I have done the last 40K I feel my luck may run out soon.

The clutch situation with some slaves failing suddenly and prematurely has been my only real concern about the 75 and it must have caused many to be scrapped.

This metal slave could be a huge step towards securing the long term future of our cars.
It is indeed from Tazu, and I'll be bringing them over the minute I get word they're ready. Once I have a date for them coming over, I'll be taking pre-orders so they can be shipped out as soon as they're with me.

I think it'll save a good few manual cars from getting scrapped - I've seen many in my local yard with clutch fluid dripping out from the bell housing. :(

I changed my Master and Slave not long ago.
but would like to keep one in stock for the next time ill need it :D

Always good to have ready, as I predict demand will be pretty large judging by the interest so far.
Shouldn't be long! :D

gazza190
16th November 2013, 16:17
You can put me down for the first pre order with a good quality clutch kit too.

AGAs
17th November 2013, 06:58
This sounds good news! My clutch pedal recently went to the floor. I bled it and all seems ok for now but for how long?

DMGRS
18th November 2013, 12:14
This sounds good news! My clutch pedal recently went to the floor. I bled it and all seems ok for now but for how long?

It depends on how bad the leak causing the issue is - you may be fine for months, or a few days. My tourer seemed to alternative between the two of it's own accord... :D

I'd start thinking about having the parts ready for the job. :)

Kyletrek
30th December 2013, 19:39
I know it's an old thread but is there any update on these yet as I think my slave is failing having only been in the car 4-5 months and I already have the tazu master which I think is a brilliant design

philjudo
30th December 2013, 19:55
The problem with the Tazu metal master cylinders is the pipe that's supplied with them, if there was a plastic flexy type pipe the same as the original MG Rover parts that would sort everything, with the metal pipe supplied the engine gearbox movement eventually breaks the pipe because it has no flex, I was told I'd be lucky to get a year out of the pipe.
I'm waiting to fit the Tazu metal master cylinder I've already bought but I'll wait until a pipe is sorted.

Any update on a flexible pipe????

tjz
30th December 2013, 20:01
The problem with the Tazu metal master cylinders is the pipe that's supplied with them, if there was a plastic flexy type pipe that would sort everything, with the metal pipe the engine gearbox movement eventually breaks the pipe because it has no flex, I was told I'd be lucky to get a year out of the pipe.

I'm waiting to fit the Tazu metal master cylinder I've already bought but I'll wait until a pipe is sorted.

Any update on a flexible pipe????

I'm buying one after new year's so I'm not feeling so good about it now...

Has anyone else had problems with the metal pipe?...

DMGRS
30th December 2013, 20:12
The engine doesn't move enough to actually flex the pipe - the 'spring' of the copper will more than take up any movement without permanent flexing.
I've had no reports of issues, and several have been sold to a local cab firm doing mega-miles without issue.

The twisting action of the engine is negligible, and the item is warranted including the pipework. If anything happens I'll happily replace, however I'm 100% confident this is a non-issue. :)

The only place I can see a need for a flexible pipe is where the pipework passes through the bulkhead as it's a little tight - however I've fitted a couple now and it's easy to bend the copper enough to avoid rubbing.

Kyletrek
30th December 2013, 20:13
I have used the metal pipe and seems fine to me I do remember seeing someone who did a write up on fitting the tazu master and he bought a braided hose complete with connections online cannot remember who it was though

DMGRS
30th December 2013, 20:14
I know it's an old thread but is there any update on these yet as I think my slave is failing having only been in the car 4-5 months and I already have the tazu master which I think is a brilliant design

Not yet - I'll try and get an update for you ASAP. :)
If you find you can't wait, I've had no issues with the Slave cylinders I currently sell, and there's now over 100 out there in 75s and ZTs.

Kyletrek
30th December 2013, 20:15
Thankyou it's much appreciated

shrimper 1
30th December 2013, 20:19
Hello guys,

When yoy have had a chance to try the metal slave cylinder out could yoy let me know if it makes the clutch any lighter in use, as I have a dodgy knee and am finding driveing my 75 for more than 1/2 hour very difficult, I am thinking of changeing to an auto jag xf but would rather keep my 75 as I dont like driveing autos much.
Regards John.

DMGRS
30th December 2013, 20:22
When yoy have had a chance to try the metal slave cylinder out could yoy let me know if it makes the clutch any lighter in use, as I have a dodgy knee and am finding driveing my 75 for more than 1/2 hour very difficult, I am thinking of changeing to an auto jag xf but would rather keep my 75 as I dont like driveing autos much.
Regards John.

It's the force of the clutch springs that provide the heavy feel to a clutch - the Slave will be of the same parameters to the original, so won't feel different.

I've had feedback that the 'clutch is lovely and wonderfully light' from a member regarding the Borg & Beck clutch kit - this will be same clutch I send with the metal Master cylinders too.

Roverite
31st December 2013, 12:45
The engine doesn't move enough to actually flex the pipe - the 'spring' of the copper will more than take up any movement without permanent flexing.
I've had no reports of issues, and several have been sold to a local cab firm doing mega-miles without issue.

The twisting action of the engine is negligible, and the item is warranted including the pipework. If anything happens I'll happily replace, however I'm 100% confident this is a non-issue. :)

The only place I can see a need for a flexible pipe is where the pipework passes through the bulkhead as it's a little tight - however I've fitted a couple now and it's easy to bend the copper enough to avoid rubbing.

The only comment I would make is that 'copper' pipe does harden and becomes brittle with movement. Kunifer 'alloy' is used for brake pipes, because it has the non-corrosive properties of copper and, as I understand it, it doesn't 'work harden' with small amounts of movement. Possibly, a flexi hose at the point of movement, would be an improvement; it was often used on hydraulic clutch systems, in the same way as with braking systems.

Having said all this, I still think it is a great conversion and is now on my 'to do' list, even though my clutch is OK at the moment.

Many thanks to all those involved in bringing another worthwhile 'mod' to the market.

Roverite.

DMGRS
31st December 2013, 12:48
There's been a lot of people involved with bringing it to market - we owe them many thanks for ridding us of the plastic Master cylinders. I'm merely a UK reseller to avoid the wait and get them to members as near to next-day as possible.

Copper does harden, but I honestly don't think the small amount of flex will ever be an issue in this application. The length of the run that will flex compared to the relatively tiny movement shouldn't be an issue IMO. :)

HarryM1BYT
31st December 2013, 13:42
The only comment I would make is that 'copper' pipe does harden and becomes brittle with movement. Kunifer 'alloy' is used for brake pipes, because it has the non-corrosive properties of copper and, as I understand it, it doesn't 'work harden' with small amounts of movement. Possibly, a flexi hose at the point of movement, would be an improvement; it was often used on hydraulic clutch systems, in the same way as with braking systems.

Roverite.

A common way to alloy for some movement and avoid breakage of rigid pipes and cable in industry, is to put a 'pig-tail' in the pipe. The larger and more turns, the more movement it will allow for

tjz
31st December 2013, 13:44
What's a "pig-tail"?...

sytneraudi10
31st December 2013, 13:49
Ive read nothing but good things about this so when the master becomes available I will purchase both then just need the best clutch kit itself.

DMGRS
31st December 2013, 13:50
Ive read nothing but good things about this so when the master becomes available I will purchase both then just need the best clutch kit itself.

I take it you mean slave? :D
I'll be supplying it with the Borg clutch kits - I still believe they're the best out there for our cars.

HarryM1BYT
31st December 2013, 15:57
What's a "pig-tail"?...

It a curly thing on the rear end of a pig :icon_lol:

Seriously....

If you take a pipe or cable from a fixed object into/ onto another object which has some movement, the correct way to do it would be - rather than taking the pipe direct, to put a coil in the pipe. The more turns in the coil, the more movement it will allow without it fracturing as the two ends move about in relation to each other. Not as good as a proper flexible pipe, but better than nothing.

As it uses standard brake pipe, it would be easy enough to replace the too short to put a pig tail in pipe, with a longer one assuming you had access to a brake pipe flaring tool.

philjudo
12th February 2014, 12:44
New Tazu master cylinder fitted, imagination maybe but it feels a tad lighter and a more positive feel, well recommended.
Replaced a plastic one which has lasted about 18 months from the last M/C change just hoping that the slave lasts.

DMGRS
12th February 2014, 12:52
New Tazu master cylinder fitted, imagination maybe but it feels a tad lighter and a more positive feel, well recommended.
Replaced a plastic one which has lasted about 18 months from the last M/C change just hoping that the slave lasts.

I noticed the same thing - they feel excellent don't they! :)
So glad we're moving on from the plastic items. If only it was a few years ago, I'd be a good few hundred pounds better off!

Number 6
12th February 2014, 14:07
I noticed the same thing - they feel excellent don't they! :)
So glad we're moving on from the plastic items. If only it was a few years ago, I'd be a good few hundred pounds better off!

Interesting post...........So when will the slaves be here?or have I missed it in the postings:}

DMGRS
12th February 2014, 14:20
Interesting post...........So when will the slaves be here?or have I missed it in the postings:}

I'm still waiting for those with baited breath - although to be honest, the need isn't as great as the Master cylinder - with those, LUK were the only manufacturer with no other option.

We have plenty of aftermarket Slave cylinders available - I've sold many of the Borg & Beck kits and haven't had a single one back as faulty in the whole time I've done so. Definitely a good sign... :)

peckster123
12th February 2014, 14:50
brill i pre order one with new quality clutch kit got 51 plate cdt

DMGRS
12th February 2014, 15:04
brill i pre order one with new quality clutch kit got 51 plate cdt

When they arrive, I'll be pairing them up with Borg & Beck clutches as you'd expect. If you're fitting a long-lasting part, you want a decent clutch to match. :)

peckster123
12th February 2014, 18:12
brill let us know when you have them many thanks

75Connie
12th February 2014, 21:48
Indeed, I'm actually really excited. I think I may have to test one in a ZT190...!

Ahem... perhaps you need to get out more?? :D

DMGRS
2nd April 2014, 11:59
Ahem... perhaps you need to get out more?? :D

Believe me, that's not a secret. :D

We have an update on them - we should have a major update mid April, shortly followed by the arrival of the kits themselves.

Pricing-wise we're looking at *awaiting confirmation - soon!* inc P+P.

MG Tom
2nd April 2014, 12:30
Excellent news indeed, I look forward to them arriving! :}

DMGRS
3rd April 2014, 16:55
Me too. It's been an agonising wait, but the Master was definitely the one that needed making in metal form first. :)

dattrike
20th April 2014, 18:03

Any update yet, very interested in this and the master for my Tourer :D

DMGRS
21st April 2014, 19:34
Not yet, unfortunately. As soon as they're here or I have news, I'll update the thread. :)

Robson Rover Repair
3rd June 2014, 17:09
Just ordered the clutch and slave kit off you, order #3045 will this be one of the new metal slaves?

Colin

DMGRS
4th June 2014, 18:34
Just ordered the clutch and slave kit off you, order #3045 will this be one of the new metal slaves?

Colin

Hello there, it'll be a Borg & Beck Slave, as the Metal items aren't available yet.

Mat

DMGRS
20th October 2014, 12:30
...not long now! ;)

andy willi
20th October 2014, 13:01
they are here and i have one in my car for test purpose at the moment and it is working well

andy

DMGRS
20th October 2014, 16:33
Fantastic news! I'm sure we're all looking forward to the results. :D
Finally an all metal clutch hydraulic system - a shame I've since moved to an automatic.

EastPete
2nd February 2015, 08:40
Dear Mat/ Andy

Any more news on the metal slave cylinders ??

My car still suffers from occasional noisy release bearing and clutch judder (after driving in town traffic), but I was waiting for availability of the metal slave before spending more money on my clutch.

Thanks

Pete

DMGRS
2nd February 2015, 11:40
Andy would be the best person to contact - he's still testing them as far as I know. :)

DMGRS
2nd June 2015, 23:08
Now available - see here: http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/genuine-mg-rover-75-zt-metal-slave-cylinder-uub100194t

Dave-M
14th July 2015, 18:53
Will you be fitting the metal slaves when you do clutch swaps at your workshop (or offering them as an alternative)? Got a Tazu master fitted but still need to bleed the system every few months to stop the pedal sinking so guess a new clutch is on the cards in the near future.

Thanks.

DMGRS
15th July 2015, 11:46
We can indeed if needed, for a small extra charge. :)

casamercedes
21st September 2015, 09:09
We can indeed if needed, for a small extra charge. :)

I have just bought the complete set up from Mat. Tazu MK1 master cylinder, Tazu metal CSC, HEL flexi connector, Borg and Beck pressure plate and centre plate.
I had it fitted at short notice by Greenfield Garage of Colwyn Bay on the recommendation of Jules as Mat was not able to meet my time constraints for fitting. Thanks to Jules and to Greenfield Garage for the excellent work done.
Wow what a difference !!! Clutch is now much lighter and no longer feels like an old Land Rover clutch. My car has had 2 clutches fitted prior to me buying it, 46k and 89k and in all cases the failure has been the CSC.
Great to have parts fitted that I'm hoping will now outlast my ownership.
Thanks.

DMGRS
23rd September 2015, 17:03
Excellent news - and thanks for the feedback. :)

tonytj
13th February 2019, 17:46
Hi Mat,
I have paid for a clutch kit and fitting at your garage in Southport
yesterday can you please can you check you PM,s and give me a date and time to book in to get the clutch fitted thank you
Tony

tonytj
19th February 2019, 09:57
Hi Matt
Could you tell me if my order 26401 as been posted to me or as been posted to S&S Tyres and Auto services because the car is booked in on Thursday the 21st at S&S for the clutch replacement and i have not received the clutch yet
Tony