PDA

View Full Version : First Clean

Greeners
26th February 2008, 15:36
Having had the car for a month, I finally found an hour to clean it.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/109447c43f41de653.jpg

I cracked open my Meguirs christmas set, and boy is it good stuff.......and you only need a bit too.

Next job will be to get some tar remover and Scratch-X and try and revive the paintwork....

PYTHON2674
26th February 2008, 15:45
Hi Greeners,

You mentioned Meguirs as in the cleaning product?

I purchased their wash and wax set the other week from Halfords and TBH didn't think it was that great. The wash was ok but the cream wax was hard work to remove...

Admittedly the car looked nice, but I have used easier products with the same and or better results....JMHO

Oh,

She is looking nice though so it must work!!!

Tatts
26th February 2008, 15:53
What did you use on the wheels? They look as clean as a nuns conscience! ;)

Done a good job there - looking good!

Greeners
26th February 2008, 15:53
All I did was a quick spray over with a mix of TFR and cheap car wash, hosed it down. Two bucket method using the Meguirs wash, rinsed and dried with a Towel (not sure which one). just checked, Simoniz, same as my mit which I bought in Canada

At this point no polish has been applied.....

GreyGhost
26th February 2008, 15:54
That back bumper looks good Greeners, fancy selling it. :D

Greeners
26th February 2008, 16:17
What did you use on the wheels? They look as clean as a nuns conscience! ;)

Done a good job there - looking good!

Wonder wheels DILUTED.....by about 50%...and even that's too strong. The best brush is again Meguirs big yellow cone shaped one. Expensive, but is great on Hairpins.

The wheels look good from a distance, but close up they are pretty ropey...

Greeners
26th February 2008, 16:17
That back bumper looks good Greeners, fancy selling it. :D

GG......It's not good enough for yours..........it's not perfect.....

GreyGhost
26th February 2008, 16:21
GG......It's not good enough for yours..........it's not perfect.....

That settles that then. :D

You could when funds permit get the kerbing marks taken off your wheels, they do look splendid when clean and blemish free. (Two of mine are. :( )

Greeners
26th February 2008, 16:24
That settles that then. :D

You could when funds permit get the kerbing marks taken off your wheels, they do look splendid when clean and blemish free. (Two of mine are. :( )

Five of mine are going to be refurbished, to go along with 4 new centre caps.

Just need to sell a few more bits of the blue one to fund it.....

nairda
26th February 2008, 22:04
Next job will be to get some tar remover and Scratch-X and try and revive the paintwork....

I Scratch-X'ed mine over the weekend, first time I've used it. I managed to get minor blemishes out with one pass, but I reckon the deeper marks will take further passes. Very impressed with it though.

baxlin
29th February 2008, 16:04
Scratch-X.

Is this used as well as or instead of clay, and if the former, is it before or after?

I've managed to get rid of most of the swirl marks with claying and changing the washing/drying method I use, and always using quick detailer after washing the car, so the shine is nice and deep.

But there's still a few swirl marks which I'd like to get rid of.

Malcolm

deano78
29th February 2008, 22:05
hi malcolm
clay wont get rid of swirl marks. scratch x will get rid of some of the shallower ones but you may be there till the end of time. use it after claying. as an alternative, try autoglym super resin polish which (as you may know from DW) is full of fillers and does a good job of masking swirls. Poorboys SSR polishes can also be used by hand and may be slightly more effective than scratch x. I did some paint correction on my car last week using the rotary and menz intensive polish and that took me a while!

nairda
2nd March 2008, 02:32
I cleaned my 75 the other week and my regime was;

Shampoo with Meg's Gold Class
Clay with Sonus Green and lube
Scratch-X
Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection
Wax with Collinite 915

I should've posted some pics....:banghead: