PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing clutch/dmf problem

r44flyer
1st December 2013, 19:07
Hello all,

For a while now I've found it very difficult to get a smooth gear change as the clutch has a tenancy to snatch. I can try quite hard to balance the clutch on gear change for a smooth take up but still it seems to snatch when it's fully released. It doesn't give any serious vibration other than the mythical 1800rpm one. I currently have a synergy fitted and have done for 20k+ miles.

Can anyone offer any explanation of a likely cause? My current feeling is the dmf not damping the clutch properly during gear change.

It's not causing any serious problems it's just difficult to drive smoothly and I'm wary of it's potential to cause further damage. Clutch is 30k miles old.

r44flyer
1st December 2013, 19:15
Mondeo driver told me engine mount could cause this. What do we think?

HarryM1BYT
1st December 2013, 19:28
Mondeo driver told me engine mount could cause this. What do we think?

Was he trying to sell you a Mondeo lower engine mount at the time :D

Seriously, the lower engine mount can cause judder on pulling away and possibly when on the move changing gear I would guess.

It is an easy job to check and or change it.

r44flyer
1st December 2013, 20:52
Was he trying to sell you a Mondeo lower engine mount at the time :D

Lol, no! But there is a nice symmetry there!

Number 6
1st December 2013, 21:19
Had a new clutch and slave 30k ago absolutley fine,but now starting off is fine gear change is fine but after 30, 40, 50 miles when pulling away I do get a severe shudder which happens several times and then goes and all is smooth again:shrug: any explanations??

Mike Noc
1st December 2013, 22:08
Contaminated clutch plate? :shrug:

HarryM1BYT
1st December 2013, 22:25
Had a new clutch and slave 30k ago absolutley fine,but now starting off is fine gear change is fine but after 30, 40, 50 miles when pulling away I do get a severe shudder which happens several times and then goes and all is smooth again:shrug: any explanations??

Contaminated or glazed clutch plate, which I don't know, but what I do know...

I don't make much use of the clutch when pulling away, I tend to drop it rather than slip it, then apply power when it is fully released. A matter of saving clutch wear. What I find is that I do sometimes get a bit of judder and I fix it by slipping the clutch much more, for a couple of standing starts.

It seems to fix it instantly and I have had the issue on most of the manual cars I have owned. I'm guessing the slightly harsher treatment, cleans the friction plate up(?)

Number 6
2nd December 2013, 13:56
Contaminated or glazed clutch plate, which I don't know, but what I do know...

I don't make much use of the clutch when pulling away, I tend to drop it rather than slip it, then apply power when it is fully released. A matter of saving clutch wear. What I find is that I do sometimes get a bit of judder and I fix it by slipping the clutch much more, for a couple of standing starts.

It seems to fix it instantly and I have had the issue on most of the manual cars I have owned. I'm guessing the slightly harsher treatment, cleans the friction plate up(?)

Note to myself,be a bit more harsh on the clutch:xmas-smiley-019:

AS You, I tend to keep the revs very low when starting off almost a tick over,Dont think it is contamination of the plate as there are no leaks from the bell housing and the fluid level never moves.