PDA

View Full Version : Not Feeling the Love!

drewesq
29th December 2013, 17:19
I have a good R75 auto tourer and although there isn't anything wrong with it, I think I am a bit bored of it. Also it is my first diesel and I have to say I don't really enjoy driving it as much as other users seem to

It has had all faults fixed and is running well, from what I can tell, it currently has an airbag light on problem which I'll fix before the MOT a week on Monday. It is a reasonable good spec with cruise, parking sensors, projectors and auto dimming mirror. I doesn't have leather seats, but I don't mind.

I think I will sell it if anyone is interested?

I don't have any negative feelings towards the car or marque, it is just a purely personal thing, hope that makes sense and no-one is offended :)

pab
29th December 2013, 17:35
The airbag light is literally the connections under the seats, this is 99% certain. Disconnect and connect a couple of times to clear the corrosion which is caused by the dust from the seat foam.

Most diesel owners are happy with the performance they get, some say they prefer the drive and economy opposed to petrol versions.

If you want to spice up your life, get yourself a MG version, a 190 and I'm sure you will enjoy the driving experience.

drewesq
29th December 2013, 17:44
The airbag light is literally the connections under the seats, this is 99% certain. Disconnect and connect a couple of times to clear the corrosion which is caused by the dust from the seat foam.

Most diesel owners are happy with the performance they get, some say they prefer the drive and economy opposed to petrol versions.

If you want to spice up your life, get yourself a MG version, a 190 and I'm sure you will enjoy the driving experience.

I'm not basing this on the airbag light problem, yeah maybe the ZT would be the way to go. Like I said, I don't think there is anything wrong with the car or the brand, but, for me, the economy & tax of the auto isn't worth it, and I don't want a manual.

I think I would rather have a petrol car and take the hit on the slightly higher fuel bills. My favorite car was my old BMW E30 2 door saloon, I used to love that little thing! I have always wanted an old XJ, but never had the balls to buy one!

grivas
29th December 2013, 17:51
Listen life is too short to not do the things that make you happy, we all understand, you must do the thing that makes you happy, we all must, go with your instinct, want a Jag, you go ahead and get one, what ever you decide, we are pleased for you, Happy New Year:xmas-smiley-035:

whitevanman
29th December 2013, 17:55
Having had both a CDT & 2.5 V6 in almost exactly the same spec for 2 yrs I think I know how you feel. The V6 was nicer, however for me the less frequent visits to the petrol station and the fact that if 'just' cruising along there's almost no difference err me towards the diesel.

It's when you want to go a bit that you notice it, I also notice the extra weight up front of the diesel, though that may just be down to tyres but it does feel less sharp on turn in which is usually down to weight..

A 160 remap is on the cards for me though as well as a 75 tourer, diesel of course which will also be mapped. :)

Keep the 75, buy the XJSport that's on here £750..See if you like it, then lose one or t'other..

drewesq
29th December 2013, 19:33
Having had both a CDT & 2.5 V6 in almost exactly the same spec for 2 yrs I think I know how you feel. The V6 was nicer, however for me the less frequent visits to the petrol station and the fact that if 'just' cruising along there's almost no difference err me towards the diesel.

It's when you want to go a bit that you notice it, I also notice the extra weight up front of the diesel, though that may just be down to tyres but it does feel less sharp on turn in which is usually down to weight..

A 160 remap is on the cards for me though as well as a 75 tourer, diesel of course which will also be mapped. :)

Keep the 75, buy the XJSport that's on here £750..See if you like it, then lose one or t'other..

I'm not sure I could afford both, although that does sound like a sensible solution!

I have considered the 160 remap and maybe if I got it done I'll like it more. You are 100% right about feeling the weight of the diesel lump up front when cornering and I agree about when it is cruising - I probably haven't been in a car that was nicer on the motorway.

The MOT might throw something up that I hadn't considered and might just make the drive a little more enjoyable

Maybe a member on here is in the market for a diesel auto tourer with cruise....

Heddy
29th December 2013, 19:46
Pop down to Exmouth and have a go in a diesel 160 before I sorn it, you may fall in love again :new_year:

RPWC
29th December 2013, 19:49
You've tried it, it's not for you, so time to move on, no offence taken . Hope you find the right car , best

drewesq
29th December 2013, 20:22
Pop down to Exmouth and have a go in a diesel 160 before I sorn it, you may fall in love again :new_year:

Ha, I was in Exmouth earlier, is yours a manual or auto? I'm going to take you up on that offer I think! :)

Heddy
29th December 2013, 20:37
Hi Andrew, sorry, it's a manual. You're very welcome to pop down anytime though. Car won't be sorn till end of Jan if it doesn't sell. Come down tomorrow if you're doing nothing. :xmas-smiley-035:

DMGRS
29th December 2013, 20:42
I'm in the same boat - just bought a cheap ZS diesel as a project and love how 'sporty' it feels compared to the 75. I'm not a 'boy racer' by any means, however I do love a good twisty road!

I've been out in it today, and despite needing a service, having a failing cambelt tensioner and many other niggles it was lovely to drive.

I think I'll look for a nice 190 Tourer as my next. :)

bluesprint
29th December 2013, 21:05
Hi,

Very similar story here, so I fully understand where you are coming from.

I too have a 75 auto diesel tourer, a beautiful car, typhoon blue monogram paint, which is sometimes green, sometimes blue... sometimes purple, but always a stunning colour and always draws comments.

I bought mine about 5 years ago because i needed an estate, I looked at all sorts of cheap and cheerful estate cars at the time, then I stumbled across the 75 range and was hooked.Settled on a fully loaded connoisseur se.... all the toys ....

easy 40 - 45 mpg without trying, 50+ mpg when I try...

sooooo comfortable.... practical.... dogs, bikes, fishing gear, kayaks... you name it, it has carried it, without fuss.....

So, whats the problem? Well, maybe, just maybe, sometimes the grass is greener on the other side? sometimes maybe just fancy something a bit different? ....

I am very fortunate in that I also have a Jaguar Sovereign....a 95 model (proper Jag!!) which I absolutely adore, wanted one since I was a kid, old enough now to get one. BUT..... 20 - 24 mpg on a good day..... dont ask about the bad days!!!.... I simply cannot do my 160 mile round trip several times a week at those rates.... hence the 75 diesel.

But heres the rub..... increasingly I find myself being drawn to the 75... even on the days when I could use the Jag... I find I usually opt for the 75. .... especially lately..... heated seats....mmmmm!! all the toys that the Jag has.... and a few more.... did I mention heated seats!!!

I have tried to convince myself that what I really need is a Jag estate... but the 75 is a much better car (than the X type).... but I do soooo fancy a 3.0 X type AWD estate... nothing rational at all...just fancy one!

Then I sit down, calm down and remember what is so good about the 75. Bottom line is, I bought my Jag with my heart, the 75 was a sensible choice , bought with my head, which has slowly grown on me.
Last time I felt a bit restless i spent the day giving the 75 a really good clean, wax and polish, inside and out....and all was well again!

But, as somebody else above stated, we only live once...enjoy it whille you can.... if you fancy a Jag....go for it...just don't spend a fortune on it and if you get bored... not too much lost. As for the 75.... why would you want to sell such a beautiful, practical car...???

Sorry for the rambling reply.Theres no right or wrong answer and only you will know what to do..... but you know the 75 makes sense!!!

scorpio stu
29th December 2013, 21:49
I'm in the market for a diesel saloon or tourer and would be interested in a deal with my ztt 2.5 v6 monogram typhoon auto ?

drewesq
30th December 2013, 05:02
Hi,

I too have a 75 auto diesel tourer, a beautiful car, typhoon blue monogram paint, which is sometimes green, sometimes blue... sometimes purple, but always a stunning colour and always draws comments.

I bought mine about 5 years ago because i needed an estate, I looked at all sorts of cheap and cheerful estate cars at the time, then I stumbled across the 75 range and was hooked.Settled on a fully loaded connoisseur se.... all the toys ....

sooooo comfortable.... practical.... dogs, bikes, fishing gear, kayaks... you name it, it has carried it, without fuss.....

So, whats the problem? Well, maybe, just maybe, sometimes the grass is greener on the other side? sometimes maybe just fancy something a bit different? ....

I am very fortunate in that I also have a Jaguar Sovereign....a 95 model (proper Jag!!) which I absolutely adore, wanted one since I was a kid, old enough now to get one. BUT..... 20 - 24 mpg on a good day..... dont ask about the bad days!!!.... I simply cannot do my 160 mile round trip several times a week at those rates.... hence the 75 diesel.

But heres the rub..... increasingly I find myself being drawn to the 75... even on the days when I could use the Jag... I find I usually opt for the 75. .... especially lately..... heated seats....mmmmm!! all the toys that the Jag has.... and a few more.... did I mention heated seats!!!

I have tried to convince myself that what I really need is a Jag estate... but the 75 is a much better car (than the X type).... but I do soooo fancy a 3.0 X type AWD estate... nothing rational at all...just fancy one!

Then I sit down, calm down and remember what is so good about the 75. Bottom line is, I bought my Jag with my heart, the 75 was a sensible choice , bought with my head, which has slowly grown on me.
Last time I felt a bit restless i spent the day giving the 75 a really good clean, wax and polish, inside and out....and all was well again!

But, as somebody else above stated, we only live once...enjoy it whille you can.... if you fancy a Jag....go for it...just don't spend a fortune on it and if you get bored... not too much lost. As for the 75.... why would you want to sell such a beautiful, practical car...???

Sorry for the rambling reply.Theres no right or wrong answer and only you will know what to do..... but you know the 75 makes sense!!!

All that you say makes sense. I have read on here numerous times how members have shopped in their 75 and then regretted it massively. I will put bluey through the MOT and see what is what. It may be that there is a bush or bearing that needs replacing or maybe that the suspension needs work and once it is done I might notice a difference. I can't justify running 2 cars, as much as I would like to and from what you say about the mpg on your Jag it is a lot worse that I thought, I expected 30 average. I suspect a 190 wouldn't be much better either - it is clear then that I do care more about MPG that I first thought. A nice X-type estate (petrol) might be a good compromise, but you say the 75 is the better car?

I'm in the same boat - just bought a cheap ZS diesel as a project and love how 'sporty' it feels compared to the 75. I'm not a 'boy racer' by any means, however I do love a good twisty road!

I've been out in it today, and despite needing a service, having a failing cambelt tensioner and many other niggles it was lovely to drive.

I think I'll look for a nice 190 Tourer as my next. :)

I had a 1.6 ZS that i loved driving, so much fun! Problem was though that it rattled all the time and it drove me mad in the end! The 75 is better but not perfect!

dons1983
30th December 2013, 08:15
I've done it twice. Chopped in two 75s at different times. The first time for an X type and the second for a passat. The X type was nice but passat was dull. My point is each time I regretted selling the 75 and here I am on my third one! If I'd have kept my last 75 and not brought my vw I would be in the same position that I am in now but having not lost 2.5 grand on a passat.

windrush
30th December 2013, 08:49
Well all I can say is I love my diesel I have had her now for all most 10years from new and I wont be swopping her for anything
:new_year:

drewesq
30th December 2013, 09:44
I'm going to drive a 160 remapped CDTi tonight to see if I like it better. I have to say that driving into work today (on the outskirts of Dartmoor) with high winds and driving rain the old girl was pretty solid even through some patches of deep standing water.

I am going to reserve further judgement until after the MOT next week and sampling a 160 remap later today :xmas-smiley-007:

bluesprint
30th December 2013, 12:07
I'm going to drive a 160 remapped CDTi tonight to see if I like it better. I have to say that driving into work today (on the outskirts of Dartmoor) with high winds and driving rain the old girl was pretty solid even through some patches of deep standing water.

I am going to reserve further judgement until after the MOT next week and sampling a 160 remap later today :xmas-smiley-007:

Let us know what you think of the 160 remap.... thats what i fancy next!

Sometimes its driving in conditions as you describe that you really do appreciate the bulk of the 75 ! A couple of years ago I nearly got caught out in North Wales, sudden blizzard, on road over to Bala, a lot of snow in no time at all, then strong winds and drfiting snow......not good. We were the only car out there... decided to turn around, but couldn't because of the snow, had to drive on until the next junction. I had a slide on a bend, and believe me i was driving very carefully in the conditions, not much more than walking pace, but still slid into the bank of snow at the edge of the road.... no damage done, cushioned by the snow.... snow setting on auto box helped us home safe and sound. I think many smaller, lesser cars wouldn't have fared so well..... really appreciated the 75 that day!!

As for the Jag... 75 better the X type? .... maybe I am just biased... but the 75 has more room, bigger cargo space... ski hatch in rear seats.. handy for fishing rods and kayak paddles!!... speaking to my friendly Jag mechanic recently I mentioned I was considering an X type... he was less than complimentary about the diesels... kept him busy, but usually silly electrical problems..... if you want one he said, get the 3.0 litre petrol... brilliant engine.... I suggested a 3.0 with LPG.... he wasnt convinced by the LPG...

As a final note, just been to the local supermarket, horrendous driving rain and wind, walking back across the car park and looking around the other cars.... the usual collection of euro boxes, Japanese hatches..... Korean and whatever else models of various shapes and sizes.... but all managing to look the same!!! Pride of place....the 75 .... different.... elegant.... refined.... comfortable.... and safe!!

I am convinced again, I am keeping mine... might still look for a nice 3.0 litre Jag though....:xmas-smiley-018:

drewesq
30th December 2013, 12:39
As a final note, just been to the local supermarket, horrendous driving rain and wind, walking back across the car park and looking around the other cars.... the usual collection of euro boxes, Japanese hatches..... Korean and whatever else models of various shapes and sizes.... but all managing to look the same!!! Pride of place....the 75 .... different.... elegant.... refined.... comfortable.... and safe!!

I totally agree with what you're saying here and it goes the same for the interior for me too, most cars I look at on autotrader or ebay within my price range I just think "they're no way a better car than the 75"

I'll post back tonight after driving the 160! :)

bluesprint
30th December 2013, 14:04
I totally agree with what you're saying here and it goes the same for the interior for me too, most cars I look at on autotrader or ebay within my price range I just think "they're no way a better car than the 75"

I'll post back tonight after driving the 160! :)

Think you have just hit the nail square on the head..... there isn't anything out there that comes anywhere near for the spec, comfort, style etc etc.

If you break it down into a logical process first,
1. Why do need a car?
2. What will you use the car for?
3. What sort of driving do you usually do? City/ motorways/ cross country/ short trips?
4. What type of car do you need? Saloon / hatch/ estate
5. How many passengers will you need to carry?
6. How often will you use the car?

The list goes on....
For me.... the 75 tourer absolutely ticks all the boxes and is the most sensible, practical choice.....

but we don't always buy cars just on logic, there needs to be a certain something, a charm, a presence, character? and especially nowadays.... cost...purchase price and on going running costs..... 75 still wins!!

James.uk
30th December 2013, 16:19
Tis a strange thread this innit... The OP isn't impressed by his cars overall performance... Erm... but his car is a diesel estate car!! :shrug: So what made you buy something so unsuitable in the first place?

Bit like buying a Shire horse then taking it to a point to point and wondering why it doesn't do well innit.... :icon_redface:

I drive a 75 diesel (160) auto, And have no complaints whatsoever, it fair shifts when I ask it too, and it cruises very nicely if I feel like saving a few pence, and have all day to waste.. ;) :Snow:

I don't get emotional about any vehicle, but for what I want to do, and at a price I can afford, There simply isn't a better car available... :) :Snow:

simon hubbard
30th December 2013, 17:24

I would be interested to hear yor views on this drive too

drewesq
30th December 2013, 19:40
Cheers Les, driving yours was definitely an eye opener!! Just sorry I drove like your mum!!

On a manual this remap is worlds ahead of my auto, much much quicker to pick up revs. I think it sounds better too. Question is, how will make a difference to my auto?!

1 think I am chuffed about is Les was very complimentary about mine and I must admit I felt a bit of pride in the work I have done on mine!

I have also, this morning, found the rattle that has been bugging me for ages... and it came from the window switch pack in the door, unplugged and no more rattle, just have to figure out how to fix it!!

Tonight has made me realise I need to get the MOT done and then, if funds allow, get the remap, maybe a fair assessment can be made then!

Thanks to all for your points of view, and to Les, it defo has helped

:xmas-smiley-007:

Heddy
30th December 2013, 20:12
Hiya, the remap on an auto should give the same results really, the T4 guru's would best explain the difference, if any. I can't get bored with the car, it runs fine and has enough grunt to keep me interested. Your auto was quieter than I expected, smooth changing and overall, a good ride, just needs to be a little quicker:D :new_year:

mystabe
31st December 2013, 15:36
I bought a CDTi auto tourer about 5 weeks ago and to be honest the only slight issue I have with it is the tendancy to understeer a bit compared to the company Passat it replaced - BUT it's actually a much nicer car, it felt a bit slow at first in comparison however that's mostly due to how quiet it is, it's actually much quicker than it feels (to be fair it IS slightly ponderous but I'm hoping the 160 remap in the next couple of weeks will sort that out :) ) but apart from that........ I looked at all kinds of estates and absolutely nothing came close for £2500-3500 and reliable auto diesel estates in that price bracket are apparently quite rare, so I bought it and no real regrets so far :)

peter1961
31st December 2013, 16:16
Hi,

Well all I can say is I love my diesel I have had her now for all most 10years from new and I wont be swopping her for anything
:new_year:

Let us know what you think of the 160 remap.... thats what i fancy next!

Sometimes its driving in conditions as you describe that you really do appreciate the bulk of the 75 ! A couple of years ago I nearly got caught out in North Wales, sudden blizzard, on road over to Bala, a lot of snow in no time at all, then strong winds and drfiting snow......not good. We were the only car out there... decided to turn around, but couldn't because of the snow, had to drive on until the next junction. I had a slide on a bend, and believe me i was driving very carefully in the conditions, not much more than walking pace, but still slid into the bank of snow at the edge of the road.... no damage done, cushioned by the snow.... snow setting on auto box helped us home safe and sound. I think many smaller, lesser cars wouldn't have fared so well..... really appreciated the 75 that day!!

As for the Jag... 75 better the X type? .... maybe I am just biased... but the 75 has more room, bigger cargo space... ski hatch in rear seats.. handy for fishing rods and kayak paddles!!... speaking to my friendly Jag mechanic recently I mentioned I was considering an X type... he was less than complimentary about the diesels... kept him busy, but usually silly electrical problems..... if you want one he said, get the 3.0 litre petrol... brilliant engine.... I suggested a 3.0 with LPG.... he wasnt convinced by the LPG...

I am convinced again, I am keeping mine... might still look for a nice 3.0 litre Jag though....:xmas-smiley-018:

Think you have just hit the nail square on the head..... there isn't anything out there that comes anywhere near for the spec, comfort, style etc etc.

If you break it down into a logical process first,
1. Why do need a car?
2. What will you use the car for?
3. What sort of driving do you usually do? City/ motorways/ cross country/ short trips?
4. What type of car do you need? Saloon / hatch/ estate
5. How many passengers will you need to carry?
6. How often will you use the car?

The list goes on....
For me.... the 75 tourer absolutely ticks all the boxes and is the most sensible, practical choice.....

but we don't always buy cars just on logic, there needs to be a certain something, a charm, a presence, character? and especially nowadays.... cost...purchase price and on going running costs..... 75 still wins!!

Tis a strange thread this innit... The OP isn't impressed by his cars overall performance... Erm... but his car is a diesel estate car!! :shrug: So what made you buy something so unsuitable in the first place?

Bit like buying a Shire horse then taking it to a point to point and wondering why it doesn't do well innit.... :icon_redface:

I drive a 75 diesel (160) auto, And have no complaints whatsoever, it fair shifts when I ask it too, and it cruises very nicely if I feel like saving a few pence, and have all day to waste.. ;) :Snow:

I don't get emotional about any vehicle, but for what I want to do, and at a price I can afford, There simply isn't a better car available... :) :Snow:

nothing to add, this says it all :xmas-smiley-008:

drewesq
31st December 2013, 18:12
thanks for the summary! :new_year:

drewesq
8th January 2014, 04:46
Following the MOT success (no advisories) I decided to lavish some attention on Bluey in an attempt to regain some interest... First up I am trying to get hold of PhilT4 to get the 160 remap. I have some new cree reversing bulbs to fit. I think I will also get a full valet done.

Again I want to say how genuinely impressed I have been with Bluey with all the recent bad weather, it just eats it up! :)