PDA

View Full Version : Decent Mopping Kit?

The_Monk
3rd March 2008, 12:09
My sisters boyfriend has used a mop to remove a fair few scratches out of the car. When he has done the car it looks superb!! Ebay have a fair few up and they seem pretty cheap, this one for example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Body-Polisher-Mop-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ250150972820QQihZ015QQcategoryZ30923Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQ cmdZViewItem

is it any good? Or will it fall apart after a month, or worse kill my paint work. With regards to using it, I could probably get a few lessons off my sisters boyfriend. A few opinions on the kit though would be handy, always nice to be able to remove those annoying scratches that appear from no where!

Thanks

Tatts
3rd March 2008, 17:13
That doesn't look too bad, especially for the price.

However, my reservation is; it's not dual action, so in the hands of a novice you stand a chance of burning the paint.

The_Monk
3rd March 2008, 17:44
What does dual action mean?

CDTi
3rd March 2008, 17:54
What does dual action mean?Its a polisher whose head moves in 2 orbits. Porter cable is the most common and meant to be the best: e.g. http://www.autogeek.net/po.html

windrush
3rd March 2008, 20:26
I have seen the effects of these polisher after being miss used burnt and very dull paint

Tatts
3rd March 2008, 20:32
What CDTI said - it spins - as you'd expect it to & also moves in other directions, so it harder to burn the paint.

I've got the Meguiars polisher, it's advantage over the PC is there's no 240 - 110v transformer to lug about, and it's cheaper!

The_Monk
3rd March 2008, 21:07
Thanks chaps! Might invest after Easter for the summer! Still too cold at the moment :D See if I can get a practice on my sisters boyfriends equipment in the mean time.

nairda
3rd March 2008, 21:33
Thanks chaps! Might invest after Easter for the summer! Still too cold at the moment :D See if I can get a practice on my sisters boyfriends equipment in the mean time.

Ooooh, matron!

black olive
4th March 2008, 13:04
It looks too much like an angle grinder to me- I wouldnt put it anywhere near my paintwork- although I strongly suspect the bodyshop did when they attempted to repair black olive- I think they left and angle grinder disc on too judging by the paint finish

Greeners
4th March 2008, 14:32
Have a look on detailingworld.com.......there's a wealth of information on there.

The Megs G220 looks like a useful bit of kit but it's £150, that's a lot of polishing