PDA

View Full Version : New member, new car, new problems, HELP!

karlsdad
28th January 2014, 07:31
Can anyone offer me any advice on my 75 Tourer? Brake pedal going boing!at low speed on braking! No ABS light?
How to change the cupholder/cigar lighter unit as mine jammed shut!
Those and a few other niggles!

Yella Fella
28th January 2014, 08:02
If you want advice you need to be more specific i.e. clutch on a diesel, V6, V8, K Series?

karlsdad
28th January 2014, 08:42
Hi, soz about that, my car is a 2001 CDTI Tourer, Its the brake pedal that is bouncing giving a metalic spring sound and acting as if its the ABS at fault, yet no warning lights, does not seem to do it at higher speed, i suspect rear wheel bearings, ie not picking up a correct signal for the sensor, could this be the culprit?

The another problem is both the cupholder and cigar lighter flaps are jammed shut, i would think i will need to get the whole lower unit out to either fix or replace, any ideas on that one?

Still more! the clutch was replaced by dare i say it Mr Clutch, and is quite heavy, so much so that my partner who is suffering from ME finds driving in traffic so very tiring, are they normally a heavy pedal?

And more! Upon start up! the engine fires readily, with no grumble or smoke but is somewhat noisy top end until up to operating temperature when she purrs lovely, it has done 217k so i guess i can forgive her for that, she has a very comprehensive service history, i guess its just wear and tear!

Just a few more osr door solenoid is not working at all, i guess just a replacement?

Window switch on drivers door is dodgy, drivers is a bit loose the spring in it seems to have broken, so an ebay fix, plus neither door mirror motors work but heaters do.

Other than that its a great car and its growing on me every day i drive it. and am i normal in that i have just to have a look back at her in admiration whenever i park it?

I have done a few price costs and to put things right will not cost the earth, just niggles on a high mileage car to be expected.

wuzerk
28th January 2014, 13:45
Hi, soz about that, my car is a 2001 CDTI Tourer, Its the brake pedal that is bouncing giving a metalic spring sound and acting as if its the ABS at fault, yet no warning lights, does not seem to do it at higher speed, i suspect rear wheel bearings, ie not picking up a correct signal for the sensor, could this be the culprit?

The another problem is both the cupholder and cigar lighter flaps are jammed shut, i would think i will need to get the whole lower unit out to either fix or replace, any ideas on that one?

Still more! the clutch was replaced by dare i say it Mr Clutch, and is quite heavy, so much so that my partner who is suffering from ME finds driving in traffic so very tiring, are they normally a heavy pedal?

And more! Upon start up! the engine fires readily, with no grumble or smoke but is somewhat noisy top end until up to operating temperature when she purrs lovely, it has done 217k so i guess i can forgive her for that, she has a very comprehensive service history, i guess its just wear and tear!

Just a few more osr door solenoid is not working at all, i guess just a replacement?

Window switch on drivers door is dodgy, drivers is a bit loose the spring in it seems to have broken, so an ebay fix, plus neither door mirror motors work but heaters do.

Other than that its a great car and its growing on me every day i drive it. and am i normal in that i have just to have a look back at her in admiration whenever i park it?

I have done a few price costs and to put things right will not cost the earth, just niggles on a high mileage car to be expected.

If a wheel sensor or cable was faulty then the ABS warning would come on
(check that it does illuminate when you first switch on because it is not unknown for previous owners to disable a warning lamp to hide a fault)

The diesel is an extremely long lived engine so you should have no worries there but you should clean or renew the filter in the PCV unit if you haven't already done so. Most problems with the door mirrors not working can be traced to the switch which can be cleaned. Prise the assembly up, disconnect the connector and then carefully take the assembly apart.

planenut
28th January 2014, 13:54
Definitely look for someone's "work round" on each ABS sensor. Second that comment on opening the door arm switch and clean the contacts, worked a treat for mine leaving everything working.

Supervinnie40
28th January 2014, 14:48

If you remove the console eyebrow, the radio and the AC unit (it is much easier then it sounds), you can get to the lower part of that unit.
When you remove the AC unit you can slide your hand inside the console at both sides of the unit. About 1 cm from the top on each side, there's a little clip you can press. If you press both of them, the whole unit just slides out. Unplug the cigaret lighter and the buttons on the small piece above it, and you can just take it out.

Just a little tip, don't start spraying WD40 inside the cupholder, WD40 doesn't make plastic slide much easier. If you really need to lubricate something your better of with some proper grease (I used high-performance silicone grease). Having said that, it shouldn't need much lubricant at all.

karlsdad
28th January 2014, 15:12
The brake pedal bouncing and spring noise, could it be the rear bearings? i have read somewhere that they give trouble? i guess that for most of the niggles i will have to wait for some warmer weather, as i,m a tad disabled i can,t work out there too long, once again thanks for the info.

pcv? what and where, these abbreviations lose me!

vitesse
28th January 2014, 16:01
these abbreviations lose me!

And me too, had to look up your "soz" !

Regards

planenut
28th January 2014, 17:16
Are you sure the cup holder and lighter are there or are blanks fitted?

bl52krz
28th January 2014, 22:27
How are you trying to open the cup holder? You need to just push it in a bit and it should spring open.

wuzerk
29th January 2014, 07:53
The brake pedal bouncing and spring noise, could it be the rear bearings? i have read somewhere that they give trouble? i guess that for most of the niggles i will have to wait for some warmer weather, as i,m a tad disabled i can,t work out there too long, once again thanks for the info.

pcv? what and where, these abbreviations lose me!
The PCV unit is the Crankcase Pressure Control Valve and is situated behind the injectors. If the filter inside it is too blocked up then the pressure can cause oil to issue from the dip stick pipe and various other oil seals. You can clean or replace the filter or you can buy the latest BMW type which does not have a filter at all. NOTE: originally we all thought that this new type never needed to be replaced but it now seems that it should be changed at each 30,000 miles.

Mike Noc
29th January 2014, 08:20
Positive Crankcase Ventilation. ;)

It does what it says on the tin - prevents over-pressure in the crankcase. The valve is designed to let excess pressure escape but close so that you don't end up with below ambient pressure in the crankcase.

Gone are the days when you could vent the crankcase direct to atmosphere due to the emissions involved.

With a diesel, unlike a petrol engine, there is no throttling of the inlet air so not much in the way of a partial vacuum to be had in the inlet manifold.

Quite the opposite as the turbocharger puts a positive pressure in the manifold when it is spooled up. So the PCV valve outlet is connected to the inlet side of the turbocharger.