PDA

View Full Version : advice please

pjk1967
28th January 2014, 12:38
hi all; had the zt190 a week and loving it; tomorrow i am going to change the oil and filter which is simple enough; i also want to drain and refill the cooling system with the correct mix of antifreeze; is there any precautions or bleed valves on the cooling system i should be aware off; car is the 2.5v6 engine; many thanks in advance

trikey
28th January 2014, 12:58
hi all; had the zt190 a week and loving it; tomorrow i am going to change the oil and filter which is simple enough; i also want to drain and refill the cooling system with the correct mix of antifreeze; is there any precautions or bleed valves on the cooling system i should be aware off; car is the 2.5v6 engine; many thanks in advance

Use blue anti freeze! Get rid of the orange OAT stuff!

Bleed valve in hose underneath the airbox

coab
28th January 2014, 13:02
I use the red stuff for anti freeze.;)

SD1too
28th January 2014, 22:06
... i also want to drain and refill the cooling system with the correct mix of antifreeze; is there any precautions or bleed valves on the cooling system i should be aware of ..
Pat,

Here (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1547805&postcount=15) is the official MG Rover procedure. If you follow it exactly you'll be fine. Be sure to drain the cylinder block as well as removing the bottom radiator hose. The cylinder block plug is on the left hand bank near the exhaust manifold; easily seen from below. If you miss bits out because you're feeling lazy you'll probably end up with an air lock. When the expansion tank is empty, acquaint yourself with the 'max' level marker inside.

Simon

crofts
29th January 2014, 03:45
trikey says use the blue anti freeze as the red (OAT) has been reported as affecting seals.
Another suggestion is to use the red but reduce the strength. This is on the basis that 50% red protects down to something like 35 degrees,or more, which is unnecessary in our climate.
Apart from the above it is necessary to change the blue every 2 years instead of 4 years for the red OAT.
Best price for quality OAT-Vauxhall dealers

SD1too
29th January 2014, 07:18
trikey says use the blue anti freeze as the red (OAT) has been reported as affecting seals.
Here are the facts on this.

There's a photograph of a grossly deformed seal from (I believe) the thermostat housing of a diesel. It's an assumption that OAT is responsible; no proof.

The KV6 cooling system 'O' rings are susceptible to leakage. The cause is not known; it could be any number of things (for example heat conduction from the engine block). They shrink, but they don't disintegrate. There is no proof that OAT has anything to do with it.

Reducing the concentration of OAT was suggested as a long term trial, but since there are so many variables between cars it will be difficult to reach a sound conclusion.

The only difference between the blue and OAT formulations is the anti-corrosion additives. It's said that they're incompatible, so the system should be flushed if changing type.

Simon

bl52krz
29th January 2014, 11:54
Another point to consider when using OAT antifreeze in reduced concentration, is the factor of reduced anti corrosion additives.

MrDoodles
29th January 2014, 12:01
Have to admit that after speaking to a couple of Traders on here, that Ed now has Blue coolant in his cooling system! :}