PDA

View Full Version : Auto box diesel

Alan123
28th January 2014, 13:51
Hi all can any one tell me if thers a switch to do with auto box mounted by the brake pedal

SD1too
28th January 2014, 22:12
No.
Edit: Whoops .. please see the correction later in this thread. There was more to this than first meets the eye.

Simon

crofts
29th January 2014, 03:33
To my mind there is a switch above the brake pedal that disconnects drive as soon as pedal is depressed.
As far as I know it clps in and can dislodge from the clip. I believe it is easy to clip it back in.

SD1too
29th January 2014, 07:40
To my mind there is a switch above the brake pedal ..
The MG Rover wiring diagram shows a switch for both petrol and diesel engines between the brake pedal and the automatic transmission ECU. The wiring is labelled 'cruise' on the petrol diagram but not on the diesel diagram.
... that disconnects drive as soon as pedal is depressed.
This is not quite correct. MG Rover says that the brake switch on diesel cars is to limit fuelling during braking and to inhibit/cancel cruise control when the brakes are applied. It says that diesel cars with automatic transmission have a "fuel reduction strategy" which selects neutral only when all of these conditions are met:

Engine at idle
'D' selected
Foot brake applied

I have only recently discovered this little gem, so if the engine speed falls to idle whilst braking from speed, you do indeed lose drive. How bizarre.

Simon

Busboy
4th March 2015, 20:48
Thank`s a lot Simon, Yes It does seem most Bizarre, so at least my CDTi is doing what it is supposed to!!