PDA

View Full Version : knobs.

RogerHeinz57
28th January 2014, 22:03
Hello folks, can anybody advise me on how to remove the gear knob from my 75. The existing one has the top bezel fractured, this is not only unsightly but also uncomfortable to use. Any help with this would be great. Thanks.:bowdown:

carguy143
28th January 2014, 22:20
Hi John.
I take it you're on about a manual knob.

I find twisting it slightly side to side whilst pulling upwards helps. It'll be a tight fit but will come off eventually.

Rik.

HarryM1BYT
28th January 2014, 22:30
They are very tight and come away rather suddenly, if pulling watch your teeth. Easy way is a block of wood, with a suitable slot cut in it. Place under the gear knob and tap the underside of the wood with a lump hammer.

crofts
30th January 2014, 02:25
Good tip Harry that I have not seen before.
Have however seen posts re near accidents several times over the years where pulling upwards by hand is used.

Steady-Eddie
30th January 2014, 05:15
Just done mine a couple of weeks ago after a week of trying to snatch it off by hand.

Put it into 2nd gear. Put a 12" piece of batten under it from the driver's side and give it a sharp tap with a 3lb lump hammer. Should pop off with no problem :}

marinabrian
30th January 2014, 06:37
Kneel facing backwards on the drivers seat, grasp the knob with your right hand and give a sharp upwards tug.

This way you're spared the issue of explaining your black eye to the boss ;)

Brian :D

RogerHeinz57
30th January 2014, 08:15
Hello folks, thanks to you all for the various suggestions and help on this, I tried these options at the breakers and the practice is almost mastered. I was just worried that I might break my car by man-handling this vital component and what it attaches to. Thanks to all who helped, John.:}:}

hogweed
30th January 2014, 09:46
I was just worried that I might break my car

More likely to break your teeth :eek:

SWISSTONY
30th January 2014, 12:39
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=45925&highlight=shildon

Check this unfortunate soul out....I promise we weren't laughing at him ;)

Sorry SWORKS :o