PDA

View Full Version : Master cylinder prices

coab
30th January 2014, 06:46
I have a tiny bit of oil on my left foot, Ive had it before and Im guessing its oil weeping from the master cylinder.:eek: Ive had a new clutch 18 months ago and so can anyone tell me an estimate of what the cost of a new one and fitting would be.
Need to start putting the money aside. I would want one that lasts as it looks a nasty job!:eek:

murphyv310
30th January 2014, 10:41
I have a tiny bit of oil on my left foot, Ive had it before and Im guessing its oil weeping from the master cylinder.:eek: Ive had a new clutch 18 months ago and so can anyone tell me an estimate of what the cost of a new one and fitting would be.
Need to start putting the money aside. I would want one that lasts as it looks a nasty job!:eek:

Hi.
There is ONLY ONE master that should be fitted. It's the Tazu one, it has an Alloy body not the cheap plastic body of the OEM part and many others sold as a pattern part. The Alloy one is cheaper and as far as I can tell a fit and forget part.
DMGRS is now selling them and they are just under £70.
Any master cylinder will be fiddly to fit but it is a DIY job if you feel inclined, of course your usual garage could do it too.
My pedal feels great after fitting one to my car and I did it myself in the rain and it took about an hour and a half including two tea breaks :D

MrDoodles
30th January 2014, 12:36
Can only agree, if I needed a Master cylinder, would only go for the Tazu!

MSS
30th January 2014, 12:57
Well, I have had the Luk M/C fitted to two CDT's now, both perfect in all respects after 12 months.

The original plastic ones seem to have given between 8 and 12 years of service which I would consider a good service life for a part that costs ~£100.

The Tazu has been around 12 months in general service so whilst it may be good now and indeed prove to be better than the plastic items, I feel that judgement which includes direct comparison should be reserved for another 7-11 years.

In my opinion, the Tazu is not quite a finished product yet and needs another cycle of development to replace the copper pipe with a flexi and associated correctly angled connector.

Just my 2p worth to counterbalance some of the excitement about the Tazu. Particularly as a plastic M/C installed now is most likely to outlast the car in the vast majority of cases so the question of service life will in most cases be of little practical consideration.

coab
30th January 2014, 15:35
I just want one to last for say another 4 years. Will go for the metal one as the prices are under £100.:}

DMGRS
30th January 2014, 22:39
On the flip side, I had many Master cylinders on my old 75 - didn't hold the clutch down at the lights etc either. In the end I gave up, sold the car and bought a ZS it annoyed me that much.

T-Cut
31st January 2014, 12:18
I'm working (slowly) on a modification to allow easy clutch fluid replacement at the same time as the brake fluid service. I need some OEM screw-on caps to find the best way to connect the external reservoir to the master cylinder reservoir.

Please PM me if you have one you don't need.
Many thanks.

TC