PDA

View Full Version : Satnav and cruise install

Mr_Shed
30th January 2014, 10:42
Hi. I'm thinking if upgrading my ZT with the highline satnav and cruise control. Question is how much work is involved to install these systems, I'm not afraid if getting my hands dirty but don't want end up with project that is going take weeks.
Thanks in advance.

suffolk boy
30th January 2014, 10:50
highline a days work.as it needs the loom putting in which runs from front to back under the carpet.drivers seat out back seat out lift up the carpet etc.all resonably straight forward.as for cruise have not done it but i think you change the throttle body add the actuator. the ecu and the centre console button pedal switches and thats about it.

Mr_Shed
30th January 2014, 10:52
highline a days work.as it needs the loom putting in which runs from front to back under the carpet.drivers seat out back seat out lift up the carpet etc.all resonably straight forward.as for cruise have not done it but i think you change the throttle body add the actuator. the ecu and the centre console button pedal switches and thats about it.

That doesn't found too bad then, is the highline plug and play or do you have to cut into any wiring.

suffolk boy
30th January 2014, 11:11
when the loom is in it is plug and play.the loom connects up to your cars existing wiring .you may need a iso to bmw adaptor depending on what your car has.best to have a look first b4 jumping in there also needs to be a small black plug which has the abs feed on it .this will be behind the lower center console.it still can be done without it but envolves more work.ie running a wire from the abs plug.which means taking the battery out and tray to get to it.as i say have a poke round first

Ched
30th January 2014, 11:37

The actuator bolts to the throttle body so no need to replace, you also need the vac pump and pipe,console switch, the 3 ecu's and the steering wheel controls, a pretty straight forward fit, oh and you need to swap the pedal switches around.

Mr_Shed
30th January 2014, 12:31
when the loom is in it is plug and play.the loom connects up to your cars existing wiring .you may need a iso to bmw adaptor depending on what your car has.best to have a look first b4 jumping in there also needs to be a small black plug which has the abs feed on it .this will be behind the lower center console.it still can be done without it but envolves more work.ie running a wire from the abs plug.which means taking the battery out and tray to get to it.as i say have a poke round first

Adapters shouldnt be an issue as got one to enable installation of my current Sont headunit, as for the ABS feed, is this for the satnav i presume, also i guess its behind the ashtray/cup holder area then, is it marked up as anything, what sort of size or pins does it have.

Thanks for your advise and help btw

Mr_Shed
30th January 2014, 12:33
The actuator bolts to the throttle body so no need to replace, you also need the vac pump and pipe,console switch, the 3 ecu's and the steering wheel controls, a pretty straight forward fit, oh and you need to swap the pedal switches around.

Thank you for the info, are the ecus in addition to the cars current or do you have to change any on the car. Will the wiring already be on the car or will i have to install an additional harness

Mike Noc
30th January 2014, 12:35
Hi. I'm thinking if upgrading my ZT with the highline satnav.....

If you are looking to buy the complete installation Mr Shed you might get a bargain here: ;) :D

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=169582

Mr_Shed
30th January 2014, 12:37
If you are looking to buy the complete installation Mr Shed you might get a bargain here: ;) :D

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=169582

Oddly enough your item for sale got me thinking!

Ched
30th January 2014, 13:06
Thank you for the info, are the ecus in addition to the cars current or do you have to change any on the car. Will the wiring already be on the car or will i have to install an additional harness

All the parts I've mentioned are an addition, you'll have to check and see if the loom is present to plug and play.
You can check behind the switch consul, if there are 5 plugs and one is a black one thats for the cruise switch, in the engine comp, rh inner wing there should be a connector block taped to the aircon pipe, this is for the cruise vac pump,the 3 plugs for the ecu will be under the pass footwell and this is where they sit.

suffolk boy
30th January 2014, 13:26
Adapters shouldnt be an issue as got one to enable installation of my current Sont headunit, as for the ABS feed, is this for the satnav i presume, also i guess its behind the ashtray/cup holder area then, is it marked up as anything, what sort of size or pins does it have.

Thanks for your advise and help btw
it is a small black flat plug with three wires coming out of it the plug is roughly the width of a fag paper packet.

Mr_Shed
31st January 2014, 17:10
So looks like this highline project is a go, now just got find out where it all goes and how to install it all.

suffolk boy
31st January 2014, 17:26
So looks like this highline project is a go, now just got find out where it all goes and how to install it all.
been done by a few on here.there is a thread with pictures on here somwhere by duotone if i remember correctly.i have helped put mine in the ztt so can help a bit.the one thing i will say is to connect the units to the loom and test it first b4 fitting the loom.i have had a mate of mine who put one in for it for not not to work due to wiring damage on the highline loom.so out it had to come again:mad:

Mr_Shed
31st January 2014, 17:50
Not expecting *** to be easy but then that's half the enjoyment of install and fact it's standard upgrade too. That's my plan to wire it all up and prove all works before even thinking about pulling the interior about. I presume the speakers are just standard play into the unit also.

suffolk boy
31st January 2014, 18:00
Not expecting *** to be easy but then that's half the enjoyment of install and fact it's standard upgrade too. That's my plan to wire it all up and prove all works before even thinking about pulling the interior about. I presume the speakers are just standard play into the unit also.
no need to touch the speakers these will all work when the loom is put in.

Mr_Shed
31st January 2014, 18:12
Great sounds perfect, pardon the pun lol.

So seeing as I had the Kenwood head unit previously will I have to make changes to steering wheel controls?

Thank you for your help

suffolk boy
31st January 2014, 19:11
the steering wheel controls work via a interface unit that should come with it.if not i have one plus various signal amps etc

Mr_Shed
2nd February 2014, 18:10
the steering wheel controls work via a interface unit that should come with it.if not i have one plus various signal amps etc

Ok think it comes with that.

As for radio and tv reception I believe this is via additional receivers in the rear screen, is there an alternative arial that can be used for this.

suffolk boy
2nd February 2014, 18:29
the radio conector will be on the screen allready.as for the tv some have used a loop of wire under the parcel shelf.but being analog the tv will not work anyway.if freeview is added at a later date this uses a separate aerail

Mr_Shed
2nd February 2014, 18:51
the radio conector will be on the screen allready.as for the tv some have used a loop of wire under the parcel shelf.but being analog the tv will not work anyway.if freeview is added at a later date this uses a separate aerail

Ok so radio is sorted, hopefully get the system installed and working then focus on the tv, but as a heads up what is involved with the free view option please

suffolk boy
2nd February 2014, 18:58
meg 4 freeveiw box.uses twin antennas which stick on the back window for a better signal.input lead for the box of a company called toys in you car.or if you win the lottery a bmw digital tv tuner which is plug and play

Greeners
2nd February 2014, 18:58
Have hunt around on some of my posts, it's very straight forward to fit....

I've done a hat full now and it really is plug and play.

You must get all the brackets, bolts and fixings or it's a nightmare.

My V8 is currently half installed, which will get done if it ever stops raining !!!!

Greeners
2nd February 2014, 19:02
Bit of reading for you....

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2892

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=121893

If you want to pop over...feel free to

Mr_Shed
2nd February 2014, 19:41
meg 4 freeveiw box.uses twin antennas which stick on the back window for a better signal.input lead for the box of a company called toys in you car.or if you win the lottery a bmw digital tv tuner which is plug and play

Thank you I will look into that.

Mr_Shed
2nd February 2014, 19:45
Have hunt around on some of my posts, it's very straight forward to fit....

I've done a hat full now and it really is plug and play.

You must get all the brackets, bolts and fixings or it's a nightmare.

My V8 is currently half installed, which will get done if it ever stops raining !!!!

Bit of reading for you....

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2892

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=121893

If you want to pop over...feel free to

Thank you for response, Ok bit bed time reading for me lol. Looking to collect over coming weeks, been assured by seller everything is there.

I may just take you up on your offer (be nice to see ur V8 as been watching progress) as not seen it all installed before and exact locations for affixing components.

Greeners
2nd February 2014, 19:52
Unhindered and a dry day, I did one in 5 hours.......last one I did was on a foul day under a gazebo......took about twice as long....

Mr_Shed
2nd February 2014, 20:00
Can't imagine it would be fun on a wet day, I will set aside a weekend so there isn't a rush as believe seats and carpet have to come out to install the harness.

suffolk boy
2nd February 2014, 20:05
the carpet does not need to come out just lifting up on the drivers side to get the loom in along the sill.drivers seat out to run the loom over to the centre console

Mr_Shed
2nd February 2014, 20:21
the carpet does not need to come out just lifting up on the drivers side to get the loom in along the sill.drivers seat out to run the loom over to the centre console

See I'm still learning lol, seriously is there a diagram for routing cables and the associated components.

Thanks guys for all your help and advise.

suffolk boy
2nd February 2014, 20:32
See I'm still learning lol, seriously is there a diagram for routing cables and the associated components.

Thanks guys for all your help and advise.
there well may be a diagramme .but you will not need it.when you have it connected at the front.the only plugs are for the head unit.of which thier are two.plus the main plug of course and the little abs plug.the rear is about quite straight forward.the radio module plug will only fit in that unit.same for the tv module the plugs are even colured to match the relevant socket etc.the sat nav has plugs that will only fit that etc.so do not worry the only bit i have not done is the signal amps on a saloon as they differ on my ztt.but you have greeners to help if needed.at least you will not have to what i did and drill a hole in your roof to put the sat nav antenna on:eek:

Greeners
2nd February 2014, 20:34
When I did my tourer I had to fit the fin...very scary drilling big holes in the roof

Duotone
2nd February 2014, 20:44
Some more reading for you and it describes the routing of the wiring loom.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13295&highlight=line

Dave T

Mr_Shed
2nd February 2014, 20:55
there well may be a diagramme .but you will not need it.when you have it connected at the front.the only plugs are for the head unit.of which thier are two.plus the main plug of course and the little abs plug.the rear is about quite straight forward.the radio module plug will only fit in that unit.same for the tv module the plugs are even colured to match the relevant socket etc.the sat nav has plugs that will only fit that etc.so do not worry the only bit i have not done is the signal amps on a saloon as they differ on my ztt.but you have greeners to help if needed.at least you will not have to what i did and drill a hole in your roof to put the sat nav antenna on:eek:

Ok that's reassuring then as don't want to start installing to get frustrated with it. I need to investigate the abs connection, I presume I can make up a small harness for this if it's missing.
OMG drilling holes in the roof now I'm frightened lol, can't imagine how many times I would measure that before I even think about putting the bit in the drill lol.

Mr_Shed
2nd February 2014, 20:57
When I did my tourer I had to fit the fin...very scary drilling big holes in the roof

So are the fins a better option, is that for TV or radio reception. presume look better than sticking antennas on the window,

Already sweating about a hole in the roof ............

Greeners
2nd February 2014, 20:57
Ok that's reassuring then as don't want to start installing to get frustrated with it. I need to investigate the abs connection, I presume I can make up a small harness for this if it's missing.
OMG drilling holes in the roof now I'm frightened lol, can't imagine how many times I would measure that before I even think about putting the bit in the drill lol.

Don't panic.... you don't need to drill any holes, it's only the tourer that has an external receiver. The saloon one lives under the parcel shelf

I've never had a car without the ABS connector present, there were a few early cars that didn't.

Mr_Shed
2nd February 2014, 20:58
Some more reading for you and it describes the routing of the wiring loom.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13295&highlight=line

Dave T

That's great Dave thank you for the link.

Greeners
2nd February 2014, 21:00
I used to have one that colour
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/10944f4b97d987ae8.jpg

Mr_Shed
2nd February 2014, 21:04
I used to have one that colour

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/10944f4b97d987ae8.jpg

Looking very nice sir, i think myself lucky to have one of only 35 saloons made in Chagall. I got mine off friend who had her since 6 months old and was an ex demo so has few nice options, spent lot time and money getting her back into good shape, not that she was a wreck just needed some tlc.

Greeners
2nd February 2014, 21:07
I had to sell mine to buy a V8....

Mr_Shed
2nd February 2014, 21:24
I can understand that, would like one those too lol.

Mr_Shed
11th February 2014, 19:56
Right then I'm hoping to collect my highline satnav this weekend :D. Just wondering if you guys could help with my next question, is there a way of being able to connect my iphone to it either by hard wiring or Bluetooth.
As ever thanks in advance

Greeners
11th February 2014, 20:03
Right then I'm hoping to collect my highline satnav this weekend :D. Just wondering if you guys could help with my next question, is there a way of being able to connect my iphone to it either by hard wiring or Bluetooth.
As ever thanks in advance

You can add the bluetooth module from BMW, but it's pricey, or all i did was use an ageing nokia handsfree unit for my iPhone, it also supports voice dialling

Greeners
11th February 2014, 20:29
bmw bluetooth (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7821)

Mr_Shed
11th February 2014, 20:48
More reading lol, thank you again David. :D

suffolk boy
11th February 2014, 21:54
fitted the whole bmw bluetooth to mine works very well.the main bit is the ulf some work better than others you need to get the most recent one you can. there are or where 13 different generations of them one for each year roughly of production.mine is out of a 2006 model

Mr_Shed
16th February 2014, 10:20
Hi guys, collected the Highline yesterday off Mike, all looks good, so after getting it all out to look through I noticed the plug that interfaces to the car is a round pin type (I think that is what it is called). From what I remember when I installed my sony head unit my car has ISO connectors, I have found adapter cable on eBay would this be correct?

Also what is the small plug for in the above pic, is it steering wheel?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350831276490?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

Hope that works as never done web link before!!

Also in my box of toys I have two very long leads with ISO connectors each end which I can't see a use for, could you confirm please

Greeners
16th February 2014, 10:25
small connector is for the ABS connection......

there will be a connector low down on the LHS of the centre console. Early cars were 17 pin later cars were ISO.....chances are it'll be ISO as yours is a late car, in which case you'll need BMW to ISO Lead

Mr_Shed
16th February 2014, 10:41
small connector is for the ABS connection......

there will be a connector low down on the LHS of the centre console. Early cars were 17 pin later cars were ISO.....chances are it'll be ISO as yours is a late car, in which case you'll need BMW to ISO Lead

Thanks Greeners, I will order an adapter harness later.

Mr_Shed
17th February 2014, 17:32
Ok first part of the install:}, been doing bit research and realised I'm going from ISO on car to BMW plug on the highline harness, seems easy to get BMW to ISO harness but not in reverse. as I don't want to cut into the cars wiring if possible I will make up a harness to suit, Mike has kindly sending me the car end 17 pin plug with spare cable, so just needs me to add on the ISO end to match the car. My reading up has identified the following, the key ones I could do with advice is Black pins 1, 2 & 3 please:

Black ISO. 17 Pin Plug. Function
1. 10. Tel on / speed signal. :shrug:
2. 4. Phone mute. :shrug:
3. 7. I BUS. :shrug:
4. 9. 12V Direct
5. 13. 12V Illumination
6. 16. 12V Aerial
7. 5. 12V ACC
8. 15. GND

Brown ISO. 17 Pin Plug. Function
1. 6. Spk Rear Right +
2. 14. Spk Rear Right -
3. 2. Spk Front Right +
4. 11. Spk Front Right -
5. 1. Spk Front Left +
6. 8. Spk Front Left -
7. 3. Spk Rear Left +
8. 12. Spk Rear Left -

In addition with the I BUS ( presume this is K BUS) if I context this up I presume there is no T4 required.

Thanks for your help as ever

Tony

Greeners
17th February 2014, 18:21
Have you checked at the bottom of the centre console ?

You don't use the same connectors that go in the back of the existing headunit, you used the main harness one.

Mr_Shed
17th February 2014, 18:33
Hi Greeners, sorry if I'm being hi maintenance was just trying to get information together prior to pulling anything apart. I haven't looked tbh, I believe I plug the new harness I have into the car harness behind the head unit so combining the two into one harness, is that correct?

Greeners
17th February 2014, 18:35
Hi Greeners, sorry if I'm being hi maintenance was just trying to get information together prior to pulling anything apart. I haven't looked tbh, I believe I plug the new harness I have into the car harness behind the head unit so combining the two into one harness, is that correct?

No, the highline loom plugs in at floor level left handside of the centre console

Mr_Shed
17th February 2014, 19:30
Ok think I will have pull out current head unit and have a nose inside. Could you confirm what sort of plug or connector I'm looking for please.

Thanks in advance.

Greeners
17th February 2014, 19:31
your looking for either a BMW connector or a pair of ISO ones

Mr_Shed
17th February 2014, 19:31
Ok I will have a look this coming weekend.

Mr_Shed
25th February 2014, 19:14
Right I have pulled the front dash out and had a good rummage, interesting I have found ISO connectors at top but when looked in bottom LH side as recommended above I found a BMW plug! Is this just an extension harness, looks original fitment. So it seems I have both types installed. Please see pictures below, I believe I also found the small connector for abs signal too.

With this in mind do I either connect to ISO or BMW plug, presume best method is to go straight into BMW one.

Thanks in advance

Greeners
25th February 2014, 19:18
Right I have pulled the front dash out and had a good rummage, interesting I have found ISO connectors at top but when looked in bottom LH side as recommended above I found a BMW plug! Is this just an extension harness, looks original fitment. So it seems I have both types installed. Please see pictures below, I believe I also found the small connector for abs signal too.

With this in mind do I either connect to ISO or BMW plug, presume best method is to go straight into BMW one.

Thanks in advance

that's the one I mentioned originally. Unplug the ISO connectors from the BMW connector and simply plug your sat nav loom in there....(and the ABS connector as well)

Mr_Shed
25th February 2014, 19:28
Thanks Greeners, I didn't doubt you just didn't understand location and having both types, thank you for your help

I will make start installing some of hardware in boot over coming week and take some pictures.

Greeners
25th February 2014, 19:30
Thanks Greeners, I didn't doubt you just didn't understand location and having both types, thank you for your help

I will make start installing some of hardware in boot over coming week and take some pictures.

Best place to start is in the boot and work forward, that way you can always find somewhere to tuck the loom if you run out of time or weather inturupts proceedings.

One of my cars I did on night shift in between call outs !!!!

Mr_Shed
25th February 2014, 19:39
Best place to start is in the boot and work forward, that way you can always find somewhere to tuck the loom if you run out of time or weather inturupts proceedings.

One of my cars I did on night shift in between call outs !!!!

That makes perfect sense to me :D.

Mr_Shed
26th February 2014, 12:13
Silly question, but will I need T4 session for Satnav system once installed as its connected to K-BUS system?

MN190
26th February 2014, 12:29
It will work without a T4 session but if you want the trip display info on the screen such as MPG, distance travelled etc then you will need a t4 session

Mr_Shed
26th February 2014, 12:35
It will work without a T4 session but if you want the trip display info on the screen such as MPG, distance travelled etc then you will need a t4 session

Thats good so can get it all working then have it 'updated' as such to enable the above information. :D

Thanks MN190 :bowdown:

Mr_Shed
2nd March 2014, 16:55
So today I had spare hour after work so I plugged everything in and fired it up, screen lit up and had main display, didn't get any further as started to rain heavily.

Couple questions, found the following small black plug by the head unit blue and white plugs, is this for steering controls? Can't find associated plug on car at the moment but being ZT with infra red Kenwood don't know if it would be there.

Duotone
2nd March 2014, 17:25
Pretty sure the black plug is for this...

The steering wheel interface..

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l45/newfeather/Radio/steeringwheelinterface.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/newfeather/media/Radio/steeringwheelinterface.jpg.html)

Dave T

Mr_Shed
9th March 2014, 06:59
Morning guys, have ordered load fixings from Rimmers for installing satnav system so will probably book few days off work and start installing :D. First priorities will be getting radio and satnav working, cd and digital tv can be added later, as my car didn't originally have highline can I just connect the radio arial connection to the current rear screen?

Greeners
9th March 2014, 15:52
Morning guys, have ordered load fixings from Rimmers for installing satnav system so will probably book few days off work and start installing :D. First priorities will be getting radio and satnav working, cd and digital tv can be added later, as my car didn't originally have highline can I just connect the radio arial connection to the current rear screen?

I've done a how to for aerial connections on a retro fit....

Mr_Shed
24th March 2014, 08:12
So today I start installing satnav :D

Mr_Shed
24th March 2014, 16:54
Made lot progress, got all units in if not finally fixed and managed to get it all switched on and working. Although satnav seems to think its 70 miles away in Bordon still lol. I haven't fixed the Trimble unit yet but sited in open boot but expect need drive for it to find itself. 3200032001

Mr_Shed
24th March 2014, 19:53
So today out came the interior

Pulled centre dash out and pulled harness through the correct route

Mr_Shed
24th March 2014, 19:55
Installed satnav computer, radio & visual units

Then installed bordmonitor and fired her up :D

Greeners
24th March 2014, 20:59
well done ........

Mr_Shed
25th March 2014, 20:05
Question time please. Ok got things working, ok no aerial connected for radio or tv, although tv needs freeview, I have the gps antenna loosely fitted but when all fired up the satnav still thinks it's 70 miles away, I have read take few minutes to find location, is there anything I'm missing or am I too far ahead of myself.

Greeners
26th March 2014, 13:34
Question time please. Ok got things working, ok no aerial connected for radio or tv, although tv needs freeview, I have the gps antenna loosely fitted but when all fired up the satnav still thinks it's 70 miles away, I have read take few minutes to find location, is there anything I'm missing or am I too far ahead of myself.

They can take a while to sort themselves out.....

Mr_Shed
29th March 2014, 12:15
Sorted it, bad connection to gps antenna. So now have satnav plus got radio connected via single connection as per your helpful aerial link thank you. Now got tidy it all up and sort cd into boot.

Mr_Shed
29th March 2014, 19:14
So buttoned it all up and tested and working. Very happy chappy:D. Need to sort cd unit out but do that another day.

Greeners
29th March 2014, 19:29
well done :bowdown:

Mr_Shed
29th March 2014, 19:38
Had couple beers now so going do my thank you's tomorrow. But a direct thank you to you David for your help. Radio reception is poor but will look into dab options in future.

Mike Noc
29th March 2014, 21:08
Glad to see everything up and running Tony. :D

Having taken it all out I can appreciate the amount of work it must have been to re-install it. :bowdown:

Mr_Shed
30th March 2014, 07:08
Morning gentlemen,

Well yesterday was a very productive day, sighted all units correctly and routed harness to the correct route, lifting carpet was quite a job but made easier by pulling seats out last week. I think the hardest part was pulling out the parcel shelf as I have powered blind, but disconnected all cable around it to prevent damage. So with gps antenna installed switched her on and hey presto 7 satellites and 'position known' so satnav now working with the aid of 06 disc bought off the bay.

Radio now working also but reception is poor, I only used the one larger aerial connection as non highline rear screen, although local radios are poor on my other vehicle and prior sony head unit so not fault of system. Can you get a DAB set up to connect with highline, or is that another thread.

I have run extra cables with original harness so I can relocate the CD unit to the boot over coming weeks, combined with power cable in perpetration for freeview box for TV. Could that be used for radio same as at home?

Only thing in boot to finalise is the liner which will match with the satnav box to tidy it up.

Car is all back to normal and looking great with bordmonitor in place ( I will add some picture later), I'm very pleased with the install and has been aided greatly by you guys here, so my thanks go to Greeners, Suffolk Boy, Duotone and MN190 for advise and assistance, finally Mike Noc for providing me with the Highline system complete with wiring and advise. Thank you all.

I think this is only the beginning of my journey with this system as loads of upgrades etc but I now have the core system in place to enjoy.

Now off to watch F1, hope you all have good Sunday.

peterv6
30th March 2014, 15:35
I have just installed a Waeco MS50 cruise controle and need the speed signal.
Do you know where I can find it?

Mr_Shed
30th March 2014, 19:11

Hi peterv6, I'm looking to instal oem set up so I'm afraid I can't answer your question, might be worth raising a new thread in the technical section where you may get better response.

suffolk boy
30th March 2014, 19:14
i would imagine the car sends the speed signal from the front abs sensor to the ipk.so it should be a case of finding which wire it is and take it from there

Mr_Shed
30th March 2014, 19:23
i would imagine the car sends the speed signal from the front abs sensor to the ipk.so it should be a case of finding which wire it is and take it from there

Is that the small connector next to the 17 pin BMW plug then as that from the front wheel sensors isn't it?

peterv6
30th March 2014, 19:25
Hi peterv6, I'm looking to instal oem set up so I'm afraid I can't answer your question, might be worth raising a new thread in the technical section where you may get better response.

Has already been done!:}

I wonder if the abs sensor signal goes straight to the ipk or thru a ecu which transforms the signal to a speed signal?

Mr_Shed
30th March 2014, 19:27
This one, small one on left with green/red wires

peterv6
30th March 2014, 19:28
Is that the small connector next to the 17 pin BMW plug then as that from the front wheel sensors isn't it?

WHERE, WHERE, WHERE is it located!?:D

suffolk boy
30th March 2014, 19:29
Has already been done!:}

I wonder if the abs sensor signal goes straight to the ipk or thru a ecu which transforms the signal to a speed signal?
i think the unit that translates the signal is in the ipk itself.i think this subject is best .as suggested moved to the tech section under a new heading.:}

Mr_Shed
30th March 2014, 19:29
WHERE, WHERE, WHERE is it located!?:D

It's behind ashtray unit in front console. Need to confirm these are right cables first though.

Mr_Shed
2nd April 2014, 10:03
Silly question. I hopefully have some black clips coming for the BMW plugs soon. Thing is they are for blue and white plugs on the bordmonitor, can I just unplug these with just ignition off ie key out or should I disconnect battery again?
Thanks in advance.

suffolk boy
2nd April 2014, 10:13
make sure the light has gone out on the sat nav b4 doing anything

Mr_Shed
3rd April 2014, 17:34
make sure the light has gone out on the sat nav b4 doing anything

That's great, I will get them sorted over this coming weekend.

Mr_Shed
10th April 2014, 19:02
Ok I have made bit progress sourcing plugs and cables to make an adapter from the CD plug to Intravee/Grom unit, ie Rover 10 pin to BMW 6 & 3 pin plugs. Would anyone have the pin details or a diagram so I can assure I make up the adapter correctly please.

Mr_Shed
12th April 2014, 16:17
Today I connected up the diversity aerial so now have use of three FM aerials. Reception seems much improved and clearer.

Odd thing is I get the station name come up but not at the right frequency, it seems to be .1 out. Any ideas, does something need resetting.

Mr_Shed
17th April 2014, 19:09
Freeview box ordered from radio guy and adapter cables so hopefully working tv soon.

Mr_Shed
29th July 2014, 12:26
Thought I would do a brief update:

System has run fault free, CD player works perfectly and radio much clearer once I installed the diversity aerial. I have used the satnav in anger a few times and use it intermittently just because I can lol.

I have also included a few upgrades as parts came along:
Since installing the highline system I have upgraded to BMW widescreen unit, no difference for audio use but made visibility of satnav much better and will be better screen for TV.
I have also added the BM24 radio unit, this has much improved the audio experience being much clearer and quality sound. The other added benefit of the BM24 is the radio search facility and on screen live data for current available stations.
Haven't yet installed the freeview as started a new job but now have all parts so will fit in next few weeks.
Next thing will be an intravee unit to integrate my iphone.

Mr_Shed
2nd August 2014, 16:03
Trial installed freeview today, works fantastic so far :) . Just need to permanently install now. Topgear when I want :D

Mr_Shed
2nd August 2014, 16:04

Topgear when I want :D

Mr_Shed
7th September 2014, 15:23
Further update,

Now have an intravee unit so can now play my ipod through highline which is great plus it's other functions, that's covered under highline thread.

Now for the cruise control, actuator, ECU and relay installed, while sorting the freeview I installed the CC main switch. So today I removed the airbag and installed the steering wheel controls, all that left is the vacuum pump which I will do in few weeks.