PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 diesel automatic gearbox problem

Bmmf280
30th January 2014, 11:51
Hello guys, i have a 2002 rover 75 diesel with automatic gearbox but now I'm having a problem. When the car is cold i can drive trough all gears but when i drive 10/15 minutes the car engages the R the Park but when i put it into D (drive) it doesn't engage the first gear and doesn't move!
Anyone know something about this?

crofts
31st January 2014, 05:38
Sounds like a solenoid problem to me.
These are easily checked and can be replaced without box removal. (use search above)
I cannot recall seeing a similar problem over many years of taking an interest but others may come up with other suggestions

willster
31st January 2014, 16:34
Sounds like a solenoid problem to me.
These are easily checked and can be replaced without box removal. (use search above)
I cannot recall seeing a similar problem over many years of taking an interest but others may come up with other suggestions

Cant really comment on these symptoms as when my brake duty solenoid went the car was jerking through the cars very abruptly. I think there is a way of resetting the gearbox ECU by pulling and replacing a fuse. I would try this first then start taking resistances of the solenoids at the multiplug . If none are found to be faulty try a gearbox oil change with genuine oil and pray!

James.uk
31st January 2014, 16:37
As above.. :)

Bmmf280
1st February 2014, 22:36
Thanks for all the replies :}
I've searched a lot about this problem but i didn't found nothing similar. My mechanic has already tested the solenoids with the scheme posted in another thread and they are all alright. He has no ideia what can it be.
Does anyone know where is that fuse and how I reset the gearbox ECU?

Greeners
1st February 2014, 22:38
Has the fluid been changed recently ?

Bmmf280
1st February 2014, 23:37
Yes my mechanic changed the fluid about 1 month ago..

Greeners
1st February 2014, 23:38
penny to a pound it's got the wrong fluid in it then....

SD1too
2nd February 2014, 08:49
penny to a pound it's got the wrong fluid in it then....
:wot:

Bruno; you live in Portugal, yes? Here (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1138687&postcount=23) is a list of the fluids available in the U.K. which meet the specification quoted by MG Rover. For fluids available locally to you, look on the container to see if it meets the specification "N402", but I imagine that you won't have any luck. The MG Rover/X-Part fluid is available from Rimmer Bros. by mail order, and the Ravenol ATF is available from their on-line shop (http://www.ravenol-shop.co.uk/shop/category_78/RAVENOL-ATF-JF506E.html?sessid=Z17dpUS9DfKFQFgVfPHubcp4J6yXCru U3L2MkEGrSZc39SNM0zjbeaBuFUWk3iPe&shop_param=cid%3D%26).

If your mechanic uses the traditional gravity draining method, you will need several changes in succession since approximately half the fluid remains in the torque converter. Alternatively, a club member devised a way of emptying the circuit completely using the gearbox's pump, but great care must be taken with this.

Also ensure that your mechanic is familiar with the level-checking procedure. The plug is on the bottom surface of the gearbox casing.

Simon

Bmmf280
3rd February 2014, 16:28
Thanks for all the replies :)
Yes, I'm from Portugal, here I can buy the "Valvoline Max life ATF" that has the "N402" spec.
Tomorrow I'm going to see my mechanic and I let you know about the news.
Thanks

Bmmf280
6th February 2014, 17:51
hello again fellows,
unfortunately my mechanic changed the fluid for a "N402" spec but the gearbox remain with the same problem. I took it for a drive it engaged all the gears vey well but when I stopped the car and tried to move forward again it didn't engaged the first gear, I tried a lot of times to move from N to D and through all the position but it only engages P,R and N.
My mechanic noticed also today that when he changes from P to R or R to N he hears a "relay" sound coming from the passenger footwell, but when he changes from N to D he doesn't hear that sound :shrug:
Thanks again for the help

Greeners
6th February 2014, 18:34
unfortunately my mechanic changed the fluid for a "N402" spec but the gearbox remain with the same problem.

I would find out what make of fluid he used

Bmmf280
6th February 2014, 18:38
He used Valvoline Maxlife ATF

Greeners
6th February 2014, 18:44
He used Valvoline Maxlife ATF

According to the spec sheet, it's not compatable with the Jatco box

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

beinet1
6th February 2014, 19:30
I think there are several types of Valvoline ATF Maxlife. Here is the datasheet of the one I have in mine, and it is N402 compilant:

http://valvoline.no/images/products/PI%20sheet%20MaxLife%20ATF%20220-13.pdf

Bmmf280
6th February 2014, 20:07
Yes there are two versions of valvoline Maxlife ATF i think, my version is compatible with N402, it says Jatco N402 in the box :}

Greeners
6th February 2014, 20:22
Did you have problems before the fluid change ?

Bmmf280
6th February 2014, 20:41
No i didn't had any problem with the autobox before, the fluid was changed because the radiator of the autobox broke

Greeners
6th February 2014, 20:46
I'd still put my money on the fluid then...

SD1too
6th February 2014, 21:44
Bruno, do you think that your transmission selector linkage might need adjustment?

Simon

Bmmf280
6th February 2014, 21:57
i don't think so, my mechanic checked that and it was all right too, no adjustment needed :shrug:

SD1too
7th February 2014, 08:39
I think there are several types of Valvoline ATF Maxlife.
http://valvoline.no/images/products/PI%20sheet%20MaxLife%20ATF%20220-13.pdf
I think Einar has solved the riddle. The fluid he used is named "Maxlife ATF" and meets N402 specification.

According to the spec sheet, it's not compatable with the Jatco box
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf
Whereas yours David is named "Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF" and does not!
Not very sensible product labelling by Valvoline. :rolleyes:
It's good that you've alerted everyone to that subtle difference David; many thanks.

Simon

willster
7th February 2014, 19:35
perhaps your mechanic put to much or not enough fluid in ? There is a specific procedure for doing it which takes into account the temperature of the fluid. I would get it done again with correct fluid and quantity double checked . Also think if there could be any problems or blockages with the new parts he fitted to replace the broken ones , it sounds like it must be related

75Connie
7th February 2014, 20:06
IF your problems are due to incorrect fluid having been put in, assuming the normal fluid change method was used, only a half to two thirds of the fluid will be new. This is because, whenever you change the Auto fluid that's all that gets changed. Accordingly, what you now have in the gearbox is a proportion of new to old of approx 66:33. If you now change again, you will not remove all the wrong fluid, and will have a gearbox with a mix of fluids which may still cause problems.

There is a procedure for ensuring a fluid change that is closer to a 100% change that your mechanic would need to understand and perform.

Again, that is IF your problem has been caused by wrong fluid.