PDA

View Full Version : Rear Door - Frozen Won't Shut

rik007
30th January 2014, 13:39
Hi, anyone got a solution for frozen rear doors?

On my '75 2.0 CDT Tourer as soon as the weather gets below zero, the rear door mechanisms seem to freeze. You can just about open the door but then the locking mechanism stays open and you cant then close the door and get it to latched closed. Seems there is a latch that will not spring back after the door has been opened.

Eventually after its warmed up a little the door works just fine.

It's real problem for us as we cant get our nipper to school in the morning.

Anyone else has this?

Cheers, Rich

Alan123
30th January 2014, 13:51
Hi, anyone got a solution for frozen rear doors?

On my '75 2.0 CDT Tourer as soon as the weather gets below zero, the rear door mechanisms seem to freeze. You can just about open the door but then the locking mechanism stays open and you cant then close the door and get it to latched closed. Seems there is a latch that will not spring back after the door has been opened.

Eventually after its warmed up a little the door works just fine.

It's real problem for us as we cant get our nipper to school in the morning.

Anyone else has this?

Cheers, Rich
One of the joys of our cars I'm afraid but if ur in a rush to get off just pour some warm water over the door catch and away you go.

rrobson
30th January 2014, 14:05
As above. Pour some warm water over the door handle

Works every time for me :)

rik007
30th January 2014, 15:13
Thanks Gents, I think my wife did try pouring a kettle of boiling water into the door itself, but I may advise she just keeps it to the external door handles then.

I thought there may be a way of dealing with the prob form within the lock, but warm water it is :-)

Many thanks,

Rich:}

coab
30th January 2014, 15:31
I had this on the drivers door last week! I have soaked the inner latch on the side of the door with WD40 but yet to see if it happens again.:}

hughiep
30th January 2014, 15:52
It used to happen on my wifes megane and I soaked it in wd40..never froze after that.

billericaymgxpower
30th January 2014, 17:27
WD 40 has resolved this problem for me too.

RPWC
30th January 2014, 17:31
Have heard this before, drench it in wd40 seems to work.