PDA

View Full Version : MG ZT 1.8 turbo rpm bounce

Mike Farr
30th January 2014, 15:03
Firstly I would like to say a big hello.

I have recently purchased my very first MG ZT. Its the 1.8t will get around to posting a picture eventually.

I have a few questions/concerns and would like to know if it the norm or something to worry about.

So firstly I have noticed when idle, no climate control turned on, lights off ect the rpm seems to bounce between 600 & 800 rpm. Its worth noting the fool before me was running it without an air filter and holes drilled in the box.

Secondly only when turning I sometimes get a bit of a boot rattle.

Any help would be appreciated, and in return I will gladly help out as and when I can.

Cheers

danbmx_69
30th January 2014, 17:37
my car allways did this on idle form when i have had it, few weeks ago i changed the lambda sensor and the spark plugs( due to emissions fail on MOT) and now subsequently the idle is as stedy as a rock :}

pab
30th January 2014, 17:42
It's very rare to see a 1.8T idle smoothly, there is a always a little fluctuation. The Stepper Motor on the Inlet could be the problem. This really needs to be fine tuned on a T4.

marinabrian
30th January 2014, 18:18
It's very rare to see a 1.8T idle smoothly, there is a always a little fluctuation. The Stepper Motor on the Inlet could be the problem. This really needs to be fine tuned on a T4.

Mine idles beautifully :p:

Probably needs the IACV setting up correctly, this is a T4 job, so have a word with Terry in Stourbridge ;)

Brian :D

Mike Farr
31st January 2014, 07:02
Well thanks for the replies guys hopefully I can get to the bottom of this and try and get one of this fine tune done. I suppose it cannot hurt to change the plugs and sensor so I will give that a go in the mean time.

Mike Farr
31st January 2014, 07:25
my car allways did this on idle form when i have had it, few weeks ago i changed the lambda sensor and the spark plugs( due to emissions fail on MOT) and now subsequently the idle is as stedy as a rock :}

Could this also be the reason tje car is drinking fuel like its going out of fashion? Even with a light foot?

pab
31st January 2014, 07:33
Could this also be the reason tje car is drinking fuel like its going out of fashion? Even with a light foot?
This could be down to a faulty coolant sensor, the ECU would fuel the car as if it's cold and perhaps would account for a fast idle.

The car really needs to be hooked up to a T4 to pinpoint the problem.

stevestrat
31st January 2014, 12:17
It's very rare to see a 1.8T idle smoothly, there is a always a little fluctuation. The Stepper Motor on the Inlet could be the problem. This really needs to be fine tuned on a T4.I have the 1.8T erratic idle, comes with the territory. It was improved by Brian and his magic box, discovered my stepper motor had never been adjusted!

Mike Farr
4th February 2014, 07:16
Would just like to say thanks you to all! rpm bounce is now solved, it wasin fact the stepper motor was set too low so it was almost stalling.

Also I had a run on diagnostic turns out my cousin has one. Big MG/Rover fanatic.

Oh just out of curiosity i will be going to Pride of Longbridge with my cousin, anyone from here?