PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from Steering Column

gmoir_2
30th January 2014, 16:15
Hi,

Went to go to work this morning and when I put the headlights on, there was a bulb out light on the dashboard. By the time I had got 150m down the road, I could smell burning plastic and there was smoke coming from under the steering column.

I haven't had a chance to have a look at it yet, but I think it may be linked to the headlights as I drove the car with hazards on back to my house.

Does anyone have any ideas about the best places to start looking. My first guess was the switch which I will have a look at tomorrow, but any other ideas?

Thanks for any and all help.

G

carl_z_t
30th January 2014, 16:47
could it be coming from the light module?water ingress?

Lovel
30th January 2014, 16:55
Hi,

Went to go to work this morning and when I put the headlights on, there was a bulb out light on the dashboard. By the time I had got 150m down the road, I could smell burning plastic and there was smoke coming from under the steering column.

I haven't had a chance to have a look at it yet, but I think it may be linked to the headlights as I drove the car with hazards on back to my house.

Does anyone have any ideas about the best places to start looking. My first guess was the switch which I will have a look at tomorrow, but any other ideas?

Thanks for any and all help.

G

I would be disconnecting the battery pretty sharpish if I were you. :eek:

Check this link out with suspect LSM.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=161067&highlight=fire+lsm

gmoir_2
30th January 2014, 18:18
Battery was disconnected as soon as I got back home.

Lovel
31st January 2014, 06:38
Battery was disconnected as soon as I got back home.

If you are stuck and need a replacement LCM coded to your car with T4 give me a shout.

gmoir_2
31st January 2014, 10:01
Hi,

Thanks for the offer. Can you recode a 2nd hand one or just a new one?

I'm going to have a look at it today if the rain stops and I'll get back to you.

gmoir_2
31st January 2014, 10:33
I moved the car onto the drive this morning and the bulb warning is for the rear lights. I pulled the LSM and from what I can see it doesn't appear to have any burn marks on the PCB. Does anyone know how to remove the plug to remove the LSM from the car completely? I think this will let me remove the PCB to allow a full inspection. None of the wiring above the drivers foot well appears to be burnt or melted either.

gmoir_2
31st January 2014, 14:34
After some investigation today, it would appear to be the LSM that was smoking. I reconnected the battery and tried the lights and there was no smoke at all.

The rear lights don't work but the brake lights come on at half brightness instead. I have read on the forum that this is what happens when the tail lights are not working. I guess the bit in the LSM that drives the tail lights is what has burnt out.

My only worry now is if I buy a replacement at around £200 and reconnect it, will whatever caused the fault blow the new component?

Thanks for any help.

t5tart
31st January 2014, 14:53
After some investigation today, it would appear to be the LSM that was smoking. I reconnected the battery and tried the lights and there was no smoke at all.

The rear lights don't work but the brake lights come on at half brightness instead. I have read on the forum that this is what happens when the tail lights are not working. I guess the bit in the LSM that drives the tail lights is what has burnt out.

My only worry now is if I buy a replacement at around £200 and reconnect it, will whatever caused the fault blow the new component?

Thanks for any help.

check your lighting circuit fuse ratings

have you got water ingress round the rear light seals ?

Lovel
31st January 2014, 15:53
Hi,

Thanks for the offer. Can you recode a 2nd hand one or just a new one?

I'm going to have a look at it today if the rain stops and I'll get back to you.

Yes, secondhand can be done. The mileage I enter into your LSM will be as per your IPK.

Get your self down to Persley scrappy on Sat, and try to get one of the same vintage. Watch out for version with front fog light switch if thats what you have in yours already?

gmoir_2
2nd February 2014, 16:56
Thanks,

Ordered a second hand LSM from ebay. Hopefully it will be here this week.

I will PM you once I have it fitted to arrange getting it programmed.

Lovel
2nd February 2014, 17:14
Thanks,

Ordered a second hand LSM from ebay. Hopefully it will be here this week.

I will PM you once I have it fitted to arrange getting it programmed.

I just found one in my garage :duh:

Anyway, just give me shout when you are ready, and you can drop in past. Will also give your car a once over with a critical eye and if you want a T4 diagnostics session.

gmoir_2
4th February 2014, 15:39
The new LSM arrived today and I fitted it. Reconnected battery and turned lights on. Now I have no tail lights and the three brake lights are constantly on. Tried the old LSM again and same story. Front lights and all other lights work as they should.

Now I am stumped as to what the problem could be. Anyone any ideas before I take it to an auto electrician?

stevestrat
4th February 2014, 17:00
I understand the module needs to be coded to the car. It does, read Lovel's post:
If you are stuck and need a replacement LCM coded to your car with T4 give me a shout.

Leyland Worldmaster
4th February 2014, 17:03
It does, read Lovel's post:

Ahhh man! Should have seen that Steve! I'll delete my post! :)

gmoir_2
4th February 2014, 18:33
Hmmm, I love these electrical gremlins...

Now I have all lights working as they should apart from the brake lights. They are constantly on when the engine is on or the ignition is on. Something must have been fried as there was smoke. I'm now thinking it may be the brake light switch but its in too awkward a position to get it out in the dark tonight.

Does anyone else think this could be the cause of the problem? I can't think of any other reason the brake lights would stay on.

gmoir_2
4th February 2014, 18:35
Ahhh man! Should have seen that Steve! I'll delete my post! :)

I think the LSM only needs to be programmed to match up the mileage. I've read it should work the lights fine without needing programmed.

gmoir_2
4th February 2014, 20:34
I just went through all the fuses to see if any were out. Fuse F7 (5A) has blown and I have read elsewhere that this could cause the brake lights to stay on.

This fuse is labelled as being for cruise control or immobilisation. The car starts so I can't see it being the immobiliser and it doesn't have cruise control.

Anyone any further ideas?